Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Any development given to younger players with senior games are far more valuable to the club than whatever value Duncan and Bews gives us by playing them, their best is a long way in the rear view mirror now.
They won't keep Duncan for playing value, it will be for leadership and culture. We lose Touhy and Hawkins this year, two wonderful leaders. We can't afford mass retirements, they'll stagger them over the next few years and make sure that we have new leaders in place. It's about preserving what we have.

Also, I'm not expecting more than a token couple of games from COS, and I don't expect to see Edwards for another couple of years. Edwards might turn out to be an amazing ruckman but with his frame and the ruck rules now you may as well ruck Dangerfield instead
The ruck rules are insane, being able to just run at an opponent makes no sense, it takes away the skill. AFL need to a rule change.

I hope COS can have a huge preseason and breakout in 2025, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and I think he'll put in the work. SDK didn't show much in 2021 but then exploded in 2022.

There is a reason why there aren't many teams re-creating that Blicavs role, it takes a lot more then height + endurance.

I think we'll swing him forward in the long run.

Maybe and thats possible bc im not sold on neale but i think COS could also be a kpd or a 2nd ruck as those are roles we will need filled.

They won't keep Duncan for playing value, it will be for leadership and culture. We lose Touhy and Hawkins this year, two wonderful leaders. We can't afford mass retirements, they'll stagger them over the next few years and make sure that we have new leaders in place. It's about preserving what we have.

If they want to do that sign duncan as a development coach. He is simply too slow for the modern game it handbrakes us.

If they want to do that sign duncan as a development coach. He is simply too slow for the modern game it handbrakes us.
It's a bit different relationship wise being a player to being a coach.
IMO I felt Duncan was cooked by the end of the year and I would've played Touhy as he still had something to give and would've kicked that goal.
But I think Duncan will be good for 5-10 games next year and that's all they'll give him, nurse him to 300.

It's easy to go with a knee jerk reaction.

But I think it's time to be fairly aggressive in transitioning the list. If we want to keep Stanley and Duncan for depth and leadership that's fine but the aim has to be 10 games each max. I don't see the point in Bews or Rohan staying on.

Smith the obvious big in. Apart from that I'd stick to draftees and very cheap trade ins. I'd prefer to get someone like Jack Martin or Riley Garcia for basically free rather than pay up a 2nd rounder for an average player like Kennedy.

They need to take it away from umpires and give it to a panel of former coaches to review in week.

Umpires pay votes to the players they see, they see mids more than anyone. They don't necessarily see anyone influencing a game away from that.
They also need to stop reading out every single vote in every single match. Ridiculous.

Potentially time to call on Atkins and ideally Clark walks straight past him this off season. I don't know that we can count on it though so I think even "moving on" is just making sure he knows his spot is guaranteed.

Even just telling Clark and Clohesy that they need to be better than him as a yardstick over the summer adds value.

I was kind of writing it out in a list management sense rather than a strict "here's what i want to see round 1".
I agree on Atkins, he's been fantastic for this team but he hasn't had the impact this year, Clark is Atkins with class and I hope he can dislodge him next year. I'm bullish on a midfield of Smith, Holmes, Clark, Bruhn, Clohesy and Bowes, probably need to bring in another mature mid and sort out our ruck. Can we trust that Guthrie will return and have an impact?
I loved Smith at the dogs and at 23 he could be ready to explode. He and Holmes entering their prime could be an insanely good one, two punch.

Both are too slow and finished though. If you want spot pressure draft a couple of mature agers late in the draft like we did with mannagh and humphries.
Also the list spots could be useful.
We hit gold with lawson and Shauny but realistically you're most likely getting that spot pressure from a Mitch Hardie at best

We hit gold with lawson and Shauny but realistically you're most likely getting that spot pressure from a Mitch Hardie at best

Not necessarily. Clubs are getting a lot better at targeting mature agers now (like gc also did with clohesy this year). Theres 3 or 4 i can think of that if we drafted them id be fairly confident they would play a lot of afl next year.

Not necessarily. Clubs are getting a lot better at targeting mature agers now (like gc also did with clohesy this year). Theres 3 or 4 i can think of that if we drafted them id be fairly confident they would play a lot of afl next year.
Yeah but ask clubs are getting better at it so there's less chance of getting some low hanging fruit.

Dom Brew seems worth a shot, but outside that... woodcock?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy to go with a knee jerk reaction.

