Gillon stepping down 2022 - Press Conference at 11:30am EST

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone on the Swans board said, and I agree with them that Brendan Gale shouldn't be the choice for CEO as he has been at a club that is easy to run. Even when Richmond were complete crap they still had a large supporter base bringing in the cash. Gale never had to struggle as the leader of Richmond and does not understand the struggle of the smaller clubs.

Someone on the Swans board said, and I agree with them that Brendan Gale shouldn't be the choice for CEO as he has been at a club that is easy to run. Even when Richmond were complete crap they still had a large supporter base bringing in the cash. Gale never had to struggle as the leader of Richmond and does not understand the struggle of the smaller clubs.

this is hilarious

People have the memories of goldfish

LMAO. Oh woe is you.

Interesting on Gill, thought he was largely outstanding in the job overall.

Saved the game through COVID which was no mean feat.

Only knock on him was the appointment of Hocking and the amount of power he gave him, and the lack of accountability to Hockings role.

The mandate was to increase scoring, and Hocking changed rules, and changed the fabric of the game, mad ultimately reduced scoring, probably the worst appointment in the history of the AFL IMHO

To his credit Gil must have realised that in the end and shoved him out the door back to Geelong, but unfortunately its too late.
Any ceo could have saved covid, how is it different to vladys etc?

The biggest Failure is pushing Adam Goodes out of the game, and possibly rioli, letting clubs just sweep it under the carpet instead of making a stand.

Hocking just played 199 games of vfl/AFL what would he know about the game really??? He was working hand and hand with Gil to quicken up ball movement and try get the game resemble AFL and not a rolling scrum, Hocking left on his own accord, otherwise it would have been another smooth transition in house.

Grassroots footy health
Expanding to 20 teams
Growing the women's game at all levels, where it should take over reserves footy at grassroots
Inclusive of indigenous players, not just makeshift talk real action
Get a full forward to kick 100 goals

Should be the mandate to prospective applicants

Drop the AFL workers salaries and get people with a passion for the game, not just because they pay more

Richmond were always safe. You guys had the supporter base necessary to be safe. If St Kilda was in the same financial black hole I would agree with you but Richmond had the supporters so the debt wasn't ever going to be catastrophic.

ever heard of " save our skins "

Any ceo could have saved covid, how is it different to vladys etc?

The biggest Failure is pushing Adam Goodes out of the game, and possibly rioli, letting clubs just sweep it under the carpet instead of making a stand.

Hocking just played 199 games of vfl/AFL what would he know about the game really??? He was working hand and hand with Gil to quicken up ball movement and try get the game resemble AFL and not a rolling scrum, Hocking left on his own accord, otherwise it would have been another smooth transition in house.

Grassroots footy health
Expanding to 20 teams
Growing the women's game at all levels, where it should take over reserves footy at grassroots
Inclusive of indigenous players, not just makeshift talk real action
Get a full forward to kick 100 goals

Should be the mandate to prospective applicants

Drop the AFL workers salaries and get people with a passion for the game, not just because they pay more

You think the current afl execs don’t have passion for the game? Gil played a couple of hundred ammos games, Dillon played over 300, winning 6 A Grade flags.

You don’t play that much footy whilst working long office hours unless you are nuts for the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good administrator/negotiator/backroom deal kinda guy.

Not a leader. Andy D was a leader. Dodgy AF but he led.

Amusing that Gil gets so much credit for dealing with COVID because all those other sporting leagues went broke right?

Good
Top level of the game is well run financially
Buying Docklands
AFLW - our resident mental boomers hate it but it grows the audience

Bad
Reactionary rule changes
Dodgy AF dealings with the Bombers
Allowed the blight of gambling advertising to take over
Continued neglect of the lower levels of the game
Terrible AFL workplace culture but it might have been like that for a long time
Hamish McLachlan

Will be interesting to see who they pick for the role.

Good administrator/negotiator/backroom deal kinda guy.

Not a leader. Andy D was a leader. Dodgy AF but he led.

Amusing that Gil gets so much credit for dealing with COVID because all those other sporting leagues went broke right?

Good
Top level of the game is well run financially
Buying Docklands
AFLW - our resident mental boomers hate it but it grows the audience

Bad
Reactionary rule changes
Dodgy AF dealings with the Bombers
Allowed the blight of gambling advertising to take over
Continued neglect of the lower levels of the game
Terrible AFL workplace culture but it might have been like that for a long time
Hamish McLachlan

Will be interesting to see who they pick for the role.

