Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Probably a discussion for a “Best 23” thread over summer, but we simply must move on from Atkins. He has extracted everything out of his career. We can’t continue to start a guy who gets 12 possessions and doesn’t stop his opponent.

I also feel Mullin will play every game he’s available next year. Plenty to work with.

But I do think we need someone to break out as a mid in 2025. Can Knevitt, Clark or Clohesy do that? Not sure.
Potentially time to call on Atkins and ideally Clark walks straight past him this off season. I don't know that we can count on it though so I think even "moving on" is just making sure he knows his spot is guaranteed.

Even just telling Clark and Clohesy that they need to be better than him as a yardstick over the summer adds value.

I was kind of writing it out in a list management sense rather than a strict "here's what i want to see round 1".

Last edited:
Duncan and bews are cooked and should be retired.
And conway isnt fit enough.
I expect we see sdk as the ruck (unless we trade one in) and knevitt and/or clark has to be in the 22.
Mannagh is first 18 and has proven his quality.
For me bowes and atkins are on very thin ice IF we get the quality coming through to replace them.

Can Mannagh play genuine midfield or is he better in the role we have played him in?
I look at him and think he's exactly what we need in the middle, quick, good skills, gets the ball down low and moves it quickly, seems to have good decision making and vision, great gather and read of the ball.
Can he do it full time?

He isn't alone on having a bad one last night, and i stress i only had him as the sub in that 23, but he adds more than some high school picked with a 5th rounder.

Humphries has been a revelation but the chances of another are very slim

I would pick guys like clark or clohesy (who has been good in the vfl) before i would ever pick duncan as a sub. Mitch needs to retire anyway.

I will be very worried if we don’t see more than that of COS. He was a blue chip pick and had an underwhelming year this year. He needs to take a huge stride forward in 2025 including playing at least 10 AFL games.

And before anyone says it, no he doesn’t need more size. He arrived at 92kg and is probably 97kg now. No reason he can’t play as a third tall in the AFL team.
Yeah I think he can play as a third tall for sure, but we are also stacked for those guys. A lot will just depend on injuries, I'm more saying i don't think he's plan A

Duncan and bews are cooked and should be retired.
And conway isnt fit enough.
I expect we see sdk as the ruck (unless we trade one in) and knevitt and/or clark has to be in the 22.
Mannagh is first 18 and has proven his quality.
For me bowes and atkins are on very thin ice IF we get the quality coming through to replace them.
I think you need to keep them in for spot pressure at a minimum. Ideally Mullin blows past Bews this preseason, which i think he'll be given every chance too. Duncan i think you keep simply because we have tonnes of list spots and he keeps pressure on Bowes to perform.

Yup only thing worth paying attention too, couldn't give a stuff about the GF or the Brownlow.
Brownlow is boring. Until they can work out a system where midfielders are "normalised" and forwards/backs also have a chance then its not worth watching.

I'm looking forward to the GF though. I can get on it and occasionally glance at the game/score.

No matter what, the GF is and should be a staple celebration for all football lovers.

Brownlow is boring. Until they can work out a system where midfielders are "normalised" and forwards/backs also have a chance then its not worth watching.

I'm looking forward to the GF though. I can get on it and occasionally glance at the game/score.

No matter what, the GF is and should be a staple celebration for all football lovers.
They need to take it away from umpires and give it to a panel of former coaches to review in week.

Umpires pay votes to the players they see, they see mids more than anyone. They don't necessarily see anyone influencing a game away from that.

Do we have pick 15 or 16 now?

15 suddenly doesn’t look so bad for smith. If we had 18, potentially moving to 21 it’d help make a case to give up a lot more.

15 + a future second should be it and move on

I just think with him it's the classic trap of bringing in someone who doesn't improve you and blocks games for kids who might.
It depends on whether Kennedy is better than Atkins and Bowes. If so, he does improve us. Drop or move those two (both can play half back) if you want to give games to the midfield kids, Clark and perhaps Clohesy. Bruhn is already established in the side. Knevitt doesn’t have the attack on the ball to be a good midfielder.

Ok I feel like this is the baseline we need to work with. How do we improve this?

Ff: Stengle Cameron OHenry
Hf: Miers Neale Close
C: Dempsey Bruhn Holmes
Hb: Stewart Kolo Humphries
Fb: Zuth SDK JHenry
Fol: Conway Smith Danger
I: Bews Atkins Mannagh Bowes

S: Duncan
E: Mullin Knevitt Clohesy
Take out Bews, Atkins, Duncan for the three E’s is a start. Add Cuthrie waxing games with Danger. COS passing Kolo would help. Need a lot to go right to get back to this level next season but still closer to top 4 than bottom 4 IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can Mannagh play genuine midfield or is he better in the role we have played him in?
I look at him and think he's exactly what we need in the middle, quick, good skills, gets the ball down low and moves it quickly, seems to have good decision making and vision, great gather and read of the ball.
Can he do it full time?

Its a valid question and hard to answer without having his GPS stats for endurance. Hes played a lot of mid at vfl level but thats without capped rotations. He is very good at HFF pushing up to apply pressure and then running back hard to goals. But he needs to be tried in midfield i think-we are too one paced in there and it showed once holmes went off.
So id try it over pre season.

