Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

If Geelong can get him back to the 2021 model then you are in that grand final. I’d love him to stay at Melbourne and get back to his best, but he’s treading water right now and the club has decided to burn down with all the players in it so I’m not sure we are the best fit for this scenario.

I really have my doubts.
Some say he just needs to lose a bit of weight and get back to his old-self but it's sometimes not that easy. Once you lower your guard to opposition players and they see the 'real' you, it doesn't matter how chiselled one can be, it's then a mental battle.

Up until this past season, Oliver was looked upto by his peers.
At various stages throughout the year however, players would look behind and notice Oliver giving chase and cheekily knew they had him covered. That is the concern for me.

Is Oliver capable of playing in a different position if called upon?

I really have my doubts.
Some say he just needs to lose a bit of weight and get back to his old-self but it's sometimes not that easy. Once you lower your guard to opposition players and they see the 'real' you, it doesn't matter how chiselled one can be, it's then a mental battle.

Up until this past season, Oliver was looked upto by his peers.
At various stages throughout the year, players would look behind and notice Oliver chasing and cheekily knew they had him covered. That is the concern for me.
Agree the “lose 10 kilos” is simplistic. I think there are probably a lot of issues, head-space being a big one.

Nobody knows whether he can come good. I hope he does. Either a club will roll the dice, and it won’t be with a big offer considering the risks, or I guess he stays at Melbourne an we cross fingers he grapples his way back.

So having been MIA since before the prelim..

Im just catching up on the 53043 pages of stuff..

We just lost the Prelim, had our chances but just weren't good enough on the day. Prob over achieved in 2024 but hard to get that close and not make it. Does it build the hunger more?

Lions destroyate the Swans. Gotta be Swans in a headspace of frustration.

We clean house with Hawkins, Touhy, Rohan, Parfitt, Foster, Murdoch, Willis, Hardie and Jeka all being delisted or retiring.
Thats 9 list spots to fill.....

Which then brings us me to -

Jack Martin choosing Geelong as a DFA. Massive talent but horrible injuries. The ultimate buy low player. Costs only a list spot so a no brainer really. Lots of off season work for him and great to have another Indigenous player on the list.

Bailey Smith has selected Geelong for a trade destination. Lets see how this works out. Cue Andrew Mackie.

And the now Clayton Oliver wants to call KP home. Lots of issues here on all sides the discussion.

Not every problem can be solved unfortunately - and we've failed at some too. Need to remember that as we go forward. That said, if the Demons are in a corner and need to resolve an issue that they have kind of created here......

GO Catters

From what I’ve been told and my own personal deduction of the situation. Oliver to Geelong will happen. Geelong want it and are downplaying it. Oliver wants it. And the most important piece of the puzzle is that Pert wants it. I’ve been told Geelong are extremely confident he is going to nominate us. But they’re playing the game at the moment.

I honestly can’t explain how excited I am for this if it comes off.

As for SDK - my source, who has not missed besides not hearing about Jack Martin before the hairdresser - has said he hasn’t heard anything him wanting out. So, I hope that’s true and the noise surrounding him looking for a move is false.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thinking about our list I feel that Jhye Clark could the piece that we give away to make all of the other moves work.

He would have a disproportionate amount of trade value relative to his output. Him and Clohesy fill the same niche and frankly we could part with one without losing anything on the field.

I should probably add to that ruck discussion key back depth, because it might also get bad. Like very bad.

Blitz - 34yo
Kolo - history of concussion
Henry - suspect foot
COS - 1 game to his name
Jeka
Murdoch
All of blitz, kolo and Henry going down is really worst case scenario and no amount of planning could cover something like that

From what I’ve been told and my own personal deduction of the situation. Oliver to Geelong will happen. Geelong want it and are downplaying it. Oliver wants it. And the most important piece of the puzzle is that Pert wants it. I’ve been told Geelong are extremely confident he is going to nominate us. But they’re playing the game at the moment.

I honestly can’t explain how excited I am for this if it comes off.

As for SDK - my source, who has not missed besides not hearing about Jack Martin before the hairdresser - has said he hasn’t heard anything him wanting out. So, I hope that’s true and the noise surrounding him looking for a move is false.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This.

This SDK talk was all started by Kane Cornes a few weeks ago when he said teams should be targeting SDK because he didnt make our PF team.

He didnt make the team because he was injured and not because he was out of favour. We just fast tracked him incase we made a granny. Korne was just starting shyte because he wanted to make a story out of nothing. Now this has gathered legs. There is absolutely nothing going on with SDK besides he is commited to the GFC.

Oliver doesnt have much trade value with his albatross contract. So we will get him for not much, ie pick 35, with some retention ie 30% that Melbourne will be paying.

All this talk about how will we make this all happen is wrong. We have identified players who are/were A graders that want out and we are capatilising on this because we ARE the destination club.

All GFC fans who arent onboard with this summation, need to get onboard.

We are not losing anything or giving up much. We are the land of Milk and Honey!

