Gippsland League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't their players gone to dusties etc? I heard once some decent bloke came back from QLD and took a few guls mates to another club in the area. Atleast they're playing kids?:confused:

Anyone got any idea as to why Warragul are so effin crap?
Their U/16's and 18's are ok ,and there is really no reason why they shouldn't be able to keep them .In sale ,we lose a lot of our thirds because of them leaving town and going to Melb for uni or work etc but the shouldn't be a factor with Warragul given their proximity to Melbourne.On Saturday a couple of the Sale guys had to play with the guls in the ressies just so they could get a game going.That shouldn't happen with a club coming from a town the size Warragul. The Ellinbank clubs must have a lot of drawing power.Why is it that there is currently a kid playing in the VC u/16 team who would rather play with Neerim Nrm sth than playing with the Warragul 4ths ? Kind of blows the popular notion that "to get noticed you have to play in the major league" right out of the water doesn't it.

Their U/16's and 18's are ok ,and there is really no reason why they shouldn't be able to keep them .In sale ,we lose a lot of our thirds because of them leaving town and going to Melb for uni or work etc but the shouldn't be a factor with Warragul given their proximity to Melbourne.On Saturday a couple of the Sale guys had to play with the guls in the ressies just so they could get a game going.That shouldn't happen with a club coming from a town the size Warragul. The Ellinbank clubs must have a lot of drawing power.Why is it that there is currently a kid playing in the VC u/16 team who would rather play with Neerim Nrm sth than playing with the Warragul 4ths ? Kind of blows the popular notion that "to get noticed you have to play in the major league" right out of the water doesn't it.

Maybe because he lives in Neerim Neerim South :eek:

That theory is flawed, I mean if your a good enough young player you get put in the "system" from a young age. That's irrespective of who you play for and it really doesn't matter whether you play for Dargo, Neerim South or Warragul.

I don't think any players have not had a chance to succeed at a higher level through a lack of oppurtunity by playing in a "minor" league. Totally comes down to the individual player and not there background.

Gippsland power now picks blokes from all over the place rather than almost all from Gippy league. 5-10 years ago most of the list was from that league now the spread is much greater and gippy have been very good since then.

Makes no difference at all what junior club they play at.

That theory is flawed, I mean if your a good enough young player you get put in the "system" from a young age. That's irrespective of who you play for and it really doesn't matter whether you play for Dargo, Neerim South or Warragul.

I don't think any players have not had a chance to succeed at a higher level through a lack of oppurtunity by playing in a "minor" league. Totally comes down to the individual player and not there background.
May be the difference between major and minor leagues is decreasing.

May be the difference between major and minor leagues is decreasing.

no way, i've seen Traralgon, Maffra & Sale playing in the 3rds & 4ths and have also seen nth gippy & east gippy & they would smash any team from those leagues and if i was a punting man, i'd tip they'd smash ellinbank

no way, i've seen Traralgon, Maffra & Sale playing in the 3rds & 4ths and have also seen nth gippy & east gippy & they would smash any team from those leagues and if i was a punting man, i'd tip they'd smash ellinbank

Yeah i reckon that true, mainly because of the size of the town. Biggest towns will always have the strongest junior teams but the top couple of players in the smaller leagues are as good as the top couple in the big league.

I agree on the 3rds and 4ths but in the 1st the gap has closed in ellinbank.
Normally good under 18s play in the ones and that can have benefits over playing for warragul 3rds.

Kind of agree with you ,but it sort of raises the question of what is the point of the GFL having U/16's in the first place.The young guys around here in the past have been told that for Power to check you out ,you need to be playing in the major league underage comp and whilst they have more recently denied it when put on the spot by club officials ,i still didn't see any representation in this years Power U/16 team from a Sale City ,Boisdale or Stratford player ,only Maffra or Sale GFL u/16 kids and even in the strong Traralgon junior comp there wasn't a kid who made it without playing for Traralgon U/16's in the GFL.It's the same around here in U/18's as well. Maffra have a considerable number of young guys playing in their 3rd's and 4th's from Bairnsdale for that reason and i've even heard it said by a Maffra official that a guy like Campbell Heath would never of got drafted if he had stayed at Bairnsdale and played in the East Gippsland comp when not on Power duties.