I also think that you cant play atkins and bowes together in the mf full time as both lack legspeed. One needs to go to the backline or out of the team.
We really need clark (who showed good signs this year) to have a big pre season and go past atkins as he has better speed and footskills.

Do we have pick 15 or 16 now?

15 suddenly doesn’t look so bad for smith. If we had 18, potentially moving to 21 it’d help make a case to give up a lot more.

15 + a future second should be it and move on

15 but it will drift out with the battle compo pick.

With the outs of Hawkins, Tuohy confirmed I would also like to see:

Rohan (retire)
Knevitt (trade)
Parfitt (trade)
Duncan (retire)
Bews (retire)
Stanley (stay, break glass only).

There will also be a couple from the VFL too ... not sure there though.

I'm OK with Bews/Duncan playing on but on no guarantee type of contracts etc.

Bring in Smith, I do like the options of Kennedy and maybe Martin. Kennedy takes over from Atkins ... just a little bit more class. Atkins can then swing to full lock down mode (any small on the field ... ie would he have limited Zorko for example?).

I'd even let O'Connor explore his options whilst we are at it.

I think you need to keep them in for spot pressure at a minimum. Ideally Mullin blows past Bews this preseason, which i think he'll be given every chance too. Duncan i think you keep simply because we have tonnes of list spots and he keeps pressure on Bowes to perform.

Both are too slow and finished though. If you want spot pressure draft a couple of mature agers late in the draft like we did with mannagh and humphries.
Also the list spots could be useful.

With the outs of Hawkins, Tuohy confirmed I would also like to see:

Rohan (retire)
Knevitt (trade)
Parfitt (trade)
Duncan (retire)
Bews (retire)
Stanley (stay, break glass only).

There will also be a couple from the VFL too ... not sure there though.

I'm OK with Bews/Duncan playing on but on no guarantee type of contracts etc.

Bring in Smith, I do like the options of Kennedy and maybe Martin. Kennedy takes over from Atkins ... just a little bit more class. Atkins can then swing to full lock down mode (any small on the field ... ie would he have limited Zorko for example?).

I'd even let O'Connor explore his options whilst we are at it.

Stanley will retire. Bews and duncan should too.
Parfitt will go as FA or be delisted theres no trade.
Id keep knevitt hes worth more to us than what we would get for him.
Not against moving oconnor but we would be trading him at his lowest value.

Both are too slow and finished though. If you want spot pressure draft a couple of mature agers late in the draft like we did with mannagh and humphries.
Also the list spots could be useful.
Any development given to younger players with senior games are far more valuable to the club than whatever value Duncan and Bews gives us by playing them, their best is a long way in the rear view mirror now.

I will be very worried if we don’t see more than that of COS. He was a blue chip pick and had an underwhelming year this year. He needs to take a huge stride forward in 2025 including playing at least 10 AFL games.

And before anyone says it, no he doesn’t need more size. He arrived at 92kg and is probably 97kg now. No reason he can’t play as a third tall in the AFL team.

His decision making and skills are suspect he gives me huge Frost vibes, he'll need to tighten then up substantially if they intend to play him behind the ball

Stanley will retire. Bews and duncan should too.
Parfitt will go as FA or be delisted theres no trade.
Id keep knevitt hes worth more to us than what we would get for him.
Not against moving oconnor but we would be trading him at his lowest value.
Yeah I know Stanley will go, but I'd prefer him to an untried ruck as a second option if Conway breaks down again.

Knevitt could be utilised to get trades moving along same with O'Connor. In the spots they would take we have or will have other options so surplus to requirements.

Now that its all done this is what id do with the guys out of contract 24 and 25
Stanley rohan duncan bews hawkins tuohy retire
Parfitt FA/dfa
Hardie murdoch jeka goodbye
Willis goodbye
Foster im 50/50 on

Early next year id start locking guys away
Id be offering dempsey and mannagh 3 years each (both have shown a lot of promise and clubs will come for them)
Humphries needs the longest deal we are comfortable with prob 4 years.
Id be giving knevitt and clohesy 2 more each.
The big ones will be whether we sign neale or not-im not convinced by him long term but i doubt we can trade in a better kpf with the picks we have so id give him 2 or 3 years to FA.
Also whether sdk signs again next year or asks for a trade.
Id be giving ollie henry 3 or 4 years as hes the future.
Cameron will hit his games trigger so he will get a deal for 26 (probably 1 year deals from here on out)
Close id offer 3 years but hes also one id listen to trade offers-we are strong for small forwards so if it could get us a quality mid or ruck id consider it.
COS and edwards are still kids but have to be signed given our lack of talls.
I doubt we give up on conway but we desperately need a bryan or similar ruck type to put pressure on him. Not having a ruck plan B cost us badly this year.
2025 will be the last year for cuthrie blicavs and maybe danger.
Big year for wiltshire and stevens i like both but unconvinced they will survive into 26.

His decision making and skills are suspect he gives me huge Frost vibes, he'll need to tighten then up substantially if they intend to play him behind the ball

Depends where they play him. Blitz style role as a running winger/2nd ruck is an option bc he has the endurance but he would need to bulk up physically.

Depends where they play him. Blitz style role as a running winger/2nd ruck is an option bc he has the endurance but he would need to bulk up physically.

There is a reason why there aren't many teams re-creating that Blicavs role, it takes a lot more then height + endurance.

I think we'll swing him forward in the long run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back