Gippsland League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw foster play on saturday. I reckon the side they have this year would more then be able to hold their own in the gippsland league.

Maffra had nothing to do with Campbell being drafted, plus he played one senior game there. Power had a big influence and playing footy with the grammar school.

Change of name now???

Maybe gjillard?? Has a ring to it!!!

Alberton u16's won the inter-league competition last year against mid gippy, the gippsland league, ellinbank etc so that blows your theory out of the water.

surely if the gippsland league picked there best team, they would samsh Alberton league & the rest, i reckon the Traralgon under 16 team would nearly win the interleague by themselves, they have a super side & lock in the 2010 flag for the u/16 trarlgon side

surely if the gippsland league picked there best team, they would samsh Alberton league & the rest, i reckon the Traralgon under 16 team would nearly win the interleague by themselves, they have a super side & lock in the 2010 flag for the u/16 trarlgon side
I believe alberton have won the last 3. So are you suggesting in a 3 year period west gippsland have not picked there best squad in any of them ? Why just could not be bothered !!!

I believe alberton have won the last 3. So are you suggesting in a 3 year period west gippsland have not picked there best squad in any of them ? Why just could not be bothered !!!

i could be wrong, but from what i've seen, Traralgon have a heap of guns, Maffra & Sale aren't far behind, couldn't amagine any alberton teams being this good, surely the kids who play in the power u/16s also play in that interleague comp??

i could be wrong, but from what i've seen, Traralgon have a heap of guns, Maffra & Sale aren't far behind, couldn't amagine any alberton teams being this good, surely the kids who play in the power u/16s also play in that interleague comp??
All the boys who play power under 16 are elligable and also those that played in the recent v/line cup for under 15's. I don't think that you should be looking at individual teams as it is a league team we are talking about here. Traralgon are undefeated at both under 16 and 18 level but leongatha sit second on the ladder in the under 18 comp and week in week out they have 6 - 8 players in the senior team. What does this say for the other teams ? Perhaps not as good as they think ? Then you look down the bottom sale,wonny,drouin and morwell are very,very ordinary. Perhaps gippsland should just enter traralgon at both under 18 and 16 levels and see how they go?

No surely not!!!

You Robbie wrong, I am offended, you are one of if not the smartest poster on bigfooty.

Alberton juniors are very strong because of so many big towns in the league but i would think this year without wonthaggi they would be a bit weaker.

so many big towns...what like stony creek, fish creek, devon, foster, meeniyan, kilkunda, dalyston etc. What a stupid thing to say...I think the towns in the gipssland league would be a bit bigger saint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah they would be but alberton league has a big population compared to other smaller gippsland league and its no suprise they produce good junior sides. And the big towns dont have other teams to support like all the Gippy teams do.

Inverloch, Wonithaggi (last year), Burra, Phillip Island, Yarram are big towns.

What about the clubs in the mid gippsland league like Mirboo North, Newborough, trafalgar, morwell east, yinnar, yallorn north....I think the main factor in alberton's dominance in the u/16's age group is the fact they all play u/18's for their respected clubs, a much higher standard then u/16 competitions in all the other gippsland leagues.

Going back 5-6 years, no league in Victoria would come close to the junior comp that the Gippy League had. These days, they are no better or worse then anyone else.

Going back 5-6 years, no league in Victoria would come close to the junior comp that the Gippy League had. These days, they are no better or worse then anyone else.

Are you sure?? Did you go around and watch all of the other junior leagues in Victoria, or, are you just making a random comment and hoping that everyone takes it for gospel?

I know everyone will take it for gospel, because it's true. Look at the amount of high draft picks out of the WGLFL around 2003-2006. Theres ****en heaps. Potenetially, I was exaggerating, but it would not have been far off it. Certainly the best this side of Melbourne.

Sale are about the third best (at this stage of the season) in the GFL u/16 competition and i've seen Sale city u/18's who are one of the top teams in the NGFL and i would be willing to outlay a fair bit of money that Sale U/16's would roll the Sale City u/18's on any given day.Reason being that some of the guys who are regularly amongst the best in Sale City thirds most weeks are the same players who had to make way for the current crop of top age u/16 's at Sale a couple of years back when they were U/14's when Sale played them up on permit from their various junior clubs(other than Sale city) around the area so they were tied to the Sale FC for the future.Not only that ,even though they are an age group higher you wouldn't pick it judging by the size of the current Sale city U/18's compared to the Sale GFL u/16's.It's the natural progression of things ,all things being equal i.e no pressure from outside influences with minor league bias the best junior players around want to play in the highest standard league available and that is in the GFL .

Lucky Joel Brayshaw played for Sale as a junior and he enhanced his football skills by playing at a higher level. I bet you Sale City are laughing there way home to the bank (ooopps) when three under age Vic Country players that played at Sale are running around this week for Sale City only just 500 metres up the road.

Must have been so enthralling for him when he made the move from Stratford/College, that he must have forgotten about the place when he drove past the ground to sign his clearance to Sale City.

If you weren't so concerned about caring whether your under sixteens could beat Sale Citys Under 18's you might realise that the majority of your past junior players ended up pissing off to play elsewhere anyway!!!

I am sure Sale would love to have Brayshaw, Brander, Mclay, Schuback and Tollner runnning around at the moment.

