Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Yeah, we have to assume if the club are bringing Smith & Oliver in, then they've done their due diligence.

If that's the case and it's mostly smooth sailing for them, I'm finding it pretty hard to see us missing the eight barring a horrific injury run, which isn't something you can really hold against the club either if things don't work out.

Comfortable with the future first in that regard. Pick 16 next year for instance isn't going to make or break our future.

Might actually allow us to get a free agent for 'free' for once too with our lack of capital.

We've said all year that we've done our fair share of drafting and developing with youngsters lately.

Not everyone will make it of course, but we've done a fair bit of future proofing over the last 5 years, and in particular the last 3 years.

Probably time to go all in once again.

This has been the plan all along. As I’ve said Oliver the target and the story always was that we are happy to move the 2025 out so we can get a free agent for free. And then focus on you know who in 2026…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mystery Mid locked and Loaded.
Petrecca wants Oliver out, Oliver is to be punted. Melb trying to avoid embarrassing pay day. Club is in total turmoil.
Club wanting full clarity on Oliver before Baz nominates, as we might not have picks to give if they are gone
Melb have lawyers on speed dial re oliver, wanting to exit contract. Afl wants this buried, and i smell a rat. The media are selling plebs rubbish - its up to you if you are a pleb.
TK the wags in WA dislike his wife, turns up to functions and dumps kids
TK no longer getting the wraps he was a GFC, and in a poor team is a waste/ His spending means he needs another big $$$. WCE and Freo not interested in paying overs. Mrs was disruptive with players like Cockatoo

We will be active and Baz is done, its all about afl theatrics
Oliver needs a minder, and excess training

The Mystery MidTM product line will be out for christmas

Petrecca wants Oliver out, Oliver is to be punted. Melb trying to avoid embarrassing pay day. Club is in total turmoil.
Club wanting full clarity on Oliver before Baz nominates, as we might not have picks to give if they are gone
Melb have lawyers on speed dial re oliver, wanting to exit contract. Afl wants this buried, and i smell a rat. The media are selling plebs rubbish - its up to you if you are a pleb.
TK no longer getting the wraps he was a GFC, and in a poor team is a waste/ His spending means he needs another big $$$. WCE and Freo not interested in paying overs. Mrs was disruptive with players like Cockatoo

As much as we love the pisstake of it, Oliver is anything but a mystery mid.

Credit where it's due, we've had people on here who have been saying it for months. year of the cat & FishGutz in particular.

Do we really want a player whose teammates actively want him gone? Who is known to be an absolute flog off the field? There are a lot of idiots in footy, and our club has its fair share I'm sure. But this isn't your ordinary idiot. This is toxic levels of dickhead. His form was also crap this year. He and his form on and off the field would be a big reason Melbourne plummeted this year.

It's not the draft pick cost I'd be concerned about so much as it is the price tag in salary and the potential ramifications for harmony.

As much as I love a mahlepi special Oliver is irrelevant to currency for Smith as Oliver won't be costing high picks and Smith will be.

This thread is hilarious 😹
If you can be bothered + have a few minutes to spare.

Some very salty Dees’ fans + Cats’ supporters sticking it to them.

Dees want Parfitt included in Oliver trade 😹

“Knowing the AFL they will probably pay his wage and give the Cats pick 1 as well.” 😹

“If not they will get either a state or federal government handout to cover it” 😹

“and dont forget the millions they got from tax payers for the new stand.” 😹

“aww someone doesn't like the way Geelong operates and keep contending.” 😻

+ so it continues 😹 😹 😹

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/mUQuZUjnC8BEsZfx/?mibextid=ox5AEW

As much as we love the pisstake of it, Oliver is anything but a mystery mid.

Credit where it's due, we've had people on here who have been saying it for months. year of the cat & FishGutz in particular.

Yeah, exactly. No mystery mid this time. Appreciate the credit by the way. People often call it out when things change and you’re wrong but when you’re onto it early they’ll chalk it up to luck or ignore it.

Also, it’s got me thinking that’s why Davies re-signed, as he might’ve been feeling like he’s coming to compete against an absolute elite version of himself in Oliver.

So far from linked players, the only surprise has been Jack Martin, not because we have been linked to him but I just didn’t receive that intel.

If we can pull off Smith, Oliver and Martin, I would say it will genuinely be our best offseason of acquiring players ever or at least equal to the years of Dangerfield and Jezza. I know there’s risk with all three but the upside is insane. Smith has the potential to be a top ten player in the league. Oliver was - for one season - the best player in the league. People in here forget that. We aren’t talking about a good midfielder, we are talking about a guy who was genuinely the best player in the competition for a year. Getting them in is so hard, we should be thankful for all his complications and difficulties as it allows this very real possibility and I believe he seems like an alright guy. Just went off the rails a bit and reminds me of a lot of mates I’ve known over the years who were able to pull it back in after a couple years of blowing out. And as for Jack Martin, he’s a goal scoring small forward. You can never have too many. If we can get him fit, the way he would link with Jezza and Stengle would be ridiculous.

