Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

It’s a bizarre set of circumstances. You have a guy on a massive long term contract who until the last few days thought he was staying at that club only to learn he’s being shopped around. Then the club says publicly he’s a wanted player which is clearly bullshit. Just demonstrates a) how ruthless AFL is and its little wonder many players these days are cynical about the industry they are in AND b) how utterly unprofessional and really incompetent MFC are.
It also shows how FOS MFC is and why he needs to get out.

He hasn't done that at WCE yet, we would have to have him unlearn all the bad habits they have taught him.

That said he probably would be really happy to have "forward options" because until this year they had none.
The body remembers. He'll put on the hoops and we'll be talking about him as a brownlow contender by May

Wouldnt touch that dumpster fire again with a ten foot pole unless his missus has pissed off somewhere else
I actually find that incredibly harsh on TK. The guy did not have a choice, two children, high needs and neurodivergent, with no family support around. I know the club tried and clearly he did too. But that’s a lot to deal with by yourself. When he wore the hoops he did nothing but give his all for the club. I’d like to think we are a better club than “they left so I hope everyone they know gets face aids” kind of club.

I actually find that incredibly harsh on TK. The guy did not have a choice, two children, high needs and neurodivergent, with no family support around. I know the club tried and clearly he did too. But that’s a lot to deal with by yourself. When he wore the hoops he did nothing but give his all for the club. I’d like to think we are a better club than “they left so I hope everyone they know gets face aids” kind of club.
Not TK’s fault but his missus came out and stuck the boot in and said GFC didnt support them and blah blah blah so **** her, i have no sympathy. TK i have no issue with but he wouldnt be welcomed back here with opened arms if she is still around.

Loving the Oliver speculation. This trade period has vibes reminiscent of the danger & Cameron acquisitions which were total club changing trades.

People don’t realise how elite our third of the ground will Instantly become with smitand Oliver together with Holmes and blue collar support in bruhn, bowes, Atkins (and Clark in an ideal world - oh how I wish we had pick 7 in this years draft instead of Clark’s draft).

Realistic expectations of the trade:

1. Oliver + pick 45 for our future first. Melb pay $300k p.a of Oliver’s contract.

2. 15 + 45 + Clohesy for Smith.

We keep a round 2 this year snd next year so have not totally traded out of 2 x drafts and we fix our weakest part of the ground in 1 off season.

Future mid group over next 5 years:

1. Oliver the inside accumulating bull
2. Smith the goal kicking attacking hard running endurance king
3. Holmes the explosive star
4. Bruhn the clearance inside bash crash
5. Clark the defensive tackler (Atkins replacement)
6. Dempsey the outside agile marking class

Oh no i would not take his full contract. This trade is going to be very confusing.

Put it this way if you are talking they pay 300k a year for next 6 years and we pay 900-1mil a year I would pay a future 4th. Wouldn't even consider a top pick unless they pay 600k or more. And if they are going to pay that much they would just keep him surely? No way could this trade involve a r1 that I can see.
Unless he literally rips up the contract and does a new one with Geelong for 5 years x 800 (and I can't see why he would or if the afl would even approve it) then I can't see any way it could be a r1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand why he did as I have 2 kids on the spectrum and we have had to do much the same move for my sons school. It was fair enough. But for the same reason I doubt he leaves WA again

Put it this way if you are talking they pay 300k a year for next 6 years and we pay 900-1mil a year I would pay a future 4th. Wouldn't even consider a top pick unless they pay 600k or more. And if they are going to pay that much they would just keep him surely? No way could this trade involve a r1 that I can see.
Unless he literally rips up the contract and does a new one with Geelong for 5 years x 800 (and I can't see why he would or if the afl would even approve it) then I can't see any way it could be a r1
Yeah I dunno. I'd pay a future 1st if we paid the first million a year I guess. But I have no idea how to manage footy player payments.

With the connections Morris has got at MFC, it's starting to sound like this 'source' he's got is either Oliver's agent, or Clarry himself.

I'm not a fan of him, but must admit that when he's talking about Melbourne, he's generally on the money.

This is what I’ve been saying about Morris as well. He knows.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think it is a realistic possibiiity for GFC to be able to trade in both Smith and Oliver if so desired by way of current/future picks alone based on the separate enterprising leverage of all clubs involved in those trades - any speculative talk of the trading of Stengle, SDK or Clark significantly overlooks their importance to our system, structure and development (with Clark also earmarked internally as a person of great potential leadership at the club)

Not sure I can see the Clayton trade happening, unless Melbourne really want him gone. I would guess that Geelong wouldn’t be willing to pay more than $900K per year and that requires Melbourne to chip in about 300K per year for 6 years. Not to mention haggling over what the trade value in this unique circumstance. Maybe future first at $900K per year with Rd2 coming back. That goes to Bulldogs along with pick 15 for Smith. Personally, I am not concerned with trading 2 firsts as we have taken 6 first rounders since 2019, if you include Bruin and OHenry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back