Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Thank Fook we didn’t enter the Brodie Grundy sweepstakes.
Seriously. He is…
Over rated.
Over paid.
Over hyped.
A semi-old Geelong reject rucking plodder Darcy Fort did the job.
Elite mids. When they are on. Everyone is a winner.
When they are off then everyone looks like a B grader.
Lions missed Coleman and Linc much of the year.
Dangerous again in 2025.
Big shout out to the Big O. Missed a medal. He’s a ripper. Hope u get another chance.
As for the Swans.
We have been there ourselves losing a few grannies.
Not a great feeling.
Losses like that break u or make u stronger.
Stay strong fellas.
Did we miss an opportunity?
Nah the Lions were the best team in September and played like a champion team.
Congrats to the Brisbane Football Club.
Well deserved.

O probably won't get another chance because of his age (same as some of the older Geelong guys).
Fort would have been essentially a backup ruck next year then retired (age) and got lucky with an injury at the right time but I'm happy to see him win.

We definitely missed the opportunity as we had enough inside 50s to win it in the last qtr last week but we used it poorly. And the way Sydney played today it would have been our flag. But we have only ourselves to blame.

Cats are 9th in the betting with Sportsbet for ‘25. Paying $15

What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
From a trading point of view adding Smith should make us a better team next season - happy for us to be discounted, we could be drinking from a cup right now if not for some poor decision both officialdom and players. Hawthorn massively overrated, $1 behind Lions with all the talent they’re able to bring back is insane.

O probably won't get another chance because of his age (same as some of the older Geelong guys).
Fort would have been essentially a backup ruck next year then retired (age) and got lucky with an injury at the right time but I'm happy to see him win.

We definitely missed the opportunity as we had enough inside 50s to win it in the last qtr last week but we used it poorly. And the way Sydney played today it would have been our flag. But we have only ourselves to blame.
Agreed on O.
But if we were playing Sydney it would have been a totally different game with obviously different results.
Th3 swans could have won. If we are playing fantasy scenarios.
But that’s all kids stuff as we couldn’t even get past the Premiers last week.
They out played us when the moments mattered most.
A Champion side who won 4 straight to win the whole enchilada.
Hats off to them,
Can’t wait for the 2025 season.
We just need a 5-10% improvement to our side plus add a few players that are needed.
Baz? Butters? lol 😂 A fit Conway? A bigger and better OHenry along with Neale. A more experienced Mullin.
Can’t ****en wait TBH.
But we have a draft and trade week coming PO.
Great times ahead brother!

Haha, enjoy your GF day in style :)
lol I did indeed.
Just waiting on some snags as we speak.
Back2Back Lions wins.
Leopold yesterday and Brisbane today.
Was a BIG Bernie Quinlan fan coz of a dearly departed mate of mine when I was a kid so the RoyBoys always had a soft spot in my heart.

Harder draw for us next year, ruck and midfield issues. The loss of a champion.

I’m bullish on us most years but I’m next expecting us to make the 8 next season
Could see it going both ways.

Wouldn't surprise me if Conway takes the leap, along with Holmes, Bruhn, & Dempsey who all click with Smith in the middle and things look great.

Not to mention Neale & Henry forward of the ball, and Humphries & SDK who should all improve. Maybe COS, Clark, or Clohesy surprise.

Alternatively though, with a tougher draw, if things don't quite click with the youngsters and PFD, Stewart, & Cameron struggle with form/injury, then it could be a long year.

For all the pessimism on our fortunes though (which I do understand) we do have something we haven't had in a long time, and that's expected development from young players.

It's a different proposition to the 2010s era, where we just had to hope and pray our stars dominated, and we brought in quality in the trade period.

Wouldn't surprise me if Conway takes the leap, along with Holmes, Bruhn, & Dempsey who all click with Smith in the middle and things look great.

Not to mention Neale & Henry forward of the ball, and Humphries & SDK who should all improve. Maybe COS, Clark, or Clohesy surprise.

