GIA...where were you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't compare Boyd with Gia.

Boys has a serious dip every game. He just has terrible skills. I'm sick of people criticising players for not being very good at execution. All you can ask for is that they thrown themselves in and give it their all.

Boyd does that. Gia does not.
Stuff that. You need to have both. 100% effort and ability to execute.

Look - these guys are probably nice people. I'm not saying they're not. But this is elite sport. Getting paid good coin to play elite sport means it's a fine line. If you're not up to it, sorry, join the rest of the 99.9% of the population that isn't up to it. That's life. Boyd, IMO, isn't up to it.

Stuff that. You need to have both. 100% effort and ability to execute.

Look - these guys are probably nice people. I'm not saying they're not. But this is elite sport. Getting paid good coin to play elite sport means it's a fine line. If you're not up to it, sorry, join the rest of the 99.9% of the population that isn't up to it. That's life. Boyd, IMO, isn't up to it.

i suppose the issue is that you need balance in the team - lets face it, we cant get rid of everyone, and boyd certainly isnt on the chopping block yet - he may not be the most skillful, but not everyone can be Michael Jordan etc ! I think you would find that if cooney played tonight, boyd wouldnt have looked so bad, but we were undermanned tonight with lack of pace and cross and boyd had to take more of the workload to try to suppliment the absence of cooney etc

we need blokes like cross and boyd

I think Griffin went ahead of Boyd for captain, in my eyes at least, after his consecutive quality finals series.

Whilst the sky remains blue and water wet Giansirwotsit will NEVER, EVER, be a captain of a team I'm a member of. He went missing yet again when we needed a quick mobile small forward to make an impression on the game.

Gia is trade bait.

i suppose the issue is that you need balance in the team - lets face it, we cant get rid of everyone, and boyd certainly isnt on the chopping block yet - he may not be the most skillful, but not everyone can be Michael Jordan etc ! I think you would find that if cooney played tonight, boyd wouldnt have looked so bad, but we were undermanned tonight with lack of pace and cross and boyd had to take more of the workload to try to suppliment the absence of cooney etc

we need blokes like cross and boyd
Maybe. I think he and Reid are competing for the same spot next year. I hope Reid gets precendence.

I hardly ever post but gia really winds me up. Did anyone actually think he'd play well today? He has NEVER produced when it matters. Never. I simply can't comprehend him being in the leadership group let alone being touted as a future captain. How can the MC not see what is plainly obvious? HE IS RUBBISH!!!

I hardly ever post but gia really winds me up. Did anyone actually think he'd play well today? He has NEVER produced when it matters. Never. I simply can't comprehend him being in the leadership group let alone being touted as a future captain. How can the MC not see what is plainly obvious? HE IS RUBBISH!!!

Seemed to go alright last week... I think that game mattered, right?:eek:

Every game matters and he has been OK in a lot of them this season. Next esason though he will be competing with Ward, Higgins, Wood, Reid, Hooper, Rose and teh 2 Father/Son picks for the same 2 or 3 spots- pressure will be on.

Seemed to go alright last week... I think that game mattered, right?:eek:

Inconsistant, just like Davis, he has plaed 200 games and he isnt in the Collingwood side and they are playing in a grand final right ?

He is a top up player at best, will be on the list next year but in Blue and Gold most of the time if the match committee have balls

Well I don't think the supporters see Gia as the next captain. And I agree. I don't see it either. Boyd the same. I just think we need to move on from those guys as the leaders and look to the the next group. The current leadership group has too much baggage and we need to freshen it up, but if we do have to go with one of the current guys I'd choose Murphy.

I think Cooney or Griffen as our 2 best players should be the candidates. Both can inspire by the way they play and it could also make them better players.

Higgins has had a year from hell, so it can't be him yet. And Ward is just too young.

G just does not inspire as a skipper and may be fighting a lot more for his spot next year anyway. Boyd I just can't see him as captain as hard at the ball as he is, he lets himself down with his skills and decision making and I think the skipper needs to be better than that as a player.