Last edited:
Would be funny if Clayton Oliver pulled an accidental James Harden

With no SDK our ruck options are:

Conway: just had a pin put in his navicular
Stanley: 34 before Christmas
Blicavs: 34 by gather round
Neale: Not really rucked effectively at the level
Furphy: one vfl season removed from basketball
Edwards: built like a broomstick currently

How could you let him go without a ruck solution in place for next year?
My wish list is to bring TDK, OOC end of 2025. Can we ever have enough brothers 😻

Gees when i said just two weeks ago that if they keep in blicavs in the prelim for sdk we may lose sdk i was being flippant. Was all told i was being a doomsdayer.

Now you are all running with it. Yeek.. Was it really worth playing a 33 year old blicavs in the prelim to risk losing a 23 year old sdk when sdk was already better then blicavs as a defender and a ruckman (and almost certainly a foward?)
SDK had an arthroscopy in mid August. He played in the VFL finals loss to Werribee on 31 August, gathering 23 hit-outs + 18 disposals in the ruck.

Very disappointing he missed finals + was distressed, of course. If people are getting into his head about leaving for greener pastures, he’s probably not in a good mindset atm.

Still, we have to trust club staff, who know the situation, rather than supporters guessing. I have a feeling SDK might have further surgery, as an arthroscopy can be to remove debris.

SDK has experienced two rough years, proved his versatility, has the Summer + preseason to fully recover, train + hone skills. Gives him time to relax, clear his head, consider his options, then return fresh + enthusiastic. He’s 23yo still time to develop a ruck role.

Gees when i said just two weeks ago that if they keep in blicavs in the prelim for sdk we may lose sdk i was being flippant. Was all told i was being a doomsdayer.

Now you are all running with it. Yeek.. Was it really worth playing a 33 year old blicavs in the prelim to risk losing a 23 year old sdk when sdk was already better then blicavs as a defender and a ruckman (and almost certainly a foward?)

There is no truth to this....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I've been told about SDK by a person with a Carlton connection.

- He will only leave to go to Carlton and nobody else.
- has been sold the centre half back permanent position dream
  • won't ask for a trade as he has seen what happened with Kelly and Ratagolea
  • won't sign a contract extension
  • family weren't impressed that he was made to play injured this year
  • Geelong wants pick 11 and FR1 from Carlton who won't do that deal.
  • Carlton want to include players in the trade, Pittonet, Young and Kennedy were offered
  • Carlton also trying to offload Cerra to Melbourne so that may help in the Oliver chase.

What I've been told about SDK by a person with a Carlton connection.

- He will only leave to go to Carlton and nobody else.
- has been sold the centre half back permanent position dream
  • won't ask for a trade as he has seen what happened with Kelly and Ratagolea
  • won't sign a contract extension
  • family weren't impressed that he was made to play injured this year
  • Geelong wants pick 11 and FR1 from Carlton who won't do that deal.
  • Carlton want to include players in the trade, Pittonet, Young and Kennedy were offered
  • Carlton also trying to offload Cerra to Melbourne so that may help in the Oliver chase.

Find another source. None of this has legs

Ok so if he wants to stay why hasn't he signed a contract extension.

I've no doubt Carlton want him and I'm also very confident Geelong don't want to trade him unless they get a deal to good to be true.

Extension will be put infront of him in due course thats when it will be signed,

Your sources take is so far out to lunch....

Players don't always sign extensions when they are still contracted some wait till they are out of contract in hopes that form increases so they can get more money.. Also more chance of making a club offer more when you are a genuine chance of leaving.

Now who the **** knows what SDK is thinking but the man himself maybe my scenario from above is correct maybe he wants out or maybe he hasn't thought much about it at all.

I actually hope you're correct
I'm not sure if your source is correct or not but I know that Geelong was chasing a defender a month or 2 back. I was also told (from a different source) they had interest in Joshua Draper from Fremantle and were prepared to make a big offer.

I thought it was strange we were asking about him but it could tie in with what's happening behind the scenes with SDK.

I'm not sure if your source is correct or not but I know that Geelong was chasing a defender a month or 2 back. I was also told (from a different source) they had interest in Joshua Draper from Fremantle and were prepared to make a big offer.

I thought it was strange we were asking about him but it could tie in with what's happening behind the scenes with SDK.

lulz, u were told absolutely nothing

Stanley and Blitz are put a fork in it ..

Conway crook foot …so 2025 load doubtful

Neale FF

The others… are a long way behind ..we have not even seen them at afl level

Definitely an issue. Trade Radio must love geelong.
Conway was back at training at season's end. So 2025 isn't doubtful ...

Agree the “lose 10 kilos” is simplistic. I think there are probably a lot of issues, head-space being a big one.

Nobody knows whether he can come good. I hope he does. Either a club will roll the dice, and it won’t be with a big offer considering the risks, or I guess he stays at Melbourne an we cross fingers he grapples his way back.
What do you personally think his worth in trade picks?

Thanks Mr Tilly. That’s nice of you. I got notified when you reposted my post which is how I got here.

If Clayton Oliver does get traded to Geelong I hope he does really well. Recent events suggest he isn’t always easy work but it’s possible that a different environment might see him return to his best? If he can, he’s a very good fit for what your midfield needs IMO.

I love my club (sometimes, kind of…) but at the end of the day I want to see talented players fly. If that’s at Geelong I’ll still enjoy watching him - even while biting down bitter hatred for everything in the universe in no particular order.
It is an excellent post, well done. We need more like that on BF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back