Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

You can’t let personal bias get in the way of this.
Do I think we should get him, on field output- yes with Melb paying some salary
Off field, heck ni
But he is still young, suffers adhd I think I have read.

Should people get a second chance, yes

I personally think it will be late 2nd with Melb paying up some salary

If a year goes by, he stays out of head lines & plays get footy - we would be sitting here going why didn’t we deal last year

Agree there are red flags, has been with current player/s & worked out. Others haven’t

Big risk but the payoff is huge but if it doesn’t, that salary becomes an albatross

The contract is so long it's a huge risk...much much bigger than the Bowes one was. So I'm not sure if I'd even be willing to pay a 2nd.

Ok so this talk of Smith changing his mind and wanting Hawthorn is a bit strange that it coincides with us apparently wanting Oliver, i dont believe we would be going for both nor do we have the currency, ive always said that ill believe it when i see it but this is one of those times where i genuinely am concerned that Smith is just a complete media beat up and he was never coming to us, if that eventuates ill pretty much leave bigfooty for good after whats been written here by some people stating that its a done deal etc. This shit happened with Hopper (worked out well) and it was at the time a massive let down, im extremely pumped to get Smith into this team, some people are extremely hard on him because he shows off his looks but he also trains like a MF and will be a good example for kids coming through, he is exactly what we need. I sincerely hope we havent been duped here.

PS. Dont want Oliver.

The Hawthorn talk re: Smith simply came from some of their fans chatting amongst themselves.... there's no definitive evidence to support it at this point.

And we can quite possibly do both deals, given the apparent turn of events within the MFC. If it's true they can't demand much, which plays into our hands.

A lot to play out though.

Ok so this talk of Smith changing his mind and wanting Hawthorn is a bit strange that it coincides with us apparently wanting Oliver, i dont believe we would be going for both nor do we have the currency, ive always said that ill believe it when i see it but this is one of those times where i genuinely am concerned that Smith is just a complete media beat up and he was never coming to us, if that eventuates ill pretty much leave bigfooty for good after whats been written here by some people stating that its a done deal etc. This shit happened with Hopper (worked out well) and it was at the time a massive let down, im extremely pumped to get Smith into this team, some people are extremely hard on him because he shows off his looks but he also trains like a MF and will be a good example for kids coming through, he is exactly what we need. I sincerely hope we havent been duped here.

PS. Dont want Oliver.
There's no beat up, Geelong are into Smith and have been for a long time. He also wants to come to Geelong (well at last I heard) but it isn't done until the trade is done. Doesn't mean the info was incorrect all along.
Talk about Oliver isn't new and it was always going to pop up again near trade week.

R1 next year:

Fb. Stewart. SDK. Henry
Hb. Humphries. Blicavs. Zuthrie
C. Holmes. Oliver. Dempsey
Hf. Miers. Cameron. Mannagh
Ff. Stengel. Neale. Henry
Foll. Conway. Smith. Dangerfield
Int. Close. Bruhn. Bowes. Guthrie
Sub. Mullin

Emg. Kolo. Stanley. Martin

Depth: Duncan. Clark. Atkins. COS. O’Connor

The contract is so long it's a huge risk...much much bigger than the Bowes one was. So I'm not sure if I'd even be willing to pay a 2nd.
The salary cap will rise, so if melb pay $300k. It a couple of years, $700k would probably be avg wage for an afl player
The risk is more will he be dedicated both on & off field

A pick in the 30 ish range would be worth the risk imo

Will wait to see if this kindling is about to flame up or fizzle out

The thought of a both healthy, fit & firing Oliver & Smith has to be a bit appealing ….(the risk though ….)

Oliver couldn't be a worse gamble than Jack Steven was (from a 'cultural' perspective, anyway)

The salary cap will rise, so if melb pay $300k. It a couple of years, $700k would probably be avg wage for an afl player
The risk is more will he be dedicated both on & off field

A pick in the 30 ish range would be worth the risk imo

Will wait to see if this kindling is about to flame up or fizzle out

The thought of a both healthy, fit & firing Oliver & Smith has to be a bit appealing ….(the risk though ….)
Rumour was Oliver's contract is indexing with the increases so would be approx 1.3m pa

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is concerning if that is the case

Could we smooth the payments similar to Bowes or stuck with the original contract terms?

He turned 27 in July, and with him still having 6 years to run on his current deal, it could be hard to try and smooth the payments with an extension as you’re then getting into a contract length of 7 or 8 years which would be crazy & irresponsible - or at least that’s how I feel in regards to those super long contracts

Not really, the contract basically runs the length of this useful career
Paying $1 mil (even with melb paying some) for a player at the end of that term could be a deal breaker
Unless we are all for the now & worry about the future later on type of me mentality but that would go against what we have done in the past

He turned 27 in July, and with him still having 6 years to run on his current deal, it could be hard to try and smooth the payments with an extension as you’re then getting into a contract length of 7 or 8 years which would be crazy & irresponsible - or at least that’s how I feel in regards to those super long contracts
Agree with you there

Unless it was Gary jnr

That is concerning if that is the case

Could we smooth the payments similar to Bowes or stuck with the original contract terms?
The only likely way to get around it is Melbourne pay part of the contract.

Due to the length, there's not much we can do ourselves there unless Clarry needlessly re-structures the contract to play for less money.

Bowes was a 800k for two years, which we smoothed out over four years.

Clarry's already on a 6 year deal, so there's not much smoothing out for us to do.

I dunno, 8% of the cap until the 2016 draft cohort starts looking at retirement seems like it would significantly impact our future trading options.
There's an argument though that we have to pay 90% of the cap anyway.

I'd still be very wary of it too, and would want Melbourne paying some of it...but it's not like we can just save money for a rainy day here.

It's going somewhere in 2025. Is it better off going to a fully fit Oliver, or paid across 10 fringe players who don't really deserve it?

R1 next year:

Fb. Stewart. SDK. Henry
Sub. Mullin

Conway can’t get on the park, his body is not up to the constant work/rucking. SDK the ruck option with COS in at FB

R1 next year:

Fb. Stewart. SDK. Henry
Sub. Mullin

I am going to assume everyone is fit based on your selections.
1. Kolo won't be emergency, our defence was at its best this season with Kolo/Blicavs/JHenry in the second half of the year. I hope they stick with Blitz back there but if anyone is likely to be changed out of defence its him.
2. Kolo takes SDKs spot, and SDK likely either starts ruck with Conway bench or Conway rucks with SDK on the bench.
3. Stewarts best form this year was in midfield. Even if we get Smith and Oliver he isn't the same type of mid so there is a chance they keep him there, so I guess it depends on which group he spends preseason with/PS matches.
4. Atkins would be in the team ahead Bowes because of the fact he is a defensive, tackling midfielder and the others aren't, the midfield still needs balance.
5. Based on this season and his age/injury history the last 2 seasons I would expect we would see Mullin on the bench and CGuthrie as sub. Mullin doesn't get enough of the ball to be an effective sub.

But theres zero chance if fit Kolo is emergency unless his form plummets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back