Giants fans will outnumber Swans fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Heh, first post I read when I clicked that link

"What is the f**kin wrong with Rugby League fans in the west as you got the so-called battle of the bridge shite with the GWS v Swans breathing down your neck and you can only get 13000 for the so-called battle of the west derby.
Kevin Seedy and Andrew Demented must be laughing in Champagne"

So, so good :D

I also enjoy the moderators telling everyone to STFU and **** off constantly to any dissenting posts, reminds me of Dockerland a little.

Reminds me of the Indian Cricket forums without the racial abuse.

LU is where all the dumb kiddies hang out...................let them have their fun, no one else will play with them.

The AFL did initially try to get a new stadium built in Blacktown. They supported the original idea of new multi-purpose stadium in the International Sportspark precinct as part of the World Cup bid. For the WC it would've had a capacity of 45k before being downsized to 25k for all four football codes to use afterwards. However the FFA (in particular Lowy) cracked the sads when the AFL wouldn't hand over Docklands and so they made the proposed Blacktown stadium for the bid rectangular to try and screw the AFL out of Western Sydney. The AFL then went to plan B which ended up being the 25k capacity Skoda Stadium in Homebush which was independent of the WC bid. In the end the AFL still got their new 25k stadium albeit in the inner west of Sydney while Lowy and Soccer screwed themselves as they missed out of a new stadium completely that would've been built even if the bid failed (which it did obviously) had they joined forces with the AFL.

No. the blacktown stadium in the world cup bid was not going to be multi-purpose stadium, it was to be rectangular and designed and built along the same lines as newcastle, with temporary seating/stands. they both would have the temporary roof and second tier at either end removed after the world cup.

Blacktown would be 26-30k rectangular seated stadium after the world cup that was to play host to nrl blockbuster games, rugby union, socceroos friendlies/ WCQ and a future potential western sydney soccer/football team.
part of its legacy was that it be become home for football/soccer as major tenants.

AFL was tried hard persuading the bid to have for blacktown to be oval shapped / multipurpose, as they would because its in their best interests and the afl is smart to look at chances like that. but it was never seriously looked at because multi-purpose stadiums are not liked in sydney.
The afl also tried to get the homebush showground as a worldcup venue, this also was never seriously considered.

multi-purpose stadiums are alot less favourable in rectangular mode. the first tier's much lower angled gradient is desinged to accomodate the stands to retract into oval format. making everywhere but the retractable stands further away from the sidelines and making the roof less adequate in rectangular mode . the ovaled ends/or retractable seating at the ends make them further away for rectangular mode too. In a market where rectangular sports are 1, 2 and 3 a multipurpse stadium (another one lol) would not happen. atmosphere the first tiers it makes the stadium opened out more than normal, with less atmosphere and further away from the sidelines in rectangular mode.

Probably less than the seemingly endless supply of free Storm game tickets handed out all day, every day by radio SEN to their callers.
They ony got 13,000. If the capacity was 50,000, it would make no differrence - apart from 30,000 more empty seats.
Have they what?? :eek: For all the LUTZ, check this out and the next couple of pages - and particularly the 'contribution' by the MOD (no wonder the bar is set so low there). Believe it or not, this is on their main board, not a Bay13 equivalent.

Enjoy - http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=398007&page=59

Had to laugh at the knob who suggested League never give out free tickets. The Brisbane Broncos have had a 2 for 1 deal on shop-a-dockets for ages now.

http://advertising.shopadocket.com.au/Success%20Stories_files/pdfs/Entertainment/BrisbaneBroncos.pdf

I know many people who've been to an NRL Broncos game and hardly anyone has ever had to purchase a full admission ticket. It is so easy to get a discounted or free ticket. Our work also hands out 20 double passes to the Qld Reds each week.

I want GWS to succeed as well but i think their ambition is a bit high if they hope to average 15,000 this season.

GWS are going to be terrible in the first few seasons so people need to look at the crowd figures for the Swans in the early 90's (when we were also terrible) and just hope GWS beat that.

If they get 40k tonight then they only need 12.5k per game to get to a 15k average.

