Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Who could possibly focus on work for the next three weeks with the return of AFL trade radio
I have such a love hate relationship with trade radio. Five minutes of the stuff we're hanging out for all day, then we cut to talkback with Timmy from Thomastown (clearly all grown up now), who suggests that Harley Reid would love to move to Collingwood for Ash Johnson, a future first, and a chunk of cash.

its all La La Land stuff on here
this Thread would be less than a page and we wouldn't be heading to Part three if it was only factual info

I obviously value SDK a lot higher than you, which if fine.
He has been ordinary for 2 years and finished the year in the VFL.

He was so out of form in his preferred position as a key back that we sent him into the ruck... then a cooked Stanley held the ruck spot over him.

Butters come 3rd in the Brownlow.

If we could get Butters for SDK + 37 + an F3 it would be like winning the lotto.

Yes I have a feeling that this trade will be done very professionally.

Once the trade is completed, I get the feeling that it'll be Bulldogs fans who are much more upset at how it plays out than what Geelong fans will be

I kid you know when I say this is what I've been reading over the past 3 or 4 days from Bulldogs fans and their thoughts on the trade & Smith's value:

• he'd be worth a top 5 pick without the ACL and hasn't really deceased in value
  • top 10 pick at a minimum
  • SDK as part of a picks package
  • "**** him", send him to the PSD so he can play for Richmond
  • "**** Geelong" they won't offer fair value so he can go to the PSD and play for Richmond
  • Cotton On will top up his contract which is why Geelong is offering unders, but he won't get that at other clubs... Try pointing out he's been sponsored by Cotton On since 2021, and they tell you it's part of "the plan"

Then try explaining that he'll nominate for the ND, will set the terms of his contract & no team will waste a first round pick on a player who doesn't want to play for them, especially when this considered a draft with good depth, and the response is, "yes they will so he better like WCE"

As Geelong fans, it seems that we've generally accepted the trade will involve our first round pick, then likely pick swaps of later picks with the question being current or future picks

Bulldogs fans are prepared to act like spoiled brats, not realising that a poor approach here will have a lasting impact beyond the Smith trade and how the club is perceived to deal with

I don’t see Bailey Smith on that list, even though he’s a bigger fish than most of those. Everyone still assuming it’s a done deal.

Smith is the last name on the list - images often get cut off when posting from Twitter, but wanted to include the lazy option

1727662755499.png

Once the trade is completed, I get the feeling that it'll be Bulldogs fans who are much more upset at how it plays out than what Geelong fans will be
I have little doubt about that, just because we don't have a whole lot to give. It's the unfortunate reality of the trade period and the current era. Players can nominate a singular club for their current club to deal with, and the deal needs to get done only with what the destination club has.

The Tim Kelly deal was a good case in point. We would have liked a top 10 pick for him, and if every club could bid openly, that's probably what we would have gotten. But West Coast didn't have that so we took what we could from them.

The trade for Smith is similar (though he is not as valuable as Kelly). I'm sure the Bulldogs would like a top 10 pick for him but we simply don't have it, so they'll need to settle. They can take our first rounder next year and hope we slip away.

It's going to likely be an outcome where Geelong fans feel we've overpaid and Bulldogs fans think they've been dudded. That's often how these things go down. The end result, though, is that one club gets an established player and another gets draft picks that are complete unknowns, and I think most prefer the former in that scenario, at least in the short term (unless they trade the picks off for another gun player like we did with Kelly and Cameron).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sdk was smashed at the ruck comtests in every game he rucked. And a handful of centre clearances doesnt offset even remotely how convincingly he was beaten.

He can get possessions on the wing. Doesnt need to ruck to get possessions.
Agree, that’s why I said he needs ruck training if that’s to be his role.
If he improves his ruck craft and gets > 20 touches a game he’s another Max Gawn😜

But I thought he had already bought the farm.
I think Gee Class Loco has more intel on that than anyone else. I've heard the "talk" but no one has told me anything more than what's been posted previously.

If anything I think it just lines up with Butters "seeing out" 2025 at Port and then looking to return home in 2026.

You wouldn't trade SDK for Butters?
Where do i sign...
People quickly forget that SDK was downright deadset BOG average as a defender throughout this year.
His trajectory has being going the opposite way from those high flying beginnings if we are totally honest.
Don't really care if he stays or goes TBH. Whatever the Club thinks is right is cool by me.
But tall defenders/stoppers aren't hard to find... Great ones are. Is he a great one is the $64 question.
FWIW He ain't No Weitering Andrews or McGovern.
Can he return to some sort of quality form as a tall defender? Maybe. Maybe NOT.
Interesting to see how this plays out as i have heard he'll be heading north with his brother in a year's time when he comes OOC.

Where do i sign...
People quickly forget that SDK was downright deadset BOG average as a defender throughout this year.
His trajectory has being going the opposite way from those high flying beginnings if we are totally honest.
Don't really care if he stays or goes TBH. Whatever the Club thinks is right is cool by me.
But tall defenders/stoppers aren't hard to find... Great ones are. Is he a great one is the $64 question.
FWIW He ain't No Weitering Andrews or McGovern.
Can he return to some sort of quality form as a tall defender? Maybe. Maybe NOT.
Interesting to see how this plays out as i have heard he'll be heading north with his brother in a year's time when he comes OOC.
Well summed up.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Incredibly harsh of those suggesting SDK at 23yo is past his peak.

Sure he could have a down year, and it is disappointing if he did. That does not mean that he does not have the capacity to be the number one in whichever area of the ground he plays in next year.
Especially when you compare 23 year old SDK to Weitering/McGovern/Andrews at the same age SDK was tracking very similarly to them despite having a form slump and being thrown around positionally.

Talls take time to develop, the question is do we see him as a back, a mid or a forward?

Especially when you compare 23 year old SDK to Weitering/McGovern/Andrews at the same age SDK was tracking very similarly to them despite having a form slump and being thrown around positionally.

Talls take time to develop, the question is do we see him as a back, a mid or a forward?
Can we play Stanley or Conway, with SDK taking the Blics type backup position on the wing/mid?

Are eagles really giving pick 13 for Liam Baker? 27 years old and out of contract. Never made an AA team and is no world beater. I don’t blame bulldogs demanding two firsts for Baz based on that
No worries and if that's the value were setting on very meh players, we'll take 2 top ten picks and some top quality Japanese steel steak knives for SDK 😏

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back