Gillon stepping down 2022 - Press Conference at 11:30am EST

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that Gillon is worried that some players are having heart issues and it's likely no coincidence he resigns after the Brownlow medallist is now out of the game for a period of time. Each week there seems to be a player ill with heart problems or fainting. I think he knows that they stuffed up with its mandatory jab policy and there is potential lawsuits coming his way. Just my take.

The truth will come out

Lizard.jpeg

I wouldn't mind a female at the helm. Imagine big decisions and boardroom stoushes without 'male ego and testosterone' making the decisions. I perceive women leaders as just having more level heads in general. Bring on the lady options, please.

Edit - and she doesn't have to be anyone we are familiar with, or from another club. Just one of those kick-ass, sharp-as-they-come, confident, over-achiever types with a proven track record from any industry would probably be awesome.
I reckon Julia Bishop would make a good candidate. Loves her Footy and has lots of experience dealing with loud blokes.

Bloody hell Travis Auld would be a terrible appointment, he completely stuffed the suns.

One thing I find really strange is the rush to get the new tv deal done which expires at the end of 2024. It's like people that sell land that won't be built on for another 5 years, then realise if they held out and sold it 5 years later they would have significantly increased their selling price. Plus in the land of television, during 2024 a new and big player in the tv market may have appeared pushing up the prices and competition, plus natural inflation, seems a ridiculous decision to me and will cost the AFL millions.

Wonder who the Victorian Government will install as their Puppet?
It doesn't make any sense that a Victorian Government would install CEOs who are so heavily biased towards non Victorian Clubs as the last couple have been.
Perhaps if you Port supporters stopped blaming Victorians for the failures of your shitty little franchise, and started to try to stand on your own 2 feet instead of demanding to be carried all the time, you'd be something other than a perennial laughing stock.

Good riddance. I had high hopes with his early rhetoric of 'returning the game to the people' but under his reign the AFL regressed further back into the VFL than under any CEO I can remember in my 27 years of watching footy.
No, It's not a responsibility of Victoria to win your club unearned premierships. Even if you are West Australian and feel very, very entitled.

Would be nice if they went for a legitimate, accomplished CEO and reached outside of AFL circles.
The AFL is a business, it needs to be run like one. Let someone come in and audit every role, get rid of the unnecessary jobs and delegate to qualified people.

I don't need to see or hear from the CEO to know if things are running smoothly. No more jobs for the boys and putting in ex-players and coaches just because they are familiar with the game or need a job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be nice if they went for a legitimate, accomplished CEO and reached outside of AFL circles.
The AFL is a business, it needs to be run like one. Let someone come in and audit every role, get rid of the unnecessary jobs and delegate to qualified people.

I don't need to see or hear from the CEO to know if things are running smoothly. No more jobs for the boys and putting in ex-players and coaches just because they are familiar with the game or need a job.

That'd be hard to do. The AFL has been a feeding trough for 'the boys' for years.

The thing is, the AFL is the prime controller of the game. Areas of development & community football are not primarily profit centres for the game.

Having an understanding of that aspect of the game would be important in a new CEO.

Agree cutting some of the fat and a significant restructure would only be done by an external candidate.

Top 3 picks in no particular order

Corey Worthington: History of events coordination, experienced at dealing with the media, refuses to apologise for wrongs, both actual and perceived (low risk of liability), brings attention to the suns effects on ocular health (fulfils social responsibilities).
Count me in!! Kid's a personal inspiration of mine. Almost a real life Bill & Ted. Luv the guy!

Agree cutting some of the fat and a significant restructure would only be done by an external candidate.

The flip side of that is any external CEO candidate that doesnt understand the football landscape is likely to completely ignore the grassroots as happens in professional leagues elsewhere around the world - and even in Australia - unless the Commission decides to act - which given its history seems unlikely as its very non interventionalist. You might think it cant get worse, but it very much can.

The AFL CEO should be responsible for League Operation and management only. AFLW should have a separate CEO reporting direct to the Commission, and Grassroots/Development should also report separately.

The flip side of that is any external CEO candidate that doesnt understand the football landscape is likely to completely ignore the grassroots as happens in professional leagues elsewhere around the world - and even in Australia - unless the Commission decides to act - which given its history seems unlikely as its very non interventionalist. You might think it cant get worse, but it very much can.

The AFL CEO should be responsible for League Operation and management only. AFLW should have a separate CEO reporting direct to the Commission, and Grassroots/Development should also report separately.

It's a valid point and the ceo manifest of restructuring usually annoys me, but I think the AFL is so overly inflated with staff costs and the nepotism that exists in there would only be bettered by an external candidate.

I also like your idea of separate ceo's for each. I'm interested in your thoughts on the tv rights being re-negotiated 2 years earlier than needed, I think this is a massive error which will leave huge amounts of cash on the table when they reflect on it once 2025 comes around. It also tells me the need to get this done so quickly means the new CEO will unfortunately be Auld or Dillon as they need to finish their projects too prior to moving into the big chair.

It's a valid point and the ceo manifest of restructuring usually annoys me, but I think the AFL is so overly inflated with staff costs and the nepotism that exists in there would only be bettered by an external candidate.

I also like your idea of separate ceo's for each. I'm interested in your thoughts on the tv rights being re-negotiated 2 years earlier than needed, I think this is a massive error which will leave huge amounts of cash on the table when they reflect on it once 2025 comes around. It also tells me the need to get this done so quickly means the new CEO will unfortunately be Auld or Dillon as they need to finish their projects too prior to moving into the big chair.

Nothing unusual in the rights negotiations. deal runs out in 2024. discussions usually start around 2 years beforehand and announced well before the previous deal ends. Mclachlan has been the prime negotiator for the league on these things since 2002.

View attachment 1371014

I'd be happy with this pick, myself.

You know what mark of the year will be then.....

images

Campbell
Gale
Prendergast

Would all do a good job, the first thing they need to do is slash salaries at AFL house, how can the ceo get well more than the best player, that's absurd, and well above the wage of any club ceo.

AFL isn't a private corporation, without members of the AFL and clubs it's nothing, it needs to provide greater transparency and be run like a government

Remove this Banner Ad

Back