Giants fans will outnumber Swans fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice try Tonk. In what way are GWS from NSW ( give me just one example?) Or the Swans from that matter. And also I love the TROL comments. It is such forum talk. Seriously, I am a sports fan from Western Sydney. Show me some respect. I am your god.

Last time I checked Sydney was in N.S.W................maybe it's something in the water.

Isn't it about time for a perma-ban for this RL numpty? He just admitted he's a troll (I'm signed up to this AFL forum yet I never watch AFL and all the players suck and Victoria sucks).

I'm all for friendly banter, but the dude's a blatant and self-confessed troll.

I'm so sick of the insecurity RL fans continually show, I bet he's a mod at LU.

Would agree that it appeared to be a 60/40 Swans split judging by what I saw on the telly.

Biggest Port crowd last year?

great comeback. :rolleyes:

did you totally ignore his reasoning. I agree with him, under most of the circumstances the game should have attracted 60k.

The thing that destroyed it was it being well-known that the Giants would be uncompetitive.

How many new supporters did this game attract? There have been other games in Sydney which have attracted more than 39k. How many of those living in the inner west closer to Olympic Park or from the Hills District have just jumped the fence from the swans to the giants? Rather than asking which team each patron will be supporting, the more relevant question wouldve been, 'is this your first AFL game?'

Overall, the AFL really should've toned down the Suns & Giants annual draft concessions, (but given them some concessions all the same) and utilised expansionary drafts (set-up differently from the Bears one) for both team's introductory season so they could've at least had men playing out there instead of 17 debutants who wouldve been fighting for the mirror and popping zits prior to running out onto field.

did you totally ignore his reasoning. I agree with him, under most of the circumstances the game should have attracted 60k.

The thing that destroyed it was it being well-known that the Giants would be uncompetitive.

How many new supporters did this game attract? There have been other games in Sydney which have attracted more than 39k. How many of those living in the inner west closer to Olympic Park or from the Hills District have just jumped the fence from the swans to the giants? Rather than asking which team each patron will be supporting, the more relevant question wouldve been, 'is this your first AFL game?'

Overall, the AFL really should've toned down the Suns & Giants annual draft concessions, (but given them some concessions all the same) and utilised expansionary drafts (set-up differently from the Bears one) for both team's introductory season so they could've at least had men playing out there instead of 17 debutants who wouldve been fighting for the mirror and popping zits prior to running out onto field.

Did you ignore my previous posts? :rolleyes:

I agree with him, under most of the circumstances the game should have attracted 60k.

It's good to see someone so optimistic about Sydney football.

Yet 38k by rl standards is out-of-this-world!

Rather than asking which team each patron will be supporting...

That was a stadium question so like supporters would be grouped together.

Overall, the AFL really should've toned down the Suns & Giants annual draft concessions,.

Drafting a mature age team doesn't guarentee a competitive team.

The AFL did the right approach and the clubs tried very hard to get as many "stars" as possible but it was the clubs locking in players contracts trhat fouled a lot of that. At the end of the day both new clubs have a nucleus that is the envy of most clubs.

Most people would agree that Saturday night's game was very entertaining
There was a bit of the expected first game fumbles but more worrying is the surface of the ground. That stadium continually refuses to crop the grass short enough to be suitable for AFL.

The the big disappointment was the fact that Scully was missing.
His inclusion could have made things more interesting.
What was interesting was the support for Folau.
I can see him becoming a cult hero.

What? :confused:

How would this game have drawn 60k, double the most attendance of any NRL game this year? Double the Swans usual attendance! The Giants will take a decade or more to develop the same number of supporters that the Swans have.

How would this game have drawn 60k, double the most attendance of any NRL game this year? Double the Swans usual attendance! The Giants will take a decade or more to develop the same number of supporters that the Swans have.

You'll have to forgive him. He's just a super keen Swans fan used to the big Swans games at ANZ and a bit worried that the GWS is going convert all the people of WS and the giants will become a powerhouse.

You'll have to forgive him. He's just a super keen Swans fan used to the big Swans games at ANZ and a bit worried that the GWS is going convert all the people of WS and the giants will become a powerhouse.

The swans would draw big games at ANZ when they were near top of the ladder and for blockbuster games against powerful AFL team like the Pies or Bombers. Those conditions dont apply to last nights game in any way!

38,000 is a good crowd, altnough i think it was inflated with people from interstate, but still a healthy crowd. GWS players showed there is so much quality in that team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What? :confused:

AFL in Sydney has attracted bigger crowds for an 'event' match before. This match was an event, not just a run-of-the-mill game.

Rivalry will help both clubs get bigger.
Rivalry? It was more like free love festival last night from the Swans supporters POV. Rather than the 'us against them', they're not our friend' mindset Roos was promoting a couple of years ago, Swans supporters around me last night were largely embracing the Giants as their 2nd team.

