Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

NoAny chance you can take over the negotiations for the Doggies please?

I like your style.
I will see myself out
Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

Bews has hardly played AFL all year so hardly a loss. Rohan has only played 12 games, with 6 of those as sub. I don't care about "losing experience" if that experience isn't contributing at AFL level anyway. If they are only contributing by developing younger players on the track then they can do that as development coaches.

Having experience playing alongside developing players in the VFL can be more beneficial than just the role of development coaches, plus it can be cheaper and easier to work into the salary cap versus the soft cap

Another factor in it in contract length and the flexibility that re-signing veterans can bring:
- new draftees have a minimum two year deals. So while you may find a diamond in the rough like Humphries, you could more likely be topping up the list with Jake Tarca's, Tim House's or Jacob Kennerley's

- alternatively, if veteran players are open to it, you can sign them to 1-year deals, which then presents the opportunity to open list spots 12 months later when there's maybe not as many off contract, other FA targets etc

- then you ask the question, is there more benefit from say another 12 months from Rohan & Duncan even if it's not regular senior football, versus 2 or 3 late draft picks that won't be close to senior football?

And then looking at the VFL, one noticeable difference between our team this year and recent seasons is that we've actually got some experience in there alongside developing players, and VFL signed players. We've really missed experienced players in there over recent years & that's impacted the results we've seen in VFL - by having experience around them, it then helps with results, the push for finals and finals experienced for youngsters, even if it's "just" VFL, is great for their development

I honestly kind of thought it would get to a point like this a soon as he did the acl. Dogs are moving on and he's yesterday's hero
There will be Doggie supporters that will be upset and disappointed that he is leaving but I won’t be one of them.

Having experience playing alongside developing players in the VFL can be more beneficial than just the role of development coaches, plus it can be cheaper and easier to work into the salary cap versus the soft cap

Another factor in it in contract length and the flexibility that re-signing veterans can bring:
- new draftees have a minimum two year deals. So while you may find a diamond in the rough like Humphries, you could more likely be topping up the list with Jake Tarca's, Tim House's or Jacob Kennerley's

- alternatively, if veteran players are open to it, you can sign them to 1-year deals, which then presents the opportunity to open list spots 12 months later when there's maybe not as many off contract, other FA targets etc

- then you ask the question, is there more benefit from say another 12 months from Rohan & Duncan even if it's not regular senior football, versus 2 or 3 late draft picks that won't be close to senior football?

And then looking at the VFL, one noticeable difference between our team this year and recent seasons is that we've actually got some experience in there alongside developing players, and VFL signed players. We've really missed experienced players in there over recent years & that's impacted the results we've seen in VFL - by having experience around them, it then helps with results, the push for finals and finals experienced for youngsters, even if it's "just" VFL, is great for their development

We've got O'Connor signed for 2 more years already as depth. Bews is a long way back in the pecking order as is. He had a good preseason and will be 31 next year so it's hard to see how things get better.

Although we'll lose a bunch of experience we'll still have plenty with likely Duncan, Danger, Blicavs, Guthrie, Stewart, Cameron, Kolo and Atkins all 29+ on the list next year. Most of them can play defence too. There's just no need for us to keep him on the list. Parfitt is more chance of being offered a 1 year deal than Bews.

Might be time to hand the chill pills around on the Bailey Smith stuff. Few people getting ruffled feathers and getting very impatient. Have faith.

This will all unfold soon enough, and largely be dictated by how far Cats and Dogs progress through finals. Smith's manager (or Smith) won't say a word until both sides are knocked out.

FWIW I think Geelong are going out in straight sets if they finish 4th. Lose to Swans first week - and assuming Lions beat Blues, we'd be hard pressed to beat the Lions week 2 at the G. But let's say we do, then I reckon a Prelim appearance would see us out, and be a great result for the club given where most so called experts had us finishing.

So depending on how Cats and Dogs progress I'd imagine we'll start to get confirmation of where this sits around prelim final week. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Dogs find themselves in a GF though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if we don't land Smith 🤔
Then we have a younger midfield group who all lack pace. They get beaten on the spread and can't effectively apply defensive pressure.

We get Smith that still happens a bit but less

I agree with CTTF here and personally I'd be bummed if we missed on Smith.

We need to inject some more speed and run through the middle.

We don't have anyone coming through that ticks those boxes.

The midfield is an issue and I don't see it improving rapidly without bringing in more talent.

Then we have a younger midfield group who all lack pace. They get beaten on the spread and can't effectively apply defensive pressure.

We get Smith that still happens a bit but less

Holmes might be the fastest player in the league. Knevitt tested really well in the 20m sprint. Bruhn is explosive. Even Clark is not slow.

None of these guys except Holmes has the conditioning to back up effort after effort week after week but that's normal for young midfielders. They'll all look much quicker in 2-3 years once their bodies have developed.

