Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

We've got 7 veterans in the 30+ aged bracket off contract this season, and not sure we can really afford to lose all of them this year
  • Bews
  • Dangerfield - expected to re-sign for 1 or 2 years
  • Duncan
  • Hawkins - retirement announced
  • Rohan
  • Stanley - announcement expected soon
  • Tuohy - retirement announced

We seem comfortable in knowing 3 are retiring, while we know Dangerfield wants to play on with reports suggesting he's after a 2-year deal, but surely it's more likely single year at a time or a trigger clause worked into it

That then leaves Bews, Duncan & Rohan - if all 3 retire/move on, then that's a lot of experience off the list when we don't exactly know who's coming in. My question is if we encourage two of them to play on next year, knowing they may not play every week but that their experience amongst the developin playing group would be invaluable
Yeah agree that we don't want a mass exodus but the club has historically managed / staggered the exits pretty well. I think there's a couple of things for the club to consider as part of overall list management and that might determine who goes or stays.

With Rohan it might be a case of backing in O Henry to take the expected step up - if they think he will then I'd say Rohan goes. And that frees up a list spot and some cash.

With Stanley it's well known he wanted out last season but the list profile with rucks and the rawness of Conway meant he stayed on. He will be gone shortly though.

So for me, it might come down to positions on the ground and where they think there's gaps. Duncan is a handy back up if we cop injuries and it might provide some cover. If he agrees to stay on with no guarantees then that works. In the back of their minds though most of these decisions will come down to drafting Bailey Smith - how quick can Mullin develop to replace Bews as a smaller run with defender or pinch hitting mid - and the club backing in Humphries to own a position across half back.

Clubs want their lists in good positions before Tasmania come into the competition in a few years. For that reason (and a few others) I think we might see a reasonable tweak to our list profile. The close watch for me will be how many retirees / delistings drop in the coming weeks. If there's 4-5 then I think that's a strong pointer to the club going hard at targeting some specific players to fill gaps on the list / having a couple of clear draft or trade targets we don't yet know about / or pulling a couple of mature age rabbits out of Stephen Wells hat.

We've got 7 veterans in the 30+ aged bracket off contract this season, and not sure we can really afford to lose all of them this year
  • Bews
  • Duncan
  • Rohan

We seem comfortable in knowing 3 are retiring, while we know Dangerfield wants to play on with reports suggesting he's after a 2-year deal, but surely it's more likely single year at a time or a trigger clause worked into it

That then leaves Bews, Duncan & Rohan - if all 3 retire/move on, then that's a lot of experience off the list when we don't exactly know who's coming in. My question is if we encourage two of them to play on next year, knowing they may not play every week but that their experience amongst the developin playing group would be invaluable

Stanley will retire 100 %.
Bews is gone (from our list at least)
As is parfitt

Just leaves duncan and rohan as 50-50s

• Bews
  • Duncan
  • Rohan

Agreed. And if I'm picking 2 to go around again, it's Duncan and Rohan every day.

Happy enough for Danger to get a 2 year deal, as long as he takes a haircut on his salary.

I think there no chance we cut Duncan while he's playing well still and Bews, Tuohy, Hawkins, Stanley, Rohan and Parfitt are highly likely to go. Maybe he gives it away himself but the club won't push him.
100% - he will play on if he wants to IMO.

Worst case, he does a Tim McGrath and spends a fair chunk of the year in the VFL mentoring and helping to develop the next-gen kids.

Best case he still plays 15 games or so. Important to keep on mature and experienced players to lead the way for the youngsters. Mitch has been a great role model and off field leadership and players setting the standards at training and aay from the club is crucial.

If we had minimal retirements, he might be pushed, but with the loss of significant experience, he wil get another year IMO.

Stanley will retire 100 %.
Bews is gone (from our list at least)
As is parfitt

Just leaves duncan and rohan as 50-50s

Rohan still has his pace and leap. I think he gets another year. Duncan has his smarts and his ball use (but that has dropped off a bit as well) maybe gets 1 more year. Bews may be worth 1 year as well - depends what Duncan decides and the clubs view.

Rohan still has his pace and leap. I think he gets another year. Duncan has his smarts and his ball use (but that has dropped off a bit as well) maybe gets 1 more year. Bews may be worth 1 year as well - depends what Duncan decides and the clubs view.
Agree but I expect Danger to spend a lot of time forward in that role next year to preserve him.
Combine him with Jez, Neale, Henry, Stengle, Close, Miers and Dempsey & Mannagh resting forward and that’s a rotation of 9; not much room for Rohan.

