Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

So...
Thoughts on players that we might look at in the 25-45 pick range.
Let's start the draft aspect of this thread going.
So he is my2bobsworth... at pick 30 odd.
Either Whitlock boys?? Two tall swingmen.
Charlie Nicholls the tall forward from South Oz?
Noah Mraz the tall defender from Dandy?
Harry O'Farrell the tall swingman from Calder?
As u can see i'm leaning towards bigger boys as we are heading towards losing too many of them in the coming years.

You’d think we will bring a couple of talls in to replace Hawkins and Foster. The names you mentioned will be in the mix. Burmeister another that may be considered as a project tall.

Someone in these comments linked Houston to us

Considering the r1 going on Smith we wouldn't have the capital for Houston unless close was going back the other way. And we need to save picks for future targets. I can't see it. He will pick a Melbourne club.

DEK for Sheezel, Wardlaw or LDU?
That would be palatable, imho.

There's Bulldogs fans who believe that SDK will be part of the package of picks from us in exchange for Smith - i don't think they realise that if trading SDK, they'll be the ones including picks in the trade

There's Bulldogs fans who believe that SDK will be part of the package of picks from us in exchange for Smith - i don't think they realise that if trading SDK, they'll be the ones including picks in the trade
Premiership KPD's don't grow on trees!

Hopefully SDK can see if it is to be it is up to him. We know what he is capable of doing.

Hopefully SDK can see if it is to be it is up to him. We know what he is capable of doing.
No way would I like to lose him- so versatile, and watching his brother's evolution, so much upside yet for Sam even as a prospective ruck. BUT if he is truly disgruntled, he is not the right mix for us- we can not have players putting themselves ahead of the team. I didn't pick him as a prima donna, and not saying he is, but players who have had it all dished up to him like he has, only to leave at the first sign of hardship, are not worthy of our angst.

So after another disaster by Sydney.
Are there any players worth trying to pry outta there and show them there are better places to be.??
Tom McCartin would be a really nice get. If gettable. At 24, a nice tallish defender. Local boy?
Yes even looking at Ladhams... more of an insurance policy if Stanley pulls the pin.
Lewy The Pelican?? Not a fan but a biggish tallish defender.
Thoughts?

Considering the r1 going on Smith we wouldn't have the capital for Houston unless close was going back the other way. And we need to save picks for future targets. I can't see it. He will pick a Melbourne club.
How do you see the future possibility of us getting Harley Reid? Have you prognosticated that?
Does it involve trades like Humphries- please no-?

Are there any players worth trying to pry outta there and show them there are better places to be.??
Tom McCartin would be a really nice get. If gettable. At 24, a nice tallish defender. Local boy?
Yes even looking at Ladhams... more of an insurance policy if Stanley pulls the pin.
Thoughts?
Callum Mills?

Thoughts?
I guess that Heeney chap would look good in hoops

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will drop. Harder draw
I disagree. Lost by 10 pts against the now premier. We didn't play our best. I'd be confident playing them again. The only older players we rely on are danger, Cameron and Stewart. They've got 1 or 2 more seasons at the peak of their powers. We might squize a couple more out of blitz at full back. The rest are kids who, if they continue along their current trajectory will only improve. Add in another couple of surprises and the Heartbreak Kid Bailey Smith and I'm very bullish, even given the harder draw.

Last edited:
I disagree. Lost by 10 pts against the now premier. We didn't play our best. I'd be confident playing them again. The only older players we rely on are danger, Cameron and Stewart. They've got 1 or 2 more seasons at the peak of their powers. We might squiz a couple more out of blitz at full back. The rest are kids who, if they continue along their current trajectory will only improve. Add in another couple of surprises and the Heartbreak Kid Bailey Smith and I'm very bullish, even given the harder draw.
The Brisbane team that beat us was in a different zone to the one that played yesterday- they were primed to perfection.
They probably derived confidence from the way they handled our challenges and their own mixed form, but yesterday, not any team in the country would have matched them.

The Brisbane team that beat us was in a different zone to the one that played yesterday- they were primed to perfection.
They probably derived confidence from the way they handled our challenges and their own mixed form, but yesterday, not any team in the country would have matched them.
The Cats team they faced had only played 1 game in a month. If they faced the Cats side of the QF it wouldn't have been close.

After a couple of rough years injury wise and not always playing to the level we & he knows he is capable off, Sam needs a big off season but wondering if he could also benefit from working with a sports psychologist to get that belief he belongs

Back in 2022 he just dominated that backline, took ownership of his role etc, but there's been a level of hesitancy since then and wonder if that's connected a bit to the injuries over the last couple of seasons - so working on what's between the ears could be as important as working on the physical side of his game

I have a feeling or wishful thinking that Ollie Henry has a big big summer.
Testes will drop and he’ll become a harder faster smarter and nastier player that will assert himself on the field in 2025.
I also think Chilli will be the wildcard that pays off.
Add to that a better version of Clark if he has a big off-season in the gym.
Last and not least I have Wiltshire and COS having some real impact in 2025.
Can’t wait.
I only saw Wiltshire in the last couple of games in the VFL after he came back from a long time out from injury. I saw nothing to even give a glimpse he might make it but I am willing to just write this year off and see what next year brings. He has a lot of competition ahead of him for a small forward spot.

The Cats team they faced had only played 1 game in a month. If they faced the Cats side of the QF it wouldn't have been close.
This is true, but our aged team needed the breaks- that is another of our issues- the oldies we rely on, Danger, Stanley, Blicavs, Duncan, even JC, can not back up 2 weeks of pressure finals footy any more.

I have a feeling or wishful thinking that Ollie Henry has a big big summer.
Testes will drop and he’ll become a harder faster smarter and nastier player that will assert himself on the field in 2025.
I also think Chilli will be the wildcard that pays off.
Add to that a better version of Clark if he has a big off-season in the gym.
Last and not least I have Wiltshire and COS having some real impact in 2025.
Can’t wait.
Who????

This is true, but our aged team needed the breaks- that is another of our issues- the oldies we rely on, Danger, Stanley, Blicavs, Duncan, even JC, can not back up 2 weeks of pressure finals footy any more.
I agree they needed a break, but just one. The kids also needed it. Next year, having another seasons of games under their belt hopefully mitigates that.

You’d think we will bring a couple of talls in to replace Hawkins and Foster. The names you mentioned will be in the mix. Burmeister another that may be considered as a project tall.

Floyd B is one I have on my list. Seems like a very good match to the type of tall that our club likes

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back