Alternatively though, with a tougher draw, if things don't quite click with the youngsters and PFD, Stewart, & Cameron struggle with form/injury, then it could be a long year.

For all the pessimism on our fortunes though (which I do understand) we do have something we haven't had in a long time, and that's expected development from young players.

It's a different proposition to the 2010s era, where we just had to hope and pray our stars dominated, and we brought in quality in the trade period.
I have a feeling or wishful thinking that Ollie Henry has a big big summer.
Testes will drop and he’ll become a harder faster smarter and nastier player that will assert himself on the field in 2025.
I also think Chilli will be the wildcard that pays off.
Add to that a better version of Clark if he has a big off-season in the gym.
Last and not least I have Wiltshire and COS having some real impact in 2025.
Can’t wait.

Zach Guthrie AA next year

From a trading point of view adding Smith should make us a better team next season - happy for us to be discounted, we could be drinking from a cup right now if not for some poor decision both officialdom and players. Hawthorn massively overrated, $1 behind Lions with all the talent they’re able to bring back is insane.
We do lose a lot of depth though

Agreed on O.
But if we were playing Sydney it would have been a totally different game with obviously different results.
Th3 swans could have won. If we are playing fantasy scenarios.
But that’s all kids stuff as we couldn’t even get past the Premiers last week.
They out played us when the moments mattered most.
A Champion side who won 4 straight to win the whole enchilada.
Hats off to them,
Can’t wait for the 2025 season.
We just need a 5-10% improvement to our side plus add a few players that are needed.
Baz? Butters? lol 😂 A fit Conway? A bigger and better OHenry along with Neale. A more experienced Mullin.
Can’t ****en wait TBH.
But we have a draft and trade week coming PO.
Great times ahead brother!
I’ve had a theory for a long time that teams that haven’t won one with the current side, and get smashed (not just beaten) in the GF, take a long, long time to get over it.

Melbourne 1988
Geelong 1995
Port 2007
GWS 2019
Bulldogs 2021
Sydney 2022

None of those sides have been able to win flags within a decade afterwards, despite being very good sides, good enough to make the GF in the first place. They basically have to turn the entire side over before they can do it. Only the Swans have made it back to the GF with a very similar side, and look how they went to water under the pressure today.

The psychological scars of getting crushed on GF day run very deep IMO, which is why I wasn’t surprised to see the Lions do the job today.

Also why I think that if we’d managed to get past the Lions last week, we would’ve done even more of a job on the Swans today. Not only would the 2022 shellacking have been in the back of their minds, but the same team that did that to them would’ve been right in front of them.

But, credit to the Lions, they got over the top of us last week and earned their flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually I thought Grundy had a pretty good game. Clearly won the battle with Fort, just got let down by a shit team.
Eh...I felt a lot of his touches were like scrub kicks and handballs out of the pack - not particularly effective.

Considering he was up against what is basically a VFL ruckman, he didn't dominate in the way Sydney would have hoped/expected....

We do lose a lot of depth though

Hawkins really only played a handful of matches. Of the others Tuohy will be a loss but not huge.

If we can add a couple of mature aged types I don’t think we lose much at all.

I’m pretty bullish about next year. If we can have a few things go our way on the health front then we can give it a crack. Need to see more development from our younger group though.

I’ve had a theory for a long time that teams that haven’t won one with the current side, and get smashed (not just beaten) in the GF, take a long, long time to get over it.

Melbourne 1988
Geelong 1995
Port 2007
GWS 2019
Bulldogs 2021
Sydney 2022

None of those sides have been able to win flags within a decade afterwards, despite being very good sides, good enough to make the GF in the first place. They basically have to turn the entire side over before they can do it. Only the Swans have made it back to the GF with a very similar side, and look how they went to water under the pressure today.

The psychological scars of getting crushed on GF day run very deep IMO, which is why I wasn’t surprised to see the Lions do the job today.

