Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

If I were Andrew Mackie, I would be very unhappy. Just makes his job harder
It is the worst kept secret, though. On a par with Dangerfield. Everyone knows where he is headed. Somebody claiming to be in the “know” on Facebook claims Smith has already been offered the No.3 guernsey

Hope so... if not he's got a long trip to training everyday if it's a Melbourne based team.
1.. How much do you back by the information you have been told his actually bought that house?

2nd.. how much do you believe in your source on Zac Butters ?

Not being a smart arse I'm just generally curious

1.. How much do you back by the information you have been told his actually bought that house?

2nd.. how much do you believe in your source on Zac Butters ?

Not being a smart arse I'm just generally curious
I back my source.
More so when i/we have knowledge of the bloke who's house/property he has bought.
As for Butters. He has been spot on with many things so he has the runs on the board.
If he says we are into Butters BIG time. That will do me.

Having to sit through that game yesterday felt like punishment. The “what-ifs” and the haunting of our third quarter in the prelim lives on.

Anyway… Smith announcement comes possibly tomorrow. Maybe Tuesday. That will feel nice.

Jack Martin basically over the line now. Unless Freo up their offer. Martin is a savvy move. Almost zero risk with maximum reward in my opinion. Absolute jet when on.

I’m still hearing the same news that our 2025FR is up for grabs if the right player is there for us.

There’s a reason for this, we want a 2025 RFA for free for once if we go that route.

Also, as I’ve mentioned before, we are obsessed with the idea of Bontempelli. No idea of Bont’s head space. But we want him badly and have since before his draft year.

Butters chat on here is real, to the extent we’ve always wanted him. I have no idea about his real estate portfolio. But definitely believe we would be live in any decision of him leaving, should he.

The Reid chat will start heating up next year.

I know they’re big names but that’s where we are at as a club. We have contract space, ambition and we need guys who move the needle.

As for this year. That guy is Smith and we wait and see if we any of the names mentioned in the past happen along with him. Will be a fun watch.

Also, our very real interest drove that West Coast to pay up big for Waterman… which is a win in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They'll add Battle and Barrass, whilst getting Lewis and Day back.

I expect them to be amongst the leaders next year.
Sometimes adding sugar or salt doesn't have the desired effect to a dish.
We can only hope they become inedible lol.

Yeah, but what isn’t sorted is the price.
You talking about compensation for WB? If so, minor detail ;) Dogs will play hard but fair, I expect. Too dangerous in the modern era of free trade for clubs to be pricks because what comes around goes around.

You talking about compensation for WB? If so, minor detail ;) Dogs will play hard but fair, I expect. Too dangerous in the modern era of free trade for clubs to be pricks because what comes around goes around.
I think clubs are starting to push back on that now - especially after we pushed hard on Tim Kelly and Ratugolea

This may be petty, but am I the only one struggling with Bailey Smith on the grounds that he seems extraordinarily vain and clearly needs the validation of his physical appearance and all the attention that it brings?
Just can't see that meshing with our group. I hope I'm wrong.
No, I am also concerned.

I think clubs are starting to push back on that now - especially after we pushed hard on Tim Kelly and Ratugolea
Big difference between being uncontracted and contracted.

Joe Daniher retirement talk sounds pretty real. Sunday footy show saying he wants to back to Victoria. Almost zero percent chance, but seems like he’s the perfect personality to live in Geelong away from it all. Wonder if we’d be in his ear. I’m sure all other VIC clubs will be trying to change his mind in retirement.

This may be petty, but am I the only one struggling with Bailey Smith on the grounds that he seems extraordinarily vain and clearly needs the validation of his physical appearance and all the attention that it brings?

Nah, I think he will fit in just fine. We might see more of that side of him because of his social profile, but he seems a good lad with his head on straight- just that younger generation we all need to get used too.

The validation you may think he is seeking is his brand. The money he will make from it is phenomenal, it looks vain to us but in fairness it’s all pretty congruent to being a good footballer (fitness and recovery). His social circle is a healthy dedicated bunch, that’s more what I pay attention too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've just described half of the AFL players right there.
So he is bang in the normal middle range within the AFL rankings.
On the other point.
He has fit in with a few of our lads already so there is no danger there.
FWIW I couldn't give a crappa about their self obsessed egos with their instas their Tok Toks their Fakebooks.
I'd be more worried if they had a gambling addiction or even worse a drug addiction.
He'll be fine as we have an organisation, a club that from top 2 bottom is rock solid.