This dude has it completely sussed.

Sir, i applaud your knowledge and ability to deduce the state of play.

Last edited:
Yeah, exactly. No mystery mid this time. Appreciate the credit by the way. People often call it out when things change and you’re wrong but when you’re onto it early they’ll chalk it up to luck or ignore it.

Also, it’s got me thinking that’s why Davies re-signed, as he might’ve been feeling like he’s coming to compete against an absolute elite version of himself in Oliver.

So far from linked players, the only surprise has been Jack Martin, not because we have been linked to him but I just didn’t receive that intel.

If we can pull off Smith, Oliver and Martin, I would say it will genuinely be our best offseason of acquiring players ever or at least equal to the years of Dangerfield and Jezza. I know there’s risk with all three but the upside is insane. Smith has the potential to be a top ten player in the league. Oliver was - for one season - the best player in the league. People in here forget that. We aren’t talking about a good midfielder, we are talking about a guy who was genuinely the best player in the competition for a year. Getting them in is so hard, we should be thankful for all his complications and difficulties as it allows this very real possibility and I believe he seems like an alright guy. Just went off the rails a bit and reminds me of a lot of mates I’ve known over the years who were able to pull it back in after a couple years of blowing out. And as for Jack Martin, he’s a goal scoring small forward. You can never have too many. If we can get him fit, the way he would link with Jezza and Stengle would be ridiculous.

Another top post.

GFC fanbase on fire recently. Much like the team, the dynasty just keeps on rolling....

Small change for Cotton On

Apropos to post below by D BRIDGE

He should take a big pay cut "on the books" to keep our cap under control and we can pay him under the table from some third-party sponsor, via cash in a brown paper bag or possibly set him up with some nice land.

Win/win for everyone.

P.S. Don't let the Doggies fans know we roll this way.

A farm, billboards, three large packets of crisps, a slab of Pepsi Max + Cotton On will donate Dees Away white shorts.

Dees to pay 100% of indexed contract.

AFL to give Geelong a first round pick.

Seems fair + reasonable to me.

But let’s play hard ball + demand Gawn comes to Geelong.

Get it done Stevo + Andy!

You can’t just ‘transfer’ properties between names.
You can, in this case $1.00 to buy, but still costs of state stamp duty + CGT is paid by CO 🤷🏻‍♀️

Perhaps instead of renting at market value a tiny rent of $10p/week.

Only know because a friend is allowing former partner to remain in their former home for $1.00 pa. He owns the property.

Bring the boy home ❤️ 😍 💖
He had his chance and chose to go back home , he will be in his 30’s and I very much doubt his high maintenance wife would allow herself to be back in Geelong where she gets very little attention and after all the things she said about the club and town

A big nope for me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand why he did as I have 2 kids on the spectrum and we have had to do much the same move for my sons school. It was fair enough. But for the same reason I doubt he leaves WA again
I don’t blame him at all , however why did he enter a national draft with those family needs and also his wife was very publicly shit talking about the club and town so that leaves a very sour taste for me .

I don’t blame him at all , however why did he enter a national draft with those family needs and also his wife was very publicly shit talking about the club and town so that leaves a very sour taste for me .
He gave us 2 very good years and helped us snag Cameron. He loved his time at the cats. Not sure why it leaves a sour taste

I can't believe people are talking about paying Oliver 900k+. That's much more than we signed Holmes and Stengle on. For a guy who is being actively dumped by Melbourne and must be a 50%+ chance to never get back to being a high quality AFL player.
If you sign him i don't know how you pay him less than that. That's only 65% of what Melbourne owe him

He had his chance and chose to go back home , he will be in his 30’s and I very much doubt his high maintenance wife would allow herself to be back in Geelong where she gets very little attention and after all the things she said about the club and town

A big nope for me
He’s just not the age bracket we need in a mid.

if Oliver comes out in the next day or so and says he wants to be traded to Geelong will that push the Dogs into getting a trade done quickly as they may fear cats trading 17 to Dees and leaving them with something not as desirable
maybe that could be part of the plan? ie. meet with Oliver to put a rocket up Bulldogs?

I can't see how we get both players without selling the farm so maybe it is an either or situation?

I'm still being told that higher ups at Geelong are not interested in Oliver. Apparently some bad off field stuff that hasn't hit the media.

I was told a month or two back that Geelong were targeting a West based defender. That aligns with the more recent discussions on SDK. Maybe there is more to it?

Tim Kelly won't move due to partner/kids but I know for a fact he loves Geelong and regrets moving from Geelong.

He gave us 2 very good years and helped us snag Cameron. He loved his time at the cats. Not sure why it leaves a sour taste
It’s just footy tribalism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back