Thats a load of crap. Look at a lot of the Gippy blokes playing AFL at the moment and just as many come from small clubs in lower leagues.

McCaffer - Killy Bass
West - Wonthaggi
Winderlich - Thorpdale
Hansen - NNG
Ross - Bunyip
Xavier Ellis and Dean Polo - Wy Yung or lakes, somewhere up there.

It doesnt matter where you come from if your good enough you can get into the power squad, they have over 100 kids on there list pre season so they give everyone a go.
A kid from nyora got picked up by power mid season one year playing school footy at leongatha. These days they look a lot more outside the major league.

Kind of agree with you ,but it sort of raises the question of what is the point of the GFL having U/16's in the first place.The young guys around here in the past have been told that for Power to check you out ,you need to be playing in the major league underage comp and whilst they have more recently denied it when put on the spot by club officials ,i still didn't see any representation in this years Power U/16 team from a Sale City ,Boisdale or Stratford player ,only Maffra or Sale GFL u/16 kids and even in the strong Traralgon junior comp there wasn't a kid who made it without playing for Traralgon U/16's in the GFL.It's the same around here in U/18's as well. Maffra have a considerable number of young guys playing in their 3rd's and 4th's from Bairnsdale for that reason and i've even heard it said by a Maffra official that a guy like Campbell Heath would never of got drafted if he had stayed at Bairnsdale and played in the East Gippsland comp when not on Power duties.

Stratford don't have an under sixteens do they??

That is probably why Josh Kiss, James Read, Lachlan Channing and Dermott Prout all play at Maffra!!!

I know locally that alot of the "better" younger players choose to play at a Maffra or Sale. But quite obvioulsy you don't have to play at that level to get noticed. Heyfield have had success in getting players drafted from there club, without playing at the higher level.

Our last player to play at power in Mitch Dowse had ample oppurtunities presented to him, once your in the 'system' it is totally up to the individual.

Campbell would have got noticed playing for Lindenow if he hadn't gone to Maffra, not too many six foot two left footers who use the ball like him floating around in that league at sixteen years of age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alberton u16's won the inter-league competition last year against mid gippy, the gippsland league, ellinbank etc so that blows your theory out of the water.

Alberton u16's won the inter-league competition last year against mid gippy, the gippsland league, ellinbank etc so that blows your theory out of the water.

I am pretty sure that the Gippsland League Under 16 rep side doesn't play against the other junior associations in Gippsland.

That is probably why Josh Kiss, James Read, Lachlan Channing and Dermott Prout all play at Maffra!!!

I know locally that alot of the "better" younger players choose to play at a Maffra or Sale. But quite obvioulsy you don't have to play at that level to get noticed. Heyfield have had success in getting players drafted from there club, without playing at the higher level.

Our last player to play at power in Mitch Dowse had ample oppurtunities presented to him, once your in the 'system' it is totally up to the individual.

Campbell would have got noticed playing for Lindenow if he hadn't gone to Maffra, not too many six foot two left footers who use the ball like him floating around in that league at sixteen years of age.
Stratford do have U/16's in the local sale and district comp and i think they are sitting 2nd on the ladder or something, not bad considering the players that have been "recruited" by Maffra.
It's debatable whether the GFL u/16 comp is actually necessary or viable.The top teams _Traralgon ,Maffra and sale are very good but the bottom teams struggle to even put a team on the ground sometimes and it's not as though they don't have good juniors in their town ,it's just that they would rather play in the Ellinbank or Mid Gippy comp because of the reduced travelling factor and not having to get up so early.Myself ,i've never agreed with the concept of GFL 4ths because i think it takes away viabilty from the local district U/16 comp but like it or not it was set up specifically to make it easier for Power to identify talent hence the popular notion around this area anyway that you have to play for either Maffra or Sale to get noticed.Doesn't help either when you have guys involved with Power saying as much -on the quiet of course.

mumford, heyne, wojcinski just to name a few more.

I think you'll find alot of Latrobe players actually go back and play locally on the Sunday if they can. At the district club I help with we have a good half a dozen who play for Sale and want to come back the next day, only because we end up with 24 most weekends we can't play them.
Sure we would love to have these kids playing but at the end of the day it means 6 other 'not so talented' kids get to play footy and enjoy it.