For the record...GFL 18's won the interleague carnival yesterday. Smashed everyone. I'm not sure about the 16's but they probably won too. :thumbsu:

Lucky Joel Brayshaw played for Sale as a junior and he enhanced his football skills by playing at a higher level. I bet you Sale City are laughing there way home to the bank (ooopps) when three under age Vic Country players that played at Sale are running around this week for Sale City only just 500 metres up the road.

Must have been so enthralling for him when he made the move from Stratford/College, that he must have forgotten about the place when he drove past the ground to sign his clearance to Sale City.

If you weren't so concerned about caring whether your under sixteens could beat Sale Citys Under 18's you might realise that the majority of your past junior players ended up pissing off to play elsewhere anyway!!!

I am sure Sale would love to have Brayshaw, Brander, Mclay, Schuback and Tollner runnning around at the moment.
Not really concerned ,just stating an opinion .True a lot of Sale juniors have gone elsewhere to play ,....at clubs like Brisbane Lions ,StKilda ,Collingwood ,Bulldogs (thats western bulldogs BTW)and North Melb all over the last 20 yrs.Any idea how many Sale City have had drafted from their club with all it's juniors.....?I'll tell you ,over the last 20yrs none however in the early 80's a guy called Darren Grant played a couple of games in the then Footscray U/19's.Not one rep in the Gippy Power u/18's either ever.That's not to say that Sale City aren't a good club just different league ,different standard and they should never be compared to Sale from a playing POV ,i will concede however they are well administered and probably stronger financially than Sale fc ATM like a lot of minor league clubs are these days.

Of the the guys you mentioned ,they are all great players ,McLay had done his time ,been a great servant of the club and left on good terms chasing less training and a bit of extra cash ,can't hold that against him .Shuey was a bit disappointing considering where he came from and his young age when he left ,thought he might have given Sale a bit more than he did.Adam Brander might've been OK a couple of years back when he first got back ,but he'd be struggling to get a spot in the Sale backline now days ,Tollner would get a game don't know much about Brayshaw.Got nothing against Sale City just wish their Admin would stop bagging out Sale locally all the time ,either that or step up to the plate and apply to join the GFL if they are so good and then see how they go.

There is no doubt that Sale have done well in promting players to play in the AFL and your facts are correct. I am not comparing junior structures. They (Sale City) have done well in recruting players and this obviously come from there administration and finacial resources.

The point I am raising is it must be irritating to those at Sale to know of 3 or 4 players that would play/have played for Sale. And another three that have moved to the area have chosen to play for City, when they are quality players.

I believe it is worrying trend for Sale that City are recruting all these players that have the options of playing at Sale. And I don't believe it has anything at all to do with where you played your juniors as to where you choose to play your senior football for some players.

Your other point:

Mclay is 25, I agree with your reasons for him leaving. But he has plenty of football left him. Its good to know he left on good terms, he may come back who knows.

Adam Brander made the team of the year as a 17 year old as CHB. Don't tell me he wouldn't get a spot!!! He would be a premier defender in your side.

Josh Tollner would not play seniors at Sale!!! Are you serious? Jackson Glenane plays/played seniors and was a solid player at NGFNL level. Josh Tollner would be winning City's best and fairest by a stretch and he is one of the most damaging finishers in the league. He would be a great player for Sale.

I am not exactly sure why Schuback left, but he walked out mid year. I know for a fact he was challenged alot of the time in that year by one of the match committee. This may have been a factor.

For the record...GFL 18's won the interleague carnival yesterday. Smashed everyone. I'm not sure about the 16's but they probably won too. :thumbsu:
SMASHED ? We only defeated alberton league by 2 goals and had the alberton boys used the ball in the first half it may well have been a different story. The under 16's did it easy they beat alberton by 7 goals and i think that beat ellinbank by 5 goals. The gippsland league was the better league on the day taking out both 18' and 16's but did not smash them in the 18's not to sure if you were there or making an opion on a score card ?

There is no doubt that Sale have done well in promting players to play in the AFL and your facts are correct. I am not comparing junior structures. They (Sale City) have done well in recruting players and this obviously come from there administration and finacial resources.

The point I am raising is it must be irritating to those at Sale to know of 3 or 4 players that would play/have played for Sale. And another three that have moved to the area have chosen to play for City, when they are quality players.

I believe it is worrying trend for Sale that City are recruting all these players that have the options of playing at Sale. And I don't believe it has anything at all to do with where you played your juniors as to where you choose to play your senior football for some players.

Your other point:

Mclay is 25, I agree with your reasons for him leaving. But he has plenty of football left him. Its good to know he left on good terms, he may come back who knows.

Adam Brander made the team of the year as a 17 year old as CHB. Don't tell me he wouldn't get a spot!!! He would be a premier defender in your side.

Josh Tollner would not play seniors at Sale!!! Are you serious? Jackson Glenane plays/played seniors and was a solid player at NGFNL level. Josh Tollner would be winning City's best and fairest by a stretch and he is one of the most damaging finishers in the league. He would be a great player for Sale.

I am not exactly sure why Schuback left, but he walked out mid year. I know for a fact he was challenged alot of the time in that year by one of the match committee. This may have been a factor.
Read my post again Tollner would definitely get a game and it was a real shame that Brander didn't play more senior games for Sale .No idea why he didn't come back and play again.There has been a lot of good players go to Sale City rather than Sale ,having said that the magpies have recruited pretty well themselves this year and if a few things already in the pipeline come off ,next season will be even better.The currrent commitee are probably the best bunch of guys from an approachability POV than has been there for a long time led by a well respected president.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back