Rivalry? It was more like free love festival last night from the Swans supporters POV. Rather than the 'us against them', they're not our friend' mindset Roos was promoting a couple of years ago, Swans supporters around me last night were largely embracing the Giants as their 2nd team.

It'll probably stay that way for a few years.

Why do you expect there to be a rivalry right from the beginning when they hadn't even played once? It takes years of close and or spiteful matches (or consistent finals meetings even) to create a rivalry mate. Geography alone does not a rivalry make.

It seems like your taking them with contempt. This may actually anger GWS.

Why do you expect there to be a rivalry right from the beginning when they hadn't even played once? It takes years of close and or spiteful matches (or consistent finals meetings even) to create a rivalry mate. Geography alone does not a rivalry make.

Dockers and Eagles got theirs up and firing immediately. just as much about being the best head-to-head within the region as it was about football in the greater sense.

A regional rivalry will always has more sting in it than any other.

Dockers and Eagles got theirs up and firing immediately.

That's not really true. The 'rivalry' was a bit of a mismatch in the early years, although it's arguable that the Eagles took their eye off the real prize when Freo came in and spent too much energy just trying to win the derby.

But there certainly wasn't an awful lot of hatred towards Freo by Eagles fans back then. There were even a couple of derbies that didn't sellout. Nowadays that never happens.

Nice try Tonk. In what way are GWS from NSW (give me just one example?) Or the Swans from that matter.
One isn't enough - I could give you 10 examples from 2010 of NSW born and bred AFL players for the Swans -
1. Paul Bevan, Sydney Swans, Western Suburbs (Sydney)
2. Craig Bird, Sydney Swans, Nelson Bay (Port Stephens)
3 Craig Bolton, Sydney Swans, Eastlake (Canberra)
4. Kieran Jack, Sydney Swans, Pennant Hills (Sydney)
5. Jarrad McVeigh, Sydney Swans, Pennant Hills (Sydney)
6. Lewis Roberts-Thompson, Sydney Swans, North Shore (Sydney)
7. Ben McGlynn, Sydney Swans, Wentworth
9. Nathan Gordon, Sydney Swans, Kellyville (Sydney)
10. Dylan McNeil, Sydney Swans, Lavington (Albury)
11. Eugene Kruger, Sydney Swans, Cherrybrook (Sydney)

Still to update the list for 2011 to include GWS, so it will be even more.

I can also give you the names of all the Victorian born and bred Storm players not just for now but for its entire history - ... (sound of crickets chirping)
...Seriously, I am a sports fan from Western Sydney. Show me some respect. I am your god.
Actually, you are the latest in a long line of totally insecure, scared little trolls.

That's not really true. The 'rivalry' was a bit of a mismatch in the early years, although it's arguable that the Eagles took their eye off the real prize when Freo came in and spent too much energy just trying to win the derby.

But there certainly wasn't an awful lot of hatred towards Freo by Eagles fans back then. There were even a couple of derbies that didn't sellout. Nowadays that never happens.

West Coast arguably underachieved after 1994 but I hardly think flogging a mediocre Freo twice a year had much to do with it.

Since WC and Freo have both been in the comp both clubs' most successful season was 2006, when we won the flag and you beat us twice. Make of that what you will... :)

I dont watch a lot of AFL (by that I mean none). But I had to watch last night. Was that a quality game? If that is the standard then Victoria ought to be ashamed of itself. I have never seen a sport in which the stars execute their objectives so poorly. I now completely understand the need for the outside posts and the relaxed definition of what constitues a catch.

Wow, you don't watch any soccer then. A sport where 22 players run around like headless chooks for an hour and a half and regularly don't execute their objective one SINGLE time....

ANZ stadium is without question the absolute worst stadium i've ever watched an aussie rules game at.

been there for numerous nrl matches before and it's fine for that since the action is all focused in a tiny area on a smaller field but buying a ticket in the gold area for the swans/gws game i could barely see anything opposite end of the field and the closest wing to my side (was sitting about the 50 metre line area) you had to stand to be able to see the action at all....:eek:
have never had that problem anywhere else before.

the seats are just so far back with such little elevation.
if i ever go back to ANZ stadium for aussie rules i will be buying general admission. absolutely no point in paying for the premium stuff here cause it seems the areas are based on viewing for a league match and not afl.

Mate its not made for rugby league either, its a f***ing disgraceful ground initially built for watching track & field, then poorly modified post Olympics. I've been out there for union, league, AFL and cricket - not once have I enjoyed it. The precinct outside is sterile, and like you say it is too flat, not enough elevation to see what is going on.

I'm all for dynamiting the bl**dy thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Giants fans will outnumber Swans fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back