Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Every single Dogs fan I know would rather see him go to the draft than get unders for him. We may lose this time but not long term. We don’t want to be pushed around by wealthy clubs anymore. He hasn’t even got to free agency and we feel we are being screwed by the AFL and the wealthy clubs who are also throughout the media. He is a young gun with 10 years left in the game. But he is an extremely immature narcissist easily lead by money and fame, not necessarily football history.

If Smith goes to the draft, you'll lose not just this time but also long term - this sort of behaviour from Power & hence the Bulldogs, the faux toughness & threats to walk a player to the draft is simply laughable

We well and truly punch above our weight.
How does anybody have to "punch above their weight"? - and how are the Bulldogs? - with the revenue equalisation?
  • All clubs have the same salary cap
  • All Clubs have the same soft salary cap.
  • In 2023 the Bulldogs recieved $6M more than Geelong in Revenue Distribution
  • You've landed the number 1 pick via NGA (which was originally Geelong's Zone)
  • Loaded with Father/Sons (and some at early picks - which everyone squealed about when it was Geelong)
  • Have a stack of early picks (Geelong have not qualified for a top5 pick in over 20 years)
  • Have the best player in the game (IMO) - Bontempelli (As a result of one of them early picks)
  • Have recieved at least 2 priority draft picks (one Brownlow medalist and another that resulted in getting Tom Boyd who played a huge part in your 2nd Flag)

The term Punching above your weight in an AFL context is obsolete and self indulgent - Geelong was a club in all sorts of trouble 25 years ago - We had:
  • An ageing list
  • A captain who didn't want to be here
  • A coach who didn't want to be here
  • Riddled with debt
  • an in fighting Board
  • The AFL wanted to ship us of to Marvel stadium
  • Not won a flag since 1963
  • By All definitions we were considered a minnow of the AFL
This was changed by Frank Costa establishing a culture of success and bringing good people into the club -Cook, Thompson, Hocking and later Balme etc - They instilled the values of success that exist today and what makes Geelong a Club that players want to come to

I remember my brother (who is a doggies supporter) saying to me that our clubs will never get anywhere because we are too small - but we sure do battle hard - Well Geelong sure chganged that view

Geelongs advantage is that they manage the TPP extremely well and the work environment is reportedly second to none - All of this is club driven and could be established by any other club if they were able to get the people capable and prepared to do the work required - I'm not capable enough - but I'm sure glad my club is

Knevitt, a big ‘Phew’ from cats_09 😉

Clark shows flashes of his potential.

Clohesy is only 20yo, averaged over 16 disposals + five tackles per game in the VFL, kicking 13 goals from his 18 matches. Really like the bits I’ve seen.

Haven’t focused on Stevens or Wiltshire.
For me Clark is a definite keeper and I see Clohesy as an Atkins replacement.

Knevitt is a concern at the moment - he has endurance and above average marking but that’s doesn’t get him a regular game IMO.
He has height but needs to bulk up and use it to advantage( Berry from Lions)
If he can’t give us that I think he gets left behind☹️

My heavens the behaviour in here is so childish.
Apologies Freshwater

Offering up the same viewpoint many had here 12 months ago on Ratugolea.
Hopefully both list management teams can come to an agreement that is palatable to both parties.
The difference with Sav was Port were offering #38 from memory... and we knew (well at least I did) that Port would absolutely stump up more if we pressed for more.

Why accept 38ish for a guy they were offering 5 years @ 700k when you can push and get more?

We pushed and got more... big tick.

Power can push and try to get more... I have no issue with that.

Walking away from #17 in a deep draft is a lot different than walking away from #38 in what was rated a very shallow draft.

OBring back the Oisin Mullin pissing contest between those For and Against him…

Well not here because this is not what this thread is for.
But genuinely somewhere else.
It was soo funny seeing people get heated over a guy who has played 18 games total in his career.

Kind of like this… 🍿

Fight Lol GIF by Odd Creative

I just saw the Bulldogs want a Top 10 pick for Bailey Smith...

I can't stop laughing.
Funny part that’s lost on them is Treloar has somewhat taken his spot and they made out like Bandits in getting him across. Swings and roundabouts.

. He is a young gun with 10 years left in the game. But he is an extremely immature narcissist easily lead by money and fame, not necessarily football history.

Just out of interest re Smith , which Footscray player ( and depending how far you go back , but you can go right back to the 60s etc ) would you say Smith is most similar to . I can understand why your upset , because Leigh Colbert ( and he was Capt at the time ) basically did the same thing , called us indirectly a bunch of losers who wouldnt amount to much ,and wanted out , mind you that was to Geelongs great benefit because we got a young Cam Mooney and some nice draft picks

2nd question , your picture avatar , its got me a bit stumped , trying to work out which former Footscray player that is , my guess , and its only a guess , a young Don McKenzie .

The difference with Sav was Port were offering #38 from memory... and we knew (well at least I did) that Port would absolutely stump up more if we pressed for more.