Agree but I expect Danger to spend a lot of time forward in that role next year to preserve him.
Combine him with Jez, Neale, Henry, Stengle, Close, Miers and Dempsey & Mannagh resting forward and that’s a rotation of 9; not much room for Rohan.
Run Rohan off HB ;)

Run Rohan off HB ;)

I'd happily use next year as a transition year from player to coach

A one-year contract extension, understanding he'll likely see more VFL than AFL but also working as a development coach with the VFL team

He's been working as a coach with our AFLW team, so maybe it's an area he'll transition into further after his playing career is over

I think there no chance we cut Duncan while he's playing well still and Bews, Tuohy, Hawkins, Stanley, Rohan and Parfitt are highly likely to go. Maybe he gives it away himself but the club won't push him.

I agree hes the least likely of that lot to be pushed (bews for eg gets pushed and maybe rohan) but i wonder whether he wants to go on or not.

Bews is done. Having played less than 5 games theres no chance hes retained.
Rohan is an interesting one. Hes 2 games short of FS-he might get there during finals but if he doesnt i wonder if that comes into it or not. If he does play on next year i think he sees a lot of vfl.
I think duncan is the best of them but unsure if he wants to go on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Bews
  • Duncan
  • Rohan

Bews has hardly played AFL all year so hardly a loss. Rohan has only played 12 games, with 6 of those as sub. I don't care about "losing experience" if that experience isn't contributing at AFL level anyway. If they are only contributing by developing younger players on the track then they can do that as development coaches.

Bews has hardly played AFL all year so hardly a loss. Rohan has only played 12 games, with 6 of those as sub. I don't care about "losing experience" if that experience isn't contributing at AFL level anyway. If they are only contributing by developing younger players on the track then they can do that as development coaches.
Only so much money for support staff and spots , I’m all for trying to maximise the support for the players as possible

Mitch Cleary on Sen today must of us knew this was the case except for one tool

Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs)​

On it being a 'done deal' to Geelong:

“I think it's where he'll end up.

“I’m very wary of saying ‘done deals’ because even in June-July last year, we all thought Tom Barrass was a done deal to Sydney and then it cooled late.

“So you never say it's completely over the line, but this is as good a done deal as you can get for an out-of-contract player, as opposed to a free agent. Bailey Smith is purely out of contract.

“I think it's pretty close to a done deal for Geelong next year, and everyone at the Bulldogs has got their head around the fact that he won't be playing for them next year.”

Mitch Cleary on Sen today must of us knew this was the case except for one tool

Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs)​

On it being a 'done deal' to Geelong:

“I think it's where he'll end up.

“I’m very wary of saying ‘done deals’ because even in June-July last year, we all thought Tom Barrass was a done deal to Sydney and then it cooled late.

“So you never say it's completely over the line, but this is as good a done deal as you can get for an out-of-contract player, as opposed to a free agent. Bailey Smith is purely out of contract.

“I think it's pretty close to a done deal for Geelong next year, and everyone at the Bulldogs has got their head around the fact that he won't be playing for them next year.”
What are your thoughts? All the signs point to Geelong, yet I am not convinced we are his preferred destination..

What are your thoughts? All the signs point to Geelong, yet I am not convinced we are his preferred destination..

I'll quote what i posted about 5 or 6 pages back.
Add on Mitch Cleary now to the list its either one of two things.

1. Majority of the media have been fed a bunch of bullshit and they have no idea.
2. Bailey and Cats links are growing stronger so more journos are keen to come out and back the story.

There's only one thing we can do...wait

So here’s what we know from the past week…

• A Bulldogs ITK passed on info from a player manager that Baz wants the Cats and Dogs will ask for two firsts (totally within their rights to do so)
  • Cal Twomey on Gettable said Baz is most likely coming to Geelong
  • Another Bulldogs ITK said Baz met with Dimma for coffee on the GC and did a medical up there two weeks ago
  • Sam Edmund on radio said that Baz has put in an offer for a house on the Surf Coast
  • On The Couch lads said Pick 15 from Cats for Baz “was about right” (it won’t be enough LOL)
  • A Hawks ITK was positive that while Barrass and Battle are their targets, they haven’t given up on Smith
  • Jon Ralph again confirming tonight he is certain as are list managers (including the Bulldogs) and player agents around the League that Bailey is coming to Geelong

It’s silly season folks. Get your tinfoil hats out now! Kobe Gryant and Pure_Ownage get in here and get your tinfoil hats on!
Also got my Countdown Clock still going for over two months now!

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

I'll quote what i posted about 5 or 6 pages back.
Add on Mitch Cleary now to the list its either one of two things.

1. Majority of the media have been fed a bunch of bullshit and they have no idea.
2. Bailey and Cats links are growing stronger so more journos are keen to come out and back the story.

There's only one thing we can do...wait
I agree. I have a feeling he won't be at Geelong next year.

No one knows, we wait as you say..

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back