Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

English is an FA theres no trade there its offer him enough $ to get them band 1 compo and they wont match.
Hed not be my preferred ruck but we do need one so id consider it.

Smith is a straight trade for our r1 (pick 13-16ish) plus maybe a later pick.
If English wanted to come to Geelong I would support that.

Let’s get out of the always-broken ruck business once and for all.

And if it was a choice between English and smith I would take English every time.

It's a really nice draft to trade out of the first round. Very very consistent and deep with not many stand outs. I hope we cull hard and take plenty of picks.

In particular there are some really nice midfielders and small forwards that will be available late.
who is going to give you picks for the players you willing to cull.

Well he’s not going to Freo with their ruck set up if he’s heading home to WA. And if he thinks WCE with no coach and a crappy list is the answer, then he’s not a smart lad.

Unless he’s off to Freo and Darcy is coming home.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I doubt hes off to WA now that rudi has stopped playing netball there. I would say another vic club is more likely for tim im not sure it would be us though.

As for darcy hes untradeable on that contract its worse than the grundy one.

The fact that he is still on the market after so much chatter over the past 18 months is a strong pointer to him leaving.

The dogs cap is weird because they are actively trying to dump macrae and daniels contracts etc but dont have a buyer yet. So either english is holding out because he thinks that will happen and thinks they will up his offer by 200k if it does. Or hes gone.

who is going to give you picks for the players you willing to cull.

Dont need picks the afl will give you picks at fhe back end of the draft. Just need list spots cleared.

The dogs cap is weird because they are actively trying to dump macrae and daniels contracts etc but dont have a buyer yet. So either english is holding out because he thinks that will happen and thinks they will up his offer by 200k if it does. Or hes gone.
Yeah we can take Macrae's contract and chop the doggies out... and all it will cost is sending us Smith + Macrae for our 4th rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And this is exactly why you don’t do other clubs favours and take bad contracts off their hands.

Unless they pay a handsome price.

add to that the two main guys they want to keep are not signed yet. Bont and Darcy both out of contract end of 2025 and no question should be their highest paid players once they renewed.

where are the dogs going to find the cap room for those two?

add to that the two main guys they want to keep are not signed yet. Bont and Darcy both out of contract end of 2025 and no question should be their highest paid players once they renewed.

where are the dogs going to find the cap room for those two?
They'll figure something out neither of them are leaving

Since he's been discussed here a bit over recent months -

‘CLEARLY UP FOR GRABS': GROWING ‘TENSION’ OVER $7M EXIT

There is “frustration and tension building” between Melbourne and out-of-form superstar Clayton Oliver, with Adelaide the clear contender to land his services should the premiership midfielder leave.

That's according to Footy Classified presenter Sam McClure, who said the Crows’ first-round pick was on offer this trade period as the club seeks to add talent to a list which is heading towards a disappointing bottom-five finish.

Oliver did not enjoy a full pre-season due to his off-field issues, with the Demons briefly considering whether to trade him away late last year. And while he has shown flashes of his Brownlow-level best, his decline in the opening year of a $7 million contract has sparked concern.

“I think he’s clearly up for grabs. If he’s going to leave Melbourne, which is an if at this stage, it will be to the Adelaide Crows,” McClure said on Nine.

“This is a complicated one. Adelaide have made it very clear to the rest of the competition that their first pick is up for grabs - that’s not saying it’ll absolutely be for Clayton Oliver.

“As we sit here tonight, I don’t Melbourne are over the hump with saying they absolutely want to let go of Clayton Oliver.

“There’s frustration and tension building between the two parties, Clayton Oliver is frustrated about lately starting on the bench, this new role that he’s been given, he doesn’t think he’s being utilised the best way he can be. He’s on six years at more than $1.1 million (a season).

He added: “I think there’ll be a conversation with all parties at the end of the year ... but if he’s going to go to the Crows, the Crows aren’t paying all of that money.

“So it’ll be hard to sell to Melbourne members and people that we are trading Clayton Oliver oh and by the way, for the remainder of that deal we're paying a fair chunk of it.”

For the Crows’ part, CEO Tim Silvers wouldn’t be drawn on the club’s specific interest in Oliver when speaking on 3AW last Friday night.

However he declared: “We’re all about making our list better.

“I don’t want to comment on any players but we need to improve our list. We’re looking at different potentials at the moment.”

There is “frustration and tension building” between Melbourne and out-of-form superstar Clayton Oliver, with Adelaide the clear contender to land his services should the premiership midfielder leave.

That's according to Footy Classified presenter Sam McClure, who said the Crows’ first-round pick was on offer this trade period as the club seeks to add talent to a list which is heading towards a disappointing bottom-five finish.

Oliver did not enjoy a full pre-season due to his off-field issues, with the Demons briefly considering whether to trade him away late last year. And while he has shown flashes of his Brownlow-level best, his decline in the opening year of a $7 million contract has sparked concern.

“I think he’s clearly up for grabs. If he’s going to leave Melbourne, which is an if at this stage, it will be to the Adelaide Crows,” McClure said on Nine.

“This is a complicated one. Adelaide have made it very clear to the rest of the competition that their first pick is up for grabs - that’s not saying it’ll absolutely be for Clayton Oliver.

“As we sit here tonight, I don’t Melbourne are over the hump with saying they absolutely want to let go of Clayton Oliver.

“There’s frustration and tension building between the two parties, Clayton Oliver is frustrated about lately starting on the bench, this new role that he’s been given, he doesn’t think he’s being utilised the best way he can be. He’s on six years at more than $1.1 million (a season).

He added: “I think there’ll be a conversation with all parties at the end of the year ... but if he’s going to go to the Crows, the Crows aren’t paying all of that money.

“So it’ll be hard to sell to Melbourne members and people that we are trading Clayton Oliver oh and by the way, for the remainder of that deal we're paying a fair chunk of it.”

For the Crows’ part, CEO Tim Silvers wouldn’t be drawn on the club’s specific interest in Oliver when speaking on 3AW last Friday night.

“I don’t want to comment on any players but we need to improve our list. We’re looking at different potentials at the moment.”

If Clarry gets traded Goodwin is sacked in June or July 2025

Bowes trade > Dew sacked July the next year
Grundy/Treloar trade > Buckley sacked June the next year

If Crows are trading a first round pick for him, Melbourne would want to be kicking in a fair bit of money the next few years for that contract.

This is the crux of it IMO, the Dees can’t risk a trade without getting a lot more than pick 5ish back, let alone paying part of his contract, because Oliver could get back to MVP form.

And nobody with half a brain will pay big and take the full contract after Oliver’s off-season dramas and form drop.

I can’t see how it happens. Are any clubs dumb/desperate/cap-rich enough to pay 2 first rounders and take the full contract? Essendon or the Tigs?

so we should assist the dogs with list management
we offer English $900 as a FA
we take smith and Macrae for our second round pick
dogs sort cap problem and we sort midfield problem everyone happy

so we should assist the dogs with list management
we offer English $900 as a FA
we take smith and Macrae for our second round pick
dogs sort cap problem and we sort midfield problem everyone happy
Reckon 900k for English wouldn't get the job done... but it would be rude not to ask.

I was surprised he was only 28 when I saw that the other day as well. Doubt he will leave. 3 year deal at Geelong and then take a super top up from Tassie. For leadership for the new team, and coming from the best system in the AFL, he should be the first person they sign, even if his playing ability is waning by that stage.
I think some reckon his ability has been waning for a few years now :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back