Why accept 38ish for a guy they were offering 5 years @ 700k when you can push and get more?

We pushed and got more... big tick.

Power can push and try to get more... I have no issue with that.

Walking away from #17 in a deep draft is a lot different than walking away from #38 in what was rated a very shallow draft.
Wasn't talking about how the clubs acted. But how fans did.
He's got a view no different to many on here did with Esava, or as someone else suggested Clark.

Yet he's tribally getting eviscerated for it. Quite hypocritical.

Every single Dogs fan I know would rather see him go to the draft than get unders for him. We may lose this time but not long term. We don’t want to be pushed around by wealthy clubs anymore. He hasn’t even got to free agency and we feel we are being screwed by the AFL and the wealthy clubs who are also throughout the media. He is a young gun with 10 years left in the game. But he is an extremely immature narcissist easily lead by money and fame, not necessarily football history.
So you'd rather push him to the draft and lose him for nothing and beat your chests chanting we stood tall and really showed them and get literally zero back for it.

And the bit about the "bullied by big money clubs" sounds like inferiority complex 101. News flash. we aint a big money club either. WC, Pies, Dons, Blues, Crows... sure. Not us. So if you wanna complain about being pushed around don't bring that complex to this gun fight. Wrong club there my friend.

GO Catters

2nd question , your picture avatar , its got me a bit stumped , trying to work out which former Footscray player that is , my guess , and its only a guess , a young Don McKenzie .
Ted Whitten Jr?

1979_VFL-AFL_Scanlens_04_Ted_Whitten_Jnr_Western_Bulldogs.jpg

So you'd rather push him to the draft and lose him for nothing and beat your chests chanting we stood tall and really showed them and get literally zero back for it.

And the bit about the "bullied by big money clubs" sounds like inferiority complex 101. News flash. we aint a big money club either. WC, Pies, Dons, Blues, Crows... sure. Not us. So if you wanna complain about being pushed around don't bring that complex to this gun fight. Wrong club there my friend.

GO Catters

Nothing wrong with them wanting the best trade terms possible, but they also have to be realistic with the hand they hold.

It ain't much.

Threatening the player isn't the way to go for their long term, and playing the 'minnow club's card sounds a bit too much like the sulking we just heard from the Saints.

They want to elevate themselves and do better? Then they must be better.

Only their club can do that. Up to them.

Aww mate, stop and gather some emotional intelligence. He gave you his best, but ran into some issues, it's not our fault your Club obviously contributed to that, and he needs to move on. We've worked super hard to make sure our players live and play in an enlightened environment.
There is a risk to us, that he regresses in year one, through injury or anxiety- let alone an over reach of 10 years. But there's no risk to you with our first pick, unless you botch it. You're jumping the gun mate, saying we screwed you, when the deal is being transacted as we speak. Pushing him to the draft is dinosaur thinking, and it won't happen.

Just out of interest re Smith , which Footscray player ( and depending how far you go back , but you can go right back to the 60s etc ) would you say Smith is most similar to . I can understand why your upset , because Leigh Colbert ( and he was Capt at the time ) basically did the same thing , called us indirectly a bunch of losers who wouldnt amount to much ,and wanted out , mind you that was to Geelongs great benefit because we got a young Cam Mooney and some nice draft picks

Ted Whitten Junior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe one day when the Doggies are playing home games at GMHBA and we are pocketing from them we will be a big club.

Boy they'll hate us even more if that happens.

They'd be hooking us up with some brown paper bag cash to splash.

That's self-sabotage... almost like losing good players deliberately for zero.

"That'll learn um".

hope you guys don’t mind me sharing this

BAILEY SMITH​

There have been talks between Geelong and the Western Bulldogs on how this deal gets done, but there is still a gap between the parties with three days to run in the trade period. The Cats have tabled their first-round pick this year – No.17 – but the Bulldogs are keen for more to add to it, or for the pick to be shifted up the board. If an impasse can't be broken, given Smith's out of contract status, he could have to wait until the national or pre-season draft to get to the Cats. That is still seen as a long shot, though, with all parties preferring to get a deal done.

Absolutely no discussion on Oliver anymore?
Reported hours ago from the trade whisperer, the trade is off and Oliver will commit.
Unless that’s a bad source not sure but where has the Oliver chat gone?
It's the weekend.

It'll get shut down once and for all, or progress, either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Absolutely no discussion on Oliver anymore?
Reported hours ago from the trade whisperer, the trade is off and Oliver will commit.
Unless that’s a bad source not sure but where has the Oliver chat gone?

Well, if so, we concentrate on getting Smith across the line and work on developing what we already have.

To give the Dees fans some credit they haven’t come in here sulking and bitching about it all
There's a couple of nuffies in the CO thread, but every clubs got them.

In my experience though, they're some of the best supporters on BigFooty.

The antithesis of the Richmond fans we see on here. Very self deprecating, and welcoming on their board.

They know their club is a shambles at the moment, they don't blame anyone except those who are actually running the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back