Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Or Gary Rohan can meet his wife?

Pop Tv Burn GIF by Schitt's Creek

FA should be FREE get rid of all FA compensation

Whilst we are it get rid of priority picks as well if a club is shit let them suffer
I don't like the way in which FA compensation works - having it go directly after the club's next pick is ridiculous and penalises the very next club that follows, especially if it's a very early pick a la James Frawley or Ben McKay.

However, getting rid of it altogether will just kill clubs who are on the bottom of the ladder and keep the better clubs at the top for year after year. I don't want a repeat of the 70s/80s where Hawthorn/Richmond/Carlton/Essendon/North basically raffled the flags.

If I were AFL God, I'd make the following changes:
  • Out of contract = free agent. End of story
  • Longer first contracts for top 40 picks
  • Compo picks to be dished out between pick rounds
  • Purchasing club to give up their next pick after the compo pick if possible (otherwise points equivalent).

I don't like the way in which FA compensation works - having it go directly after the club's next pick is ridiculous and penalises the very next club that follows, especially if it's a very early pick a la James Frawley or Ben McKay.

However, getting rid of it altogether will just kill clubs who are on the bottom of the ladder and keep the better clubs at the top for year after year. I don't want a repeat of the 70s/80s where Hawthorn/Richmond/Carlton/Essendon/North basically raffled the flags.

• Purchasing club to give up their next pick after the compo pick if possible (otherwise points equivalent).

Id much rather see clubs given some other type of help than draft benefit if some redress is required. I totally agree with the concept of …out of contract ..a player is a free agent. …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id much rather see clubs given some other type of help than draft benefit if some redress is required. I totally agree with the concept of …out of contract ..a player is a free agent. …
At the end of the day, if you don't improve the playing staff, the football isn't going to improve. There's a limit as to how much you can improve off-field now.

It's not like the 80s where the rich clubs had great facilities, and Fitzroy were training out of suburban grounds in Northcote.

Those are decent changes and i like them.

I still think getting rid of all priority picks should happen.. If a club is shit from its own doing North, WCE and Richmond recently they shouldn't get bailed out.

Give them some other sort of assistance ... Higher soft cap for coaching or something similar

While we are winning trade week you certainly aren't
Work certainly isn't winning, I've got no idea at all how some people live on here all day and actually get anything done

At the end of the day, if you don't improve the playing staff, the football isn't going to improve. There's a limit as to how much you can improve off-field now.

It's not like the 80s where the rich clubs had great facilities, and Fitzroy were training out of suburban grounds in Northcote.
Bad clubs reliably burn good draft picks. It's ineffective and thins out the talent available to the industry.

I'm 50/50 on free agency compo, but they should never ever give out priority picks. Instead bottom 4 clubs should be given extra development coaches outside the soft cap on limited tenure contracts

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back