Time for generational change in the leadership group.

Gia has been disapointing for the last couple of seasons. Should be shown the door
Danial Cross stands up as our next captain

We need pace and have an abundance of one paced midfielders. I would try to trade Cross for Jetta from Essendon as they need people to help there skipper and have plenty of pacey blokes. Straight swap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward pockets are inconsistent, and his best position isn't playing as a forward pocket.

I'd like him to play at least as a high half-forward (preferably more midfield) instead of a forward pocket, whether or not that happens may depend on if we bring in a crumbing forward over the off-season.

In games when he's played predominantly midfield, he's picked up 35, 29, 32, and 30 touches, and averaged 7 tackles in each of those four games. A couple of those were when Boyd was out, and the 30 touch game was against Adelaide when he pushed up the ground because he was receiving a fair bit of attention.

We need more quality ball use out of the middle, and I'll be a little disappointed if he's kept in a forward pocket if we do bring in another crumbing option.

I think Gia is a better mid than Boyd. It's just that Gia CAN be an OK fwd where as Boyd has no other strings to his bow. Couldn't have them both in the centre as we'd be as fast as wet cement, but I think we need to shuffle the decks and get blokes playing in their best position, and competing for spots.

The problem with Gia is his good games come vs teams we can beat easily, whereas this year in the 2 regular season games vs coll he had 13 & 12 poss games, 8 in a loss to Syd, a pathetic 1st half in the final vs coll, a bad game vs stk in the final, 11 poss in a loss to Haw, at times he can be good but i've lost a lot of confidence in him in big games, having said all that playing as an outnumbered small forward against Stk is not easy.

Gia has to be moved up the ground. One of the best users of the football in the side. Normally when the ball is in his hands 70-80m out you just know he will find a target. His being wasted in the forward pocket and is receiving alot of slack. Move him to the wing or Center and he and us will benifit from it. I for one want him as captain. When give the extra responisbility in boyd's absence in the middle he stood up in a big way. Surprised he has hardly been seen there since considering cooney has been out.

Gia has to be moved up the ground. One of the best users of the football in the side. Normally when the ball is in his hands 70-80m out you just know he will find a target. His being wasted in the forward pocket and is receiving alot of slack. Move him to the wing or Center and he and us will benifit from it. I for one want him as captain. When give the extra responisbility in boyd's absence in the middle he stood up in a big way. Surprised he has hardly been seen there since considering cooney has been out.

Totally agree.

I also think Eade has to take some responsibility for Gia's performance. He has him playing sometimes as a defensive forward tagger, the crumbing forward and the HFF. Consolidate his role and move him early to get him into the game. One of the best users of the ball into the forward 50.

He has played some great games this year and I'm sure he is disappointed in some of his performances.

Get off his back but seeing Eagle is going we need a new whipping boy.

Agree. Also people say he fails to perform in the big games. Well re-watch those games and tell me how the delivery to him in the forward 50 is. Normally it's over his head, To a 3 on 1 or simply ignored. Despite this we still fail to move him into the middle. With aker/hill out of the side, Hahn out of form and higgins battleing injury gia has had to play deep and it's effecting his game. People seem to forget that when he was playing up the ground more last yr he lead the league in assits. He got alot more of the ball and used it so well to players on the lead.

Would not have liked to be a medium paced small forward for us against the saints, our forward 50 entries were terrible.

We have an abundance of tough nuts with questionable disposal. We need more like Gia who is creative with the ball and rarely turns it over.

Gia is one player who may benefit if we copy the pies midfield model of rotating 10 guys through there who go like cut cats for 6 minutes then take a breather.

Gia and Boyd are decent players - would be good cogs in a great machine, but we dont have a great machine just now. Its unbalanced - too many players who cough it up under pressure. I dont think gia is one of those players, however.

Remove this Banner Ad

GIA...where were you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back