FWIW I think Geelong are going out in straight sets if they finish 4th. Lose to Swans first week - and assuming Lions beat Blues, we'd be hard pressed to beat the Lions week 2 at the G. But let's say we do, then I reckon a Prelim appearance would see us out, and be a great result for the club given where most so called experts had us finishing.
Carltank won't even make the 8.

Mitch Cleary on Sen today must of us knew this was the case except for one tool

Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs)​

On it being a 'done deal' to Geelong:

“I think it's where he'll end up.

“I’m very wary of saying ‘done deals’ because even in June-July last year, we all thought Tom Barrass was a done deal to Sydney and then it cooled late.

“So you never say it's completely over the line, but this is as good a done deal as you can get for an out-of-contract player, as opposed to a free agent. Bailey Smith is purely out of contract.

“I think it's pretty close to a done deal for Geelong next year, and everyone at the Bulldogs has got their head around the fact that he won't be playing for them next year.”
Mitch tends to be on the money with anything Geelong related.

He's a Geelong boy, and has good connections at the club.

It's not gospel when he says something, but it's usually coming from somewhere, apposed to those who just make shit up.

Mitch tends to be on the money with anything Geelong related.

He's a Geelong boy, and has good connections at the club.

It's not gospel when he says something, but it's usually coming from somewhere, apposed to those who just make shit up.
I never did think Clearly was making it up to begin with but Smith joining Geelong has been on the cards for sometime.

No picks just want Bailey Smith to leave already over hearing about him

How far back do you go back following Footscray/The Western Bulldogs

Be interested where you rate Baily Smith say compared to some of your previous players , even going back to the likes of David Thorpe , Bernie Quinlan , Geoff Jennings , Brian Royal , Tony McGuiness etc

We know we've got 7 veterans in the 30+ aged bracket the are out of contract at seasons end - we also know that 2 have announced their retirements with at least one further announcement expected shortly

• Bews
  • Dangerfield - expected to re-sign for 1 or 2 years
  • Duncan
  • Hawkins - retirement announced
  • Rohan
  • Stanley - announcement expected soon
  • Tuohy - retirement announced

Here's our under 30s off contract this season:
  • Foster
  • O. Henry
  • Kolodjashnij
  • Parfitt
  • Willis

Here's the rookies:
  • Clohesy
  • Hardie
  • Jeka
  • Murdoch

That's a total of 16 players out of contract, and I know we're not afraid to turn over our list but that seems a hell of a lot of turnover if the vast majority are gone come October

Looking through those names, I think at this stage the consensus on re-signing would be on maybe 4 - 6, and even that seems to be debated:
  • Dangerfield
  • Duncan ?
  • O. Henry; though some seem willing to trade him
  • Kolodjashnij
  • Willis ?
  • Clohesy ?

With Smith the main opposition player we're currently linked to, then there's been suggestions of AD also, that's only 2 in about 10 out... That'll require either a number of DFAs to help fill gaps, or a number of late draft picks to go with a number of rookie picks

That's why I'm not opposed to offering Parfitt a late 1-year extension, but if another team offered him 2 or 3 years, he'd be crazy not to take it

Same with offering 1 year deals to the likes of Bews, Duncan & Rohan, as thinking they'd be better back up options than say Foster who we can try to replace with say Pike

Really don't want to be losing 10 players in one off season when there's not necessarily the players coming in to replace them - that doesn't mean we need to re-sign them now, but keep that option open

How far back do you go back following Footscray/The Western Bulldogs

Be interested where you rate Baily Smith say compared to some of your previous players , even going back to the likes of David Thorpe , Bernie Quinlan , Geoff Jennings , Brian Royal , Tony McGuiness etc
I started following the Doggies in 1997 as a 11 year old kid I was born in Goulburn NSW but raised in Victoria I never followed a team until that point.

Fair enough , i just saw your username , Bulldogs85 , and the Dogs nearly made the GF in that year , so i assumed you were about , back in that time frame
No my birth year even though I don’t act my age at times 😂

Mitch Cleary on Sen today must of us knew this was the case except for one tool

Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs)​

On it being a 'done deal' to Geelong:

“I think it's where he'll end up.

“I’m very wary of saying ‘done deals’ because even in June-July last year, we all thought Tom Barrass was a done deal to Sydney and then it cooled late.

“So you never say it's completely over the line, but this is as good a done deal as you can get for an out-of-contract player, as opposed to a free agent. Bailey Smith is purely out of contract.

“I think it's pretty close to a done deal for Geelong next year, and everyone at the Bulldogs has got their head around the fact that he won't be playing for them next year.”
If there’s one source I trust more than anything (besides the direct source - ie. the player or club themself), it’s Mitch. Baz is coming to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back