I agree with this, every sporting league came out of covid fine, in fact the nrl improved their financial position over the 2 years and the AFL lost 60 million dollars, so I don't think they applied the old philosophy of 'never waste a crisis'.

I actually think gill was pretty good up till the last year or so when he became too 'woke' for want of a better term. I reckon this was a reaction to the goodes criticism he recieved. Interestingly 'go woke, go broke' appears to apply in this situation, as the AFL is losing money with reaching too far and way too quickly on AFLW (the intro of the comp was good but the folding to the players going professional demands and too bigger expansion too quickly will be a long term error).

I agree with this, every sporting league came out of covid fine, in fact the nrl improved their financial position over the 2 years and the AFL lost 60 million dollars, so I don't think they applied the old philosophy of 'never waste a crisis'.

I actually think gill was pretty good up till the last year or so when he became too 'woke' for want of a better term. I reckon this was a reaction to the goodes criticism he recieved. Interestingly 'go woke, go broke' appears to apply in this situation, as the AFL is losing money with reaching too far and way too quickly on AFLW (the intro of the comp was good but the folding to the players going professional demands and too bigger expansion too quickly will be a long term error).

Not sure about that but we will see. Too early to tell.

Its overall losses were in line with its 76 million in COVID expenditures - and it only lost 36m over the last 2 years. its not losing money because of AFLW.

Last edited:
Its overall losses were in line with its 76 million in COVID expenditures - and it only lost 36m over the last 2 years. its not losing money because of AFLW.

My understanding after reading the financial report was 20 million loss in 2020 and 40 million loss in 2021.

So if you take into account aflw is costing over 20 million annually to run and covid costs reportedly exceed 70 million, there has to be a significant contribution from having so many aflw teams, special flights, accommodation, testing requirements for the players, staff and admin costs over a bigger number of players and running of a bigger competition for longer.

As I said I actually like the concept of AFLW, I just think for the quality of product there are too many teams and some players getting over 100k for a 3 month season in a low quality competition that generates next to no revenue is a significant issue. A gradual increase over decades is more sensible.

You think the current afl execs don’t have passion for the game? Gil played a couple of hundred ammos games, Dillon played over 300, winning 6 A Grade flags.

You don’t play that much footy whilst working long office hours unless you are nuts for the game.

Ammos footy, give me a spell, so did leathlean, that's the problem it's a private boys club, done by back door deals to your mates

Ammos footy, give me a spell, so did leathlean, that's the problem it's a private boys club, done by back door deals to your mates

You stated you wanted execs with a passion for the game. That’s not a good enough indicator for you?

Lethas was better. He played hawks reserves.

My understanding after reading the financial report was 20 million loss in 2020 and 40 million loss in 2021.

So if you take into account aflw is costing over 20 million annually to run and covid costs reportedly exceed 70 million, there has to be a significant contribution from having so many aflw teams, special flights, accommodation, testing requirements for the players, staff and admin costs over a bigger number of players and running of a bigger competition for longer.

As I said I actually like the concept of AFLW, I just think for the quality of product there are too many teams and some players getting over 100k for a 3 month season in a low quality competition that generates next to no revenue is a significant issue. A gradual increase over decades is more sensible.

No.

And the revenue needs to be considered in the context of growing the game and female viewers; AFLW is a loss leader.

No.

And the revenue needs to be considered in the context of growing the game and female viewers; AFLW is a loss leader.

Sorry I don't understand your post, but I would have thought 10 teams playing a higher quality of football is much better for the growth of the women's game than 14 or 18 teams playing at a terrible standard because the talent pool isn't even close to meeting the amount of clubs.

So the AFL would be saving money on player wages and admin to run a bigger comp, but then long term bringing in better revenue because sponsors and viewers are more likely to watch a better standard of product. Off the back of significant losses during covid it's been pretty poor decision making imo.

Sorry I don't understand your post, but I would have thought 10 teams playing a higher quality of football is much better for the growth of the women's game than 14 or 18 teams playing at a terrible standard because the talent pool isn't even close to meeting the amount of clubs.

So the AFL would be saving money on player wages and admin to run a bigger comp, but then long term bringing in better revenue because sponsors and viewers are more likely to watch a better standard of product. Off the back of significant losses during covid it's been pretty poor decision making imo.

It's not poor decision making at all. I will keep this short. They can't wait decades so they have to push it.

The standard of the women's competition and the revenue it generates is secondary to being able to target 50% of population and putting local teams in key markets.

A loss leader is a product that makes a loss but brings in business, in this case female viewers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back