But I would have thought a 10k average after the first game will be a reasonable target, assuming they're about as a competitive as GC were last year. If they can get close a few times early in the season a 15k average is achievable.

If they get 40k tonight then they only need 12.5k per game to get to a 15k average.

But I would have thought a 10k average after the first game will be a reasonable target, assuming they're about as a competitive as GC were last year. If they can get close a few times early in the season a 15k average is achievable.

That is true. Add to that they are likely to get a very good crowd against Collingwood and Essendon which makes achieving a average of 15,000 over a entire season reasonably getable.

the FFA (in particular Lowy) cracked the sads when the AFL wouldn't hand over Docklands and so they made the proposed Blacktown stadium for the bid rectangular to try and screw the AFL out of Western Sydney. The AFL then went to plan B which ended up being the 25k capacity Skoda Stadium in Homebush which was independent of the WC bid.
The FFA from the start wanted rectangular stadiums over oval ones (FIFA too), thats why they pushed so hard (unsuccessfully) for adelaide and Perth to build rectangular stadiums. When Blacktown stadium was proposed, the FFA always said it was going to be rectangular. when the bid went it it was rectangular.
even in an ovaled format (but not as large as the afl) the stadium would come into issues with viewer sightlines and FIFA deem more seats in a brand new stadium 'unusable'.
Why would the FFA care to screw the AFL out of western Sydney? They have no reason to.

In the end the AFL still got their new 25k stadium albeit in the inner west of Sydney while Lowy and Soccer screwed themselves as they missed out of a new stadium completely that would've been built even if the bid failed (which it did obviously) had they joined forces with the AFL.
The stadium was never going to be built if the world cup failed. skoda stadium was chosen because the AFl didnt want GWS to play out of ANZ stadium because of the issue with its capacity

The gws once settled should do ok too. but lets not get too optimistic / arrogant about their situation. The sooner ppl down south realise that AFL here in sydney is always going to be 3rd or 4th and not try get brownie points from each newspaper article or so called facts that may say otherwise the better. comments like yours 'thugby' league doesnt help GWS's situation here in sydney, as forums media reach is as great as any newspaper.
GWS will be a respected sydney ''football'' team and i look forward to supporting them along with my wests tigers.

Well put.

The stadium was never going to be built if the world cup failed. skoda stadium was chosen because the AFl didnt want GWS to play out of ANZ stadium because of the issue with its capacity

Exactly. From a image point of view it looks much better to have 12,000 people in a 25,000 seat stadium than 12,000 in a 82,000 seat stadium.

Plus having their own stadium means the AFL doesn't have problems with scheduling as the NRL use ANZ Stadium all the time.

Which site?

Ticketek for one, dont know about other sites. Its a sham, the AFL should be exposed for this practice. Everyone Ive asked(ok I only knew 3 people but thats 100%) all had the same problem, people on the Swans board expressed the same.

You have a choice to nominate Red for Swans or Orange for GWS but when you choose Red, tickets for general admission arent available so all the Swans wanting to buy general admission have no choice but to select Orange. They are counted as GWS supporters.

The figures are rigged and its a slap in the face to the Swans supporter base, membership and marketing depts.. yeah good for the game and all that but **** off GWS and the AFL.

I hope this gets exposed and blows up in their face.

...Its a sham, the AFL should be exposed for this practice ... You have a choice to nominate Red for Swans or Orange for GWS but when you choose Red, tickets for general admission arent available so all the Swans wanting to buy general admission have no choice but to select Orange. They are counted as GWS supporters.
.. yeah good for the game and all that but **** off GWS and the AFL.

I hope this gets exposed and blows up in their face.
Well, you've exposed it and some chap called Shakespeare has already written a play about it - titled it 'Much ado about Nothing'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a swans member and just bought my tickets. Needed 2 adults and 1 child but was cheaper to buy a family ticket for 2 adults and 2 children.
Funny thing was I couldn't get general admission tickets if I put down that I was red (swans supporter), so I put in orange (GWS supporter) and was able to buy the cheaper GA tickets. I'll still meet up with my swans mates and find some seats together if possible.

Pax # was 28960

here for those that give a shit

Remove this Banner Ad

Giants fans will outnumber Swans fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back