But I think it's time to be fairly aggressive in transitioning the list. If we want to keep Stanley and Duncan for depth and leadership that's fine but the aim has to be 10 games each max. I don't see the point in Bews or Rohan staying on.

Smith the obvious big in. Apart from that I'd stick to draftees and very cheap trade ins. I'd prefer to get someone like Jack Martin or Riley Garcia for basically free rather than pay up a 2nd rounder for an average player like Kennedy.

I’m keen to roll the dice on Martin. You know he’s quality. Back our medical staff to get him right. Garcia would be handy too. Liked him in his draft year and nothing I’ve seen since has turned me off him.

I’m keen to roll the dice on Martin. You know he’s quality. Back our medical staff to get him right. Garcia would be handy too. Liked him in his draft year and nothing I’ve seen since has turned me off him.

If Martin's keen on a 1 year deal with a trigger for a second I'd be in. Garcia could play a role but let's not expect him to be a game changer.

Realistically apart from Smith our improvement is going to come internally for the most part. We need Bruhn, O Henry, Mullin, Neale, SDK, etc to go up a couple more levels and a few of Clark, Knevitt, Conway, etc to step in to the team. That happens and anything is possible next year. It won't be easy though.

I’m starting to think we need to trade into the draft. Pick 15 plus isn’t going to cut it for us to win next year. Do we do something very bold and offer up a SDK for a bunch of first rounders?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m starting to think we need to trade into the draft. Pick 15 plus isn’t going to cut it for us to win next year. Do we do something very bold and offer up a SDK for a bunch of first rounders?

If we are relying on a rookie taken at pick 15 to win us the 2025 flag, we are doing it wrong.

Stanley will retire and Blitz probably has one season left. SDK is untradable.

Probably a discussion for a “Best 23” thread over summer, but we simply must move on from Atkins. He has extracted everything out of his career. We can’t continue to start a guy who gets 12 possessions and doesn’t stop his opponent.

I also feel Mullin will play every game he’s available next year. Plenty to work with.

But I do think we need someone to break out as a mid in 2025. Can Knevitt, Clark or Clohesy do that? Not sure.

Does Atkins take over Bews small defender role?

It's one he's played in the past, including earlier in the season - could we see that shift from him because I'm also not sure we have that small lockdown type defender outside of Bews or maybe O'Connor

And I know we've got a youngster like Humphries, but I don't want to lose his attacking assets by having him focus on locking down on an opponent, and I think Mullin has the promise to be more than just a lockdown option also

I am very comfortable going into 2025 with the following team. As always, a bad run of injuries will expose our depth. This year we had a pretty good run, especially in the forward line. I am assuming we keep some of the veterans for depth, but who knows?

FB: ZGuthrie SDK Kolo
HB: Stewart JHenry Humphries
C: Bowes Danger Dempsey
R: Conway Homes Smith
HF: Mannagh Cameron Miers
FF: Stengle Neal OHenry
Int: Blicavs Bruin Atkins Close CGuthrie

Emg:
B: Mullin O’Connor Bews O’Sullivan
Mid: Clark Knevitt Duncan
R : Stanley
F: Rohan/Martin?

Highly doubt we have pick 15 on draft night - only happens if the Bulldogs reject any trade offer for Smith, but in that situation, Bailey would nominated for the ND and we'd be using 15 on him anyway

As for trading SDK - not sure we'd willingly be pushing a player out the door for some draft picks, as that kinda action is a culture hit for a club

BUT, if a player told the club they wanted to explore their options and the right deal presented itself, then it's a situation the club would give consideration to

I actually think Cam Guthrie can be that player ( body depending with injuries)

I can remember his first few seasons at the club he was playing as our small defender and was extremely well..

I see him more in the Duncan/Tuohy type role we saw from them this year when they were providing an outlet from defence

At his best, Guthrie is a classy ball user and could be a useful replacement for his veteran teammates

Yeah but ask clubs are getting better at it so there's less chance of getting some low hanging fruit.

Dom Brew seems worth a shot, but outside that... woodcock?

I like brew but im unsure if he wants to play afl or not.
Sam davidson (cert to get drafted) and riley bice were the two i was thinking of.
Woodcock is a good player but im not sure he suits our needs.
I wouldnt be against dawson or heron but i doubt either wants to play afl again they are probably content with QAFL on good money. I also dont mind keegan grey.
Ive been banging on about harry boyd for years and i said i would have taken him in the msd id still do it now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back