Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

We are getting so, so, so far ahead of ourselves on this Harley Reid thing.

No one is saying anything more than the cost of any trade would be astronomical ..and the gain would probably make it still worth doing. He is 2026 at the earliest and thats if he doesn't sign an extension. ..so yes a long way off

I think our defense has suffered a bit from a bit of experimentation, injury and bad luck. Tommy has been worked out a bit in the back line making him less effective, which exposes J.Henry to more one on one contests with minimal help which took him a long time to figure out this year. I reckon after the initial knee injury last year and then the facial fracture added to the Sav experiment down back sort of really knocked SDK’s confidence about, he’s shown glimpses, I really like his hands, and his foot skills are very good for a tall, build his motor up and see what we can do with him.

Zach and Kola have been holding the fort pretty much the last two seasons, have been our most solid defenders. Hopefully the club figures out how to get the best out of Mr Henry, Stewart and DeKoning next year.

SDK seems to have struggled with his confidence since the face injury. Some players just take time to really get their confidence back if they suffer a significant injury. He showed what he could do in 2022 and a bit of patience will likely be rewarded by a return to that level.

No one is saying anything more than the cost of any trade would be astronomical ..and the gain would probably make it still worth doing. He is 2026 at the earliest and thats if he doesn't sign an extension. ..so yes a long way off
Mate, people are putting him in their 2028 teams and talking about how we’ll “add Reid to the mix”

Mate, people are putting him in their 2028 teams and talking about how we’ll “add Reid to the mix”
You've never written a plan for where you want to be in 3 years career and lifestyle wise?

If you aren't doing it at 35 or so then you are stuffing up.
And every professional club would have a list/plan like that.

So we will probably offer Pick 15 straight swap for Smith... sit on that for a while... then at some stage in 2nd week we will offer 15+35+Clohesy for Smith + 32, sit on it... then probably offer 15+35+Clohesy and request they send Smith + 44 and it gets done...

Doubt we include Ted

Yeah that's the hope.

As I said... he has not gone full-on at the hard pill a few times so I don't fully buy the "following instructions" thing.

In saying that I'm all for giving him a crack in the middle in the future.

If Bruhn/Clark could turn into hard-ball winning machines like Rowell or Libba in the middle, then guys like Smith, Dempsey and Holmes could become very damaging outside mids (well they already are damaging but our combo would be nice).

I have doubts about guys like Bruhn /Clark, but I can dream.
Alot of posters want a physically big contest winning midfielder... but Libba is anything but. And neither was Selwood or Neale. Just need that fierceness, composure and technique above all.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Haha Tom Morris just announced Bailey Smith has nominated Hawthorn as his club of choice to be traded to."

Just read that on the Bay.... uhhhhhh. Probably trolling.....but......

You've never written a plan for where you want to be in 3 years career and lifestyle wise?

If you aren't doing it at 35 or so then you are stuffing up.
And every professional club would have a list/plan like that.
Well, looks like I’m stuffed then 🤷‍♂️

Alot of posters want a physically big contest winning midfielder... but Libba is anything but. And neither was Selwood or Neale. Just need that fierceness, composure and technique above all.
I'm not sure what you mean here.

Maybe you are talking about the size of the player? as in Libba/Selwood are not big/tall like Cripps?

Anyway I never mentioned size... I said "hardball winning machines" like Libba/Rowell.

Those guys win so many hard ball and clearances... Someone like that feeding it out to our running like Dempsey/Smith and Holmes would be nice.

Fingers crossed Bruhn/Clark gets there.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Maybe you are talking about the size of the player? as in Libba/Selwood are not big/tall like Cripps?

Anyway I never mentioned size... I said "hardball winning machines" like Libba/Rowell.

Those guys win so many hard ball and clearances... Someone like that feeding it out to our running like Dempsey/Smith and Holmes would be nice.

Fingers crossed Bruhn/Clark gets there.
Sorry, I'm not referring to any particulare poster or even responding to you (Doh) - I just saw you list Libba and let my thoughts meander about statements made by other posters.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Haha Tom Morris just announced Bailey Smith has nominated Hawthorn as his club of choice to be traded to."

Just read that on the Bay.... uhhhhhh. Probably trolling.....but......

I just looked at Twitter, did a search for both Tom Morris & Bailey Smith, with nothing coming up about the above suggestion, and surely it would be all over socials if it was true

BUT part of me wouldn't mind see that be the case just to see the mental gymnastics needed by Bulldogs supporters to pivot to now dealing with a team other than Geelong

Thoughts - should we put out feelers, because it would help with our Zac quota and be fun to hear commentators about Smith to Bailey or Bailey to Smith

Would cost a fair bit but love goal kicking mids. He’s been played though predominantly as a high half forward with Bris. What’s his contract status?

Thoughts - should we put out feelers, because it would help with our Zac quota and be fun to hear commentators about Smith to Bailey or Bailey to Smith

I sort of agree that he could become a very good attacking midfielder. But he'd probably cost the same as Smith, so I'm not sure it would be the best use of resources.

I just looked at Twitter, did a search for both Tom Morris & Bailey Smith, with nothing coming up about the above suggestion, and surely it would be all over socials if it was true

BUT part of me wouldn't mind see that be the case just to see the mental gymnastics needed by Bulldogs supporters to pivot to now dealing with a team other than Geelong
Yeah, I did the same.

Smith would be a good get, but I don't think he's generational in the same way getting Reid might be etc.

Also if it's a matter of trade currency, Hawthorn's first pick is 13 - so not exactly a huge jump in the stakes there.

Yeah, I did the same.

Smith would be a good get, but I don't think he's generational in the same way getting Reid might be etc.

Also if it's a matter of trade currency, Hawthorn's first pick is 13 - so not exactly a huge jump in the stakes there.
The issue won't be pick 13 Vs pick 15. First and foremost the player has to nominate where he wants to go and it's hard to see that situation alone (draft pick differential of 2 places) being the reason he changes tact completely and chooses Hawks over Cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back