Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

He has been ordinary for 2 years and finished the year in the VFL.

He was so out of form in his preferred position as a key back that we sent him into the ruck... then a cooked Stanley held the ruck spot over him.

Butters come 3rd in the Brownlow.

If we could get Butters for SDK + 37 + an F3 it would be like winning the lotto.

Where is this "SDK was so out of form" dribble coming from? He was a KPD up until Rd 14. He never had a bag kicked on him, in my assessment his form was perfectly fine. Are posters on here explaining his move into the ruck due to him being out of form as a KPD? Because that is a reach and honestly there's not much evidence.

Also, your "he finished the year in the VFL" is a little misleading without providing the context.

The anticipation is palpable! Lol
Scared Kermit The Frog GIF

No we're not. He's coming back to Victoria in a couple of years and clubs need to prepare for it from last year to hopefully be the one that jags him.
Firstly, there is no evidence that’s happening. Journos already have a crap track record on this.

Secondly, I’m not talking about the club - I’m talking about us in the thread. Silly shit like treating the recruitment as basically a fait accompli.

Where is this "SDK was so out of form" dribble coming from? He was a KPD up until Rd 14. He never had a bag kicked on him, in my assessment his form was perfectly fine. Are posters on here explaining his move into the ruck due to him being out of form as a KPD? Because that is a reach and honestly there's not much evidence.

Also, your "he finished the year in the VFL" is a little misleading without providing the context.
Confirmation bias

Firstly, there is no evidence that’s happening. Journos already have a crap track record on this.

Secondly, I’m not talking about the club - I’m talking about us in the thread. Silly shit like treating the recruitment as basically a fait accompli.
On your first point, I'm not referring to journos for my news source.

On the second, fair enough. But whether it's at the Cats or not, he'll be back in Vic once his current contract is up unless something drastic happens.

2022 - 1.6 Contested marks per game.
2023 - 0.6 Contested marks per game.
2024 - 0.7 Contested marks per game.

The guy was a brick wall in 2022 and hasn't been the same player since.

If he was getting it done in the backline we wouldn't have been shoved into the ruck.

I want the kid to be at his absolute beast for us for many years... but thinking he hasn't regressed is nonsense.

He is young and has plenty of time to turn it around... I'm not keen to lose him, but if I could get a jet like Butters for him I wouldn't hesitate.

Well that was my read on it. Evidence? Well I think he's been pretty poor for two years, was dropping marks, not neutralising contests.

He wasn't on his own, Henry had a poor first 2/3rds of the year.

Ruck is obviously an issue for us but I definitely viewed Dekoning going in there as an opportunity to fix two issues, possibly find a ruck and see if Dekoning could find some confidence.

I thought he looked better in the ruck. We know he then got injured but he appeared fit enough in the VFL to me should he have warranted selection. He just didn't play that well.

I think the backline started functioning better once Dekoning was out, and funnily enough, Henrys form seemed to turn a corner.

By the end of the year I didn't view it as Dekoning finished in the VFL because he was injured, I viewed as we looked better without him and you couldn't recall him based on the games he played in the VFL.

I still have hope for him, he is a better player than he has shown the past two years but it worries me, his confidence clearly seems shot. We clearly have different views on his form prior to him being played in the ruck.

Incredibly harsh of those suggesting SDK at 23yo is past his peak.

Sure he could have a down year, and it is disappointing if he did. That does not mean that he does not have the capacity to be the number one in whichever area of the ground he plays in next year.

Don't think anyone has said SDK has reached his peak or is past his peak

Chris Scott said moving SDK to the ruck was partly due to poor form. And he never says anyone is playing badly.

Heck Scott was happy to talk up Parfitt when asked about him before the Darwin game against the Suns and he was dropped the week after.

Once the trade is completed, I get the feeling that it'll be Bulldogs fans who are much more upset at how it plays out than what Geelong fans will be

I kid you know when I say this is what I've been reading over the past 3 or 4 days from Bulldogs fans and their thoughts on the trade & Smith's value:

• he'd be worth a top 5 pick without the ACL and hasn't really deceased in value
  • top 10 pick at a minimum
  • SDK as part of a picks package
  • "**** him", send him to the PSD so he can play for Richmond
  • "**** Geelong" they won't offer fair value so he can go to the PSD and play for Richmond
  • Cotton On will top up his contract which is why Geelong is offering unders, but he won't get that at other clubs... Try pointing out he's been sponsored by Cotton On since 2021, and they tell you it's part of "the plan"

Then try explaining that he'll nominate for the ND, will set the terms of his contract & no team will waste a first round pick on a player who doesn't want to play for them, especially when this considered a draft with good depth, and the response is, "yes they will so he better like WCE"

As Geelong fans, it seems that we've generally accepted the trade will involve our first round pick, then likely pick swaps of later picks with the question being current or future picks

Bulldogs fans are prepared to act like spoiled brats, not realising that a poor approach here will have a lasting impact beyond the Smith trade and how the club is perceived to deal with
Yeah they're irrational which is often the case when losing a good player. I'm sure the club itself will be more pragmatic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we will probably offer Pick 15 straight swap for Smith... sit on that for a while... then at some stage in 2nd week we will offer 15+35+Clohesy for Smith + 32, sit on it... then probably offer 15+35+Clohesy and request they send Smith + 44 and it gets done...

So we will probably offer Pick 15 straight swap for Smith... sit on that for a while... then at some stage in 2nd week we will offer 15+35+Clohesy for Smith + 32, sit on it... then probably offer 15+35+Clohesy and request they send Smith + 44 and it gets done...
Don't tell the Doggies fans who are expecting our R1 + F1 that.

Replace Clohesy with F2 which will likely be a pick in the late 30s and I think that’ll be the final deal.

I agree.

I have pumped Dempsey up as much as anyone but he doesn't love crashing in.

Maybe that will improve as he adds more size but I have seen him hold back from making contact a few times (but that's not his go so I'm not gonna hold it against him).

I do think he'd be terrific being fed the ball just on the outskirts of the contest in the guts as he has great agility to create time and space for himself.
The problem is that if you have a couple of players like that you are in trouble in finals where pressure and physicality gets ratcheted up unless one of the sides does not show up (like our final against Port).

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back