Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Rohan has been great but I don’t think he can contribute enough anymore. Low possessions and how many head knocks has he had? He would hold back OHenry’s development.

That was my point, Cats going for Martin signals the end of Rohan.

KPF
Neale and Jez

Third Tall/Medium Forward
O Henry
Martin?

High Half Forwards/Smalls
Miers
Dempsey
Stengle
Close
Mannagh

Rohan would be odd one out

SDK, Conway once fit will be in, Edwards gets fit he'll be VFL depth in Ruck spot
Don't see it happening.

Edwards would get snapped in half rucking at this stage and conway is made of glass and stanley is cooked. We 100 % need a ruck.

That was my point, Cats going for Martin signals the end of Rohan.

KPF
Neale and Jez

Third Tall/Medium Forward
O Henry
Martin?

High Half Forwards/Smalls
Miers
Dempsey
Stengle
Close
Mannagh

Rohan would be odd one out

As per Footywire, Martin is listed as 186cm - so he's taller than:

Stengle - 175cm
Mannagh - 178cm
Miers - 178cm
Close - 183cm

But shorter than:
Dempsey - 187cm
O. Henry - 189cm

So he's not really a third tall / medium forward, and also doesn't seem to fit the mould of a small forward - not exactly sure where he fits into things

I wonder if us looking at him is a potential indication of another of our forwards (other than Rohan) looking at moving on, because while we know he has a significant injury history (especially this year), I don't see him willing moving (even as a FA) just to sit in the VFL in case a spot opens up - or maybe a different type of role, such as on the wing

I’ll take Martin on the cheap for sure.

I don’t think we are necessarily the best club for him to choose (assuming he has a few options) because we bat so deep with small/medium forwards.

But hey if he wants us and we can get him into our list for zero… and hopefully on reasonably low $$$ then it’s worth a throw at the stumps.

He has always been on good money so I’m not sure if he’d be coming to us on minimum chips but I have confidence the club wouldn’t be overpaying him.

I can’t deny that Martin over Rohan on our list next year is about 5x more exciting for me… so hopefully it falls that way and Martin can stay healthy (but you can’t expect that).

Did anyone hear Tom Morris on SEN in the last half hour? Apparently he said Jack Martin is all but signed to us as a DFA.
Good signing. High quality, low cost.

I think people will be disappointed if hoping we will sign a ruck.

Looks like we are making no changes to our existing group of ruck options:

Stanley
Conway
Edwards
De Koning
Furphy
Blicavs

The club would have to believe we are short of options as is and I don’t think they’ll see it that way.

Stanley
Conway
Edwards
De Koning
Furphy
Blicavs

The club would have to believe we are short of options as is and I don’t think they’ll see it that way.
It also depends on what plans the club has for SDK. I don't think he likes the restrictions of playing deep in defence on a big forward, and his form down back is now ordinary compared to 2022. The difficulty is how to fit him in to the ruck and midfield, unless they plan for a Blics type role.

Edwards would get snapped in half rucking at this stage and conway is made of glass and stanley is cooked. We 100 % need a ruck.
I would take a cooked Stanley for a year over what's on offer on the 2s but that's just me. Conway's injury run is about the same as Gawns was at the same age and he's turned out OK.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked cooked half way through but Stanley finished the year strongly.

Stanley
Conway
Edwards
De Koning
Furphy
Blicavs

Wonder if the club made any approaches to Nick Bryan - with Draper contracted for another year and Goldstein re-signing, it all reads like another year in the VFL for him

He was the starting ruck in the VFL team of the year and turning 23 next month he approaching that age where he could have that break out year

1727051234068.png

I know he has some flaws but I wouldn’t feel the need to move on Jeka so quickly. He’s on the rookie list for a start so doesn’t open up a main list spot. Plus he’s only 22 and he’s a key position player who dominated the vfl for us this year.
He could come in if needed and he’s young enough to keep developing.
I must’ve been watching different games to you then, didn’t look like it at VFL level let alone AFL.

You can't just make the right player materialise.

Brisbane are going to be playing in a GF with darcy fort of all people (admittedly they will lose but still) and guys like sweet are playing in prelims. And those type of guys are available every year-the equivalent would probably be a ladhams or soldo or obrien or bryan etc this year. And any are arguably an upgrade on what we have (especially as what we have is usually unavailable and the best ability is availability). Yes A grade rucks arent available every year (as theres probably only 6 or so in the league) but its incorrect to say we cant incrementally improve by getting a ruck in.

Looked cooked half way through but Stanley finished the year strongly.

His knee is basically bone on bone (its not a criticism of rhys he does the best he can).

As per Footywire, Martin is listed as 186cm - so he's taller than:

Stengle - 175cm
Mannagh - 178cm
Miers - 178cm
Close - 183cm

But shorter than:
Dempsey - 187cm
O. Henry - 189cm

So he's not really a third tall / medium forward, and also doesn't seem to fit the mould of a small forward - not exactly sure where he fits into things

I wonder if us looking at him is a potential indication of another of our forwards (other than Rohan) looking at moving on, because while we know he has a significant injury history this year, I don't see him willing moving (even as a FA) just to sit in the VFL in case a spot opens up - or maybe a different type of role, such as on the wing

If we are planning on playing him on the wing we are in trouble.
I'm sorry he's a good player when healthy but i don't think he has the two way running capacity to do what our wingers are required to do.

Dempsey covers nearly most km's in the entire League so he's got one wing covered, then we have the other wing which assuming it happens would be a rotation of Holmes, Dempsey, Bruhn, Blics etc that also rotates through the midfield.
Or Miers when he basically plays up the field as a link man.
Seems to be what Scotty likes to do.

Playing the medium tall role is not necessarily about his height (he's almost the same height as OHenry) but about providing options in marking contests but also being able to chase up footy on the ground (what OHenry and Rohan do) and if he can bring pressure to not let easy footy out even better.

We are already overstocked on Small forwards and high half forwards. Doubt any of them are going anywhere anytime soon and he's not a KPF like Neale or Jez.

That only leaves one positional role in our forward line.

Stanley
Conway
Edwards
De Koning
Furphy
Blicavs

We had this debate in 2012 when the club decided not to draft grundy because we had 5 or so rucks including hmac.
Hmac-barely played a year games wise then injured and retired
West-after 2013 traded journeyman then injury retirement
SImpson-crocked by injury
Vardy-crocked by injury and laziness-journeyman flag post geelong
Blicavs-complete long shot but the only one who survived

Meanwhile we cost ourselves flags from 2013-2020 not having grundy.

Stanley-body is more shot than hmac was at the same stage
Conway-same as simpson lots of talent made of glass
Edwards-as underdeveloped physically now as vardy was then (arguably furthe back)
Furphy-where blitz was when he started.
Blicavs-1 year left

Sdk is the outlier here as unlike west or simpson he is legit a topshelf player albeit in a different position. Does he want to play as a no1 ruck and can he physically withstand it?

The club saying we dont need a ruck would be the equivalent of saying we dont need elite high end picks because we have 5 kids we just drafted in the 30s. Numerical number doesnt equal quality or availability.

Guthrie is one I honestly just see as a list clogger at this point, but we wont make a tough call and pay him out with his brother at the club, who was the last 32 year old to come good after missing all of 2 years of footy? Expecting him to slot straight in and be the Cam Guthrie of old borders on delusion for mine and it actually worries me a bit that hes going to take a mid spot on name alone off a kid that could very well be the future of our club
He is entitled to have first crack, 2 time best and fairest winner, an A grader. If he come back and not any good we can look to someone else..

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back