Review Giants vs Suns @ The Gabba 3.35pm 2/8/20

Remove this Banner Ad

1596295779935.png

Land of the Giants Preview

I’ve said it before, but I really hope Toby Greene has at least one premiership medallion by the time his career comes to an end. His performance against Richmond last night shows why.

Toby’s brilliance aside, match statistics for the team make interesting reading. We won the disposals, handballs, kicks, all the clearances (except hit-outs), contested and uncontested possessions, tackles and marks in general, and one percenters. We even won the free kick count.o_O

Yet the game seemed much closer, probably because we really got done on the inside 50 count again, with them having more scoring shots. We were just more efficient.

Curiously, we made hardly any tackles inside 50, which seems odd, because during that second quarter, our defence was on the receiving end of 17 out of 18 incursions. But all those inside 50s resulted in only one goal to Richmond; we just managed to hang on. Can’t get more of a contrast to the GF.

A special mention to TT. I was sitting on the boundary, right in front of where Martin cleaned him up with that thumping tackle, and everyone felt it. I think Himmelberg copped similar treatment later on and limped off; they’ll both be feeling it over the next few days. Whatever else is said, we certainly earned the win.

We now get an eight-day break before taking on Gold Coast at Metricon next Sunday, in what be almost certainly be the match of the round. They last beat us in 2014 and it’s been one-way traffic since then, but they’re a far more difficult proposition this time.

I’m not sure about changes to the team. Williams and Kennedy should be available, but who would they replace? It’s hard because we’re unfamiliar with what sort of Gold Coast outfit we’re up against. Jacobs performed OK in place of Mumford so he will probably stay. I’m not sure about Keeffe; we might need a bit of extra leg speed.

Questions are being asked as to whether we are playing a sustainable brand of football, but I’m more concerned about mental preparation. It was obvious we were “on” for the Tigers, but will we be “on” for the Suns? I’m also concerned at the length of the break because our history after extended time off isn’t good, although that has to be balanced against them coming off an even longer break.

We won every quarter against Richmond, and can’t ask for more than that, but what we can ask for is consistent effort like that on Sunday week – and every week.
===========================================================================================================

Gold Coast vs GWS Preview
Gold Coast fought hard against the Bulldogs last week but couldn’t come away with the four points, eventually losing the match by five points.

Gold Coast performed well in the middle of the ground last week which almost saw them get over the line, it will be interesting if they implement the same tactical style this week against the Giants like they did against the Bulldogs.

The Suns hold a terrible record in recent history against the Giants and to save this, the Suns will look to move the ball quickly through their elite midfielders and creative forwards.

Touk Miller has been a standout for the Suns all year and last week he finished the match with 26 disposals, seven tackles and seven clearances.

Whilst, GWS unconvincingly defeated the Tigers in the 2019 Grand Final replay by two goals.

The Giants had the answers in every crucial moment of the game when they needed to, something they’ve struggled with so far this season.

GWS will look to slow down the play against the Suns throughout majority of the game, allowing their midfielders, who are beginning to hit form, to get on top and win the territory battle.

Toby Greene proved why he is one of the competitions best finishing the match against the Tigers with 18 disposals, four contested marks and five goals.

Although there have been question marks over the Giants so far in 2020, I can’t see them losing against the Suns here.

Does it make sense to be nervous playing a team we beat twice last year by 12 or more goals?
GCS are a much better team in 2020 and the Giants have been plodding so who knows.
Giants team looks so much better with Williams back. Hope he stays fit for the rest of the year.
Some attacking footy and better forward entries to give the struggling forwards a better chance would be nice to see today.

Does it make sense to be nervous playing a team we beat twice last year by 12 or more goals?
GCS are a much better team in 2020 and the Giants have been plodding so who knows.
Giants team looks so much better with Williams back. Hope he stays fit for the rest of the year.
Some attacking footy and better forward entries to give the struggling forwards a better chance would be nice to see today.
I'd be nervous if Rowell wasn't out.

As it is I feel fairly comfortable, but also have a sneaking feeling I might end up with egg on my face like I did after the NM game (that one, at least, I had the excuse of "form the first couple of weeks back will be deceptive").

I know the suns are hyped but we should really give them a bath if we are serious this year. We all know young players don’t back it up week after week and they have too many young players to play consistent footy.

i want us to play to our strengths. I want to see us dominate the clearances and really hurt them around the contest. Giants by 18

I know the suns are hyped but we should really give them a bath if we are serious this year. We all know young players don’t back it up week after week and they have too many young players to play consistent footy.

i want us to play to our strengths. I want to see us dominate the clearances and really hurt them around the contest. Giants by 18
This I 100% agree with.

If we are serious, from the top to the bottom of the club (coaches, players, support staff), we will be switched on from the start of the game, play to our strengths, and overwhelm the Suns. No offence to them - I like that they have been highly competitive this year and it's good for the comp as a whole - but we just need to focus on our game.

Let's Go GIANTS!

You guys have dropped a fwd and brought in a defender.
Which mid is most likely to roll fwd to replace Lloyd do you think?
We still have 6 forwards in the team (3 talls plus Greene, Daniels & Langdon) so it will just be a mid rotating through there, Williams, Whitfield, Cogs, Perryman & Kelly can all do that role to good effect. Williams may get more time there if they want to regulate his load coming back from injury.

Hopefully Williams spends time forward, as much to keep the ball in as kick goals.
All the other mids have strengths forward. I like Hopper in attack. Can mark and not afraid to have a shot.
We have missed Williams. He was playing so well first part of the year

Stoked he is back !

On CPH2009 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think ya I would like to see progress on this week:
- winning the contested ball/clearance and tackle count in the midfield. When we are on this is our bread and butter
-locking the ball into the forward 50 with either repeat entries or F50 tackles more often. The ball has come out too quickly in the last month or so
- the maturity and confidence to know when to play fast or slow coming out of defense. Personally I like a fast rebound but I understand that’s very hard to do and won’t always work so long down the line for a stoppage is important for our structure when we can go fast. We have

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back