Also why I think that if we’d managed to get past the Lions last week, we would’ve done even more of a job on the Swans today. Not only would the 2022 shellacking have been in the back of their minds, but the same team that did that to them would’ve been right in front of them.

But, credit to the Lions, they got over the top of us last week and earned their flag.
I think that can get overstated somewhat - Port almost made a GF again in 2014, Geelong backed up 1994 with 95, Sydney from 2022 to 2024, and also from 2014 to 2016.

Some of those sides do just get lucky to even make the GF, and that shows in the coming years.

I have a feeling or wishful thinking that Ollie Henry has a big big summer.
Testes will drop and he’ll become a harder faster smarter and nastier player that will assert himself on the field in 2025.
I also think Chilli will be the wildcard that pays off.
Add to that a better version of Clark if he has a big off-season in the gym.
Last and not least I have Wiltshire and COS having some real impact in 2025.
Can’t wait.
who is chilli?

Hawkins really only played a handful of matches. Of the others Tuohy will be a loss but not huge.

If we can add a couple of mature aged types I don’t think we lose much at all.

I’m pretty bullish about next year. If we can have a few things go our way on the health front then we can give it a crack. Need to see more development from our younger group though.
Totally agree. I think there is more room for optimism at the end of this year than last, and I was an outlier saying we’d bounce back for finals this year. Cannot at all see why people think we won’t be thereabouts again.

Totally agree. I think there is more room for optimism at the end of this year than last, and I was an outlier saying we’d bounce back for finals this year. Cannot at all see why people think we won’t be thereabouts again.

Aside from that it’s hard to envisage any other team really bouncing to another level. The hype around the Hawks I think is ridiculous. They still have a lack of class to me. Brisbane will be good again though if they lose Joe it will mean their structure is different. Port? Nah. Pies? Can’t see it. Blues are the one that could finally be the real deal. But their depth is shallow.

I think we should see ongoing improvement from Bruhn, Dempsey, Humphries, Mullin and Neale. SDK hopefully has a better year. Conway to hopefully string some games together. And then we get Smith. We are still reliant on Dangerfield. But I don’t see too much decay other than from Stanley (who will require management) and Duncan (who should be peripheral next year). If C.Guthrie can get back sound it’s an added bonus.

Aside from that it’s hard to envisage any other team really bouncing to another level. The hype around the Hawks I think is ridiculous. They still have a lack of class to me. Brisbane will be good again though if they lose Joe it will mean their structure is different. Port? Nah. Pies? Can’t see it. Blues are the one that could finally be the real deal. But their depth is shallow.

I think we should see ongoing improvement from Bruhn, Dempsey, Humphries, Mullin and Neale. SDK hopefully has a better year. Conway to hopefully string some games together. And then we get Smith. We are still reliant on Dangerfield. But I don’t see too much decay other than from Stanley (who will require management) and Duncan (who should be peripheral next year). If C.Guthrie can get back sound it’s an added bonus.
There are a few potential bolters. Freo, StKilda, Adelaide. One day, maybe even Gold Coast...

There are a few potential bolters. Freo, StKilda, Adelaide. One day, maybe even Gold Coast...

Can’t see it myself but who knows. Gold Coast should be a finals team but we’ve been waiting for a while. Don’t think Freo and Saints are coached well enough to be a factor. Probably likewise Adelaide. Their midfield is lacking too imo.

who is chilli?
Dance Dancing GIF by Bluey

Not sure 🤔 I don’t think so, as our first grandchild was named Malachi.
But my mum whose is 89 and her English is not the best being an immigrant from the Balkan’s many many years ago still can’t get her tongue around it.
all this Malachi malarkey!

Isn't a biblical name?

Bit of trivia , Bailey Smith is an avid Fortnite player and very good at it, plays tournaments. I do know of his profile name but for obvious reasons Im not going to disclose that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back