Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

This is one of the wildest lines I have ever read.

From a Geelong POV, it’d be like an opposition supporter preferring Brad Close to Max Holmes.

From a Geelong POV, it’d be like an opposition supporter preferring Brad Close to Max Holmes.

Since you mentioned Close - this is something I posted on our first edition of this thread after coming across some random comments on Twitter:

Speaking of Close, when I was searching X earlier for talk about Butters to Geelong, I came across this suggested trade from 2022 by Port fan who didn't want JHF

I love the long sleeves, but where do we sign...

"I personally wouldn’t want him to come to Port, not worth Butters or Rozee. The crows can have JHF cause I’m not interested in squeezing him into our squad. I would trade Zak Butters to Geelong to bring Brad Close back home to SA cause he’s worth a Port steal."

Not all that easy to find ready made mature agers as we know. And I think our list make up next year might largely be determined by the conversations the club chooses to have with Tuohy / Duncan / Rohan. What type of contract do we offer them (and dollars) and how far are those three in particular prepared to stick around knowing they're spending most of the year in the VFL?

VFL is really just "doing it for the love". If we tried to hold blokes just to play development type roles and low ball contracts, then the right thing to do is send them on their way - thank them for their service - and let them find a juicy contract for a year or two elsewhere and on some ok coin.
Most of those guys wont get contracts elsewhere though. Its us or retirement.

Hypothetical trade scenarios for Trac:

GEELONG CATS

Can never rule out the Cats. They have a knack for finding ways to bring in superstars including being seen as the favourite to land Western Bulldogs gun Bailey Smith. As such, that likely puts a line through Geelong and Petracca, unless Cats list boss and football manager Andrew Mackie can weave some magic. As far as pure appeal goes, Geelong under Chris Scott has one of the best cultures in the AFL. So if Petracca were to pursue an off-Broadway type move and want to get out of the bright lights of Melbourne but remain close to home, they make sense.

Current draft picks: 15, 35, 2025 first rounder, 2025 second rounder

All clubs here - https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/te...L3_l2OAiAcWxY7kupk_aem_TNHy89OrQ7hUvm1cTgGRbw

I just can't see how we would have the currency to even enter the discussion, or conceive how Wells & Mackie could possibly conjure up such a trade.

I just can't see how we would have the currency to even enter the discussion, or conceive how Wells & Mackie could possibly conjure up such a trade.
I don’t think it will ever happen.

But, they would find a way to make it happen if Petracca pushed his way out of Melbourne and said he wanted to come to Geelong.

There are plenty of options. Not all would be palatable to most in this board, but there are options.

We’ve spoken about Bailey Smith to the point we wait and see. There’s nothing left to be said on Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I have banned myself from posting about Bailey smith ever again (or at least until he is confirmed in the hoops).

We need a new topic.

LDU anyone?

But, they would find a way to make it happen if Petracca pushed his way out of Melbourne and said he wanted to come to Geelong.

There are plenty of options. Not all would be palatable to most in this board, but there are options.
Which Geelong players do you think are Un tradeable?

This would actually make a good thread...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it pretty funny Viney signed on for three years after the news I received Saturday night.

Full disclosure, the information I received was from a current Melbourne Demons player. I’m currently giving it to him about the misinformation hahaha. Goes to show the divisions within that club. It seems like there’s so many cliques.

Just said to him, “does this mean Oliver might actually want to leave?” Which he laugh reacted.

It makes me wonder if anybody in the club actually speak to one another. Just like Petracca addressing the group after months of being out. How was that not done already? What a rabble.

Oh, for sure - if Petracca nominated Geelong there'd be some really long meetings, but they'd have to cut deep to make it happen.

Like you, I don't think it'll ever happen, and short of him nominating Geelong I doubt the concept will even be considered.

Which Geelong players do you think are Un tradeable?

This would actually make a good thread...
Interesting topic. My completely untradeables would be:

Danger
Cameron
Holmes
Stengle
Zuthrie
Neale
SDK
Dempsey

Stewart and COS are on the border

Everyone else is in the conversation for the right return.

I find it pretty funny Viney signed on for three years after the news I received Saturday night.

Full disclosure, the information I received was from a current Melbourne Demons player. I’m currently giving it to him about the misinformation hahaha. Goes to show the divisions within that club. It seems like there’s so many cliques.

Just said to him, “does this mean Oliver might actually want to leave?” Which he laugh reacted.

It makes me wonder if anybody in the club actually speak to one another. Just like Petracca addressing the group after months of being out. How was that not done already? What a rabble.

Does it create any doubt about the veracity of any other info you've been given?

They have a litany of problems at Melbourne, communication is clearly one of them

Interesting topic. My completely untradeables would be:

Danger
Cameron
Holmes
Stengle
Zuthrie
Neale
SDK
Dempsey

Stewart and COS are on the border

Everyone else is in the conversation for the right return.
Pretty good list, I'd probably remove Neale personally

And I'd list the veterans because we are arguably in contention mode

Otherwise I'd cut it right back to
Holmes, Stengle, Zuth, SDK, Dempsey, COS, Humphries as our next nucleus

With the mass exodus from Richmond, an we go after Noah Balta and Tom Brown?

Does it create any doubt about the veracity of any other info you've been given?

Nah. This is the thing, when I get told something from someone I trust I know they’re telling me their opinion and accounts of something. I don’t deem it to be absolute truth. What I mean by that is things can change quickly, what they’ve been told could be bs and the person who has told them a certain thing could be playing games. For all I know, Viney was upset and told the playing group he’s upset. They assumed he wanted to go and he went and sat down with officials and they offered him a nice fresh contract that put him at ease. It is interesting the also signed Gawn the past week so obviously they’re trying to make statements.

With a current premiership player firmly in their best 22 you’d expect them to know some of what is happening around the club and he obviously thought he knew as well but goes to show why teammates don’t always make the best sources - they’re often kept in the dark until after the fact. Which makes sense.

And I also said on Saturday night, that when he told me Oliver wants to stay, that was directly conflicting the information I received from my Geelong source. Like I’ve said in the past, when I post things I hear. I’m not saying it’s 100% unless I have the disclaimer it’s 100%.

As of right now I can say 100% we believe Smith is coming to us. 100% ANB is leaving Melbourne. 100% Petracca would want out if he could. And 100% we are into Oliver. Other things I’ve heard are rumours and have too many variables to say 100%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back