Joe Daniher retirement talk sounds pretty real. Sunday footy show saying he wants to back to Victoria. Almost zero percent chance, but seems like he’s the perfect personality to live in Geelong away from it all. Wonder if we’d be in his ear. I’m sure all other VIC clubs will be trying to change his mind in retirement.
He'd be a perfect fit TBH.
Ruck, Forward, Athletic & premiership winner... Tick Tick Tick and TICK!

The way the players converged on him after kicking the goal in the 4Q was telling, a la Joel Selwood. That said, his kicking was woeful yesterday so maybe they were celebrating an accurate kick.

The way the players converged on him after kicking the goal in the 4Q was telling, a la Joel Selwood. That said, his kicking was woeful yesterday so maybe they were celebrating an accurate kick.
The tears of his parents and uncle were a bit more than an accurate kick celebration- very much reminded me of the Selwood situation, plus there has been talk all week he may retire after this match.
But...he's only 30, early "retirement" age

Last edited:
Yep, adding another C grade list clogging ruck is not the solution, it's adding to the problem and taking up a valuable list spot.

Lets use list spots to draft a mature mid from a State league at the back end of the draft and add some much needed depth in this area in the 23-27 age bracket. We have had a bit of success here.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We can have both.

Having to sit through that game yesterday felt like punishment. The “what-ifs” and the haunting of our third quarter in the prelim lives on.

Anyway… Smith announcement comes possibly tomorrow. Maybe Tuesday. That will feel nice.

Jack Martin basically over the line now. Unless Freo up their offer. Martin is a savvy move. Almost zero risk with maximum reward in my opinion. Absolute jet when on.

I’m still hearing the same news that our 2025FR is up for grabs if the right player is there for us.

There’s a reason for this, we want a 2025 RFA for free for once if we go that route.

Also, as I’ve mentioned before, we are obsessed with the idea of Bontempelli. No idea of Bont’s head space. But we want him badly and have since before his draft year.

Butters chat on here is real, to the extent we’ve always wanted him. I have no idea about his real estate portfolio. But definitely believe we would be live in any decision of him leaving, should he.

I know they’re big names but that’s where we are at as a club. We have contract space, ambition and we need guys who move the needle.

As for this year. That guy is Smith and we wait and see if we any of the names mentioned in the past happen along with him. Will be a fun watch.

Also, our very real interest drove that West Coast to pay up big for Waterman… which is a win in itself.

A lot of that I agree with re this year Smith and maybe one or two cheap trades and that's it (bar mature agers like Henderson in the draft).

The only bit I disagree is with any possibility trading fr1 into this year.
1. Unless theres a crazy slider on the night there's no one in this pool I'd say it's worth taking the risk for
2. If we were going to trade the FR1 we are better off to trade it forward into 2026 and stockpile picks for 26/27-given this is when both Reid and cadman will be ooc (obvious needs for us).

I do think in the meantime we will have a crack at Brayshaw and a couple of other FAs next year though-we have the cap room for both we just have a limited supply of picks.

He's living on property in Norther NSW - so is he wanting to move on from there to return to Vic or just move on from football?

He's living on property in Norther NSW - so is he wanting to move on from there to return to Vic or just move on from football?

Not sure tbh. They just mentioned him wanting to move back to VIC which I found surprising and tbh they could’ve just Been talking shyte as I’m pretty sure it was Damien Barrett who said it

I know it's all just chatter at the moment (and there's always a lot this time of the year), but with this post...

believe.jpg

So...
Thoughts on players that we might look at in the 25-45 pick range.
Let's start the draft aspect of this thread going.
So he is my2bobsworth... at pick 30 odd.
Either Whitlock boys?? Two tall swingmen.
Charlie Nicholls the tall forward from South Oz?
Noah Mraz the tall defender from Dandy?
Harry O'Farrell the tall swingman from Calder?
As u can see i'm leaning towards bigger boys as we are heading towards losing too many of them in the coming years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back