Why wouldn't you want the best kids having the opportunity to play the best kids from all over gippsland week in week out? Better than a few play each other in the SDJFA and a few more hit it out in the TJDFA all spread out. From a development perspective for a young kid trying to get into the power sytem being at a latrobe club has so many more advantages. Local junior competitions are never going to be able to get the level of support staff (trainers, coaches, senior players) that GFL provides.

I'm one of those who was "recruited" to Maffra, if I played any local league I never would have had Wayne Butcher (like him or not he's a proven winner) as a 15/16 year old, Adrian Burgiel to help me with goal kicking and Kal Killoran as an assistant coach. I never would have played in a team with Butcher, Carr and Heath who all help you improve just by watching the way they trained and approached football.
At Maffra we now have a physio to go with our doctor and four fully qualified trainers, you just don't get that at a local junior club.

Where do they go when they're over 16 anyway??

Also be interesting to know what year 16's came to the comp in comparison to Power being around.

I am pretty sure that the Gippsland League Under 16 rep side doesn't play against the other junior associations in Gippsland.

You would be wrong my friend. I think you'll find they do. It's called the u/16's Latrobe city cup, Alberton FL, Gippsland league, Ellinbank FL and Mid Gippsland FL compete in it :)

Well you are right Able.

The games are actually on next week.

Just wondering how long this concept has been happening??

mumford, heyne, wojcinski just to name a few more.

I think you'll find alot of Latrobe players actually go back and play locally on the Sunday if they can. At the district club I help with we have a good half a dozen who play for Sale and want to come back the next day, only because we end up with 24 most weekends we can't play them.
Sure we would love to have these kids playing but at the end of the day it means 6 other 'not so talented' kids get to play footy and enjoy it.

Why wouldn't you want the best kids having the opportunity to play the best kids from all over gippsland week in week out? Better than a few play each other in the SDJFA and a few more hit it out in the TJDFA all spread out. From a development perspective for a young kid trying to get into the power sytem being at a latrobe club has so many more advantages. Local junior competitions are never going to be able to get the level of support staff (trainers, coaches, senior players) that GFL provides.

I'm one of those who was "recruited" to Maffra, if I played any local league I never would have had Wayne Butcher (like him or not he's a proven winner) as a 15/16 year old, Adrian Burgiel to help me with goal kicking and Kal Killoran as an assistant coach. I never would have played in a team with Butcher, Carr and Heath who all help you improve just by watching the way they trained and approached football.
At Maffra we now have a physio to go with our doctor and four fully qualified trainers, you just don't get that at a local junior club.

Where do they go when they're over 16 anyway??

Also be interesting to know what year 16's came to the comp in comparison to Power being around.
The GFL U/16's is a great concept for all the reasons you mentioned but i just don't think it works too well when only a couple of clubs are fielding the best kids in their own area at that age and the rest are struggling to put a team on the field.Sale U/16's had a run of three weeks in a row where they played Moe ,Wonthaggi and Morwell and won each week by 15-20 goals with the opposition struggling to score ,that's not good for anyones game at that age whether you're on the winning or losing side.I'm not saying for one minute that it is an indication that Sale's juniors are better only that for some reason those clubs can't obviously get the best kids in their area to play and i can't see the competition as viable if you can't everybody on board with the GFL clubs attracting the best junior players.Maffra have been strong in the U/16's for a sustained period ,but they approach it like they would their senior team and actively recruit from out of town for their U/16's and U/18's often at the expense of the local Maffra kids missing out on a game.Perhaps that's the way all the clubs should approach it as an elite junior comp where you only get a game if you're good enough regardless of where you come from.

Maffra had nothing to do with Campbell being drafted, plus he played one senior game there. Power had a big influence and playing footy with the grammar school.

Watched Traralgon and Morwell today, first Gippy game I've seen since Grand Final last year. Maroons on top early but Morwell got going towards end of first half then turned it on in third quarter, dominated the stoppages and then went wide and ran Traralgon off therr legs kicking 6 goals to none for the quarter.

Goal of the year kicked in third quarter, not sure who but basically hacked ball out of mid air from 40 metres and perfect drop punt sailed thru at post high!

Maroons kicked first 3 in last quarter to get within 5 points but ran out of juice as Tigers kicked away for 37 point win. Soutar and Michaelides best for Morwell as well as #13 down back but dont know who he is.

Enjoyed the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back