Gippsland League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone remember the last time a Traralgon two's side lost the opening 3 games a season?

A lot of people, including myself, might have been wrong about B'dale. Started the year with some impressive wins. Certainly firming as a top 3 side at the moment, and if they can keep these performances up, might move into premiership favouritism by mid year!!

definitely not winning.

any good games on in the Sale/Maffra area on Saturday boys?

Sale play their first ever home game under lights against Morwell this Saturday. I would imagine the fact that it is under lights, and the added attraction of the addition of big Noodles McFarlane to the side should see a massive crowd there to have a look at the game.

Was lucky enough to witness one of the best games of country footy I have seen in several years yesterday.

Bairnsdale vs Traralgon was an epic battle. Despite the Maroons having a few missing (read: coach Jennings, McKenna and Jones) it was an outstanding games of football.

The players on show were exceptional. Hazelman, Fulton and Campbell were best for Traralgon for mine. while Gibbs, Donchi and Ashwood were excellent for the Redlegs. There were many more great players as the game ebbed and flowed while each side had a large number of Gippsland Power Reps this weekend - Traralgon 7 and East Gippsland 5 - the footy was simply high class.

A draw - from a spectators point of view - was a fitting result.

It is also fair to say that the underage games were of a very hight standard. Traralgon got the chocolates in the Under 16's and Bairnsdale in the Thirds but it was exceptional football to watch and there are a number of kids in those four sides that will feature in our football lives in the future as either AFL stars or local champions!

Great crowd to boot. Well done to both Bairnsdale and Traralgon an an excellent day!!!

I was actually going to ask that, how big of an impact do you think Bairnsdale's promotion in the GFL will have on the amount of East Gippsland kids drafted?

Obviously Ellis, Heyne, Heath and Stevens are recent examples, but surely there will be a major influx of East Gippslanders into the elite systems as a result of the move? (especially if the team becomes a dominant one)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was actually going to ask that, how big of an impact do you think Bairnsdale's promotion in the GFL will have on the amount of East Gippsland kids drafted?

Obviously Ellis, Heyne, Heath and Stevens are recent examples, but surely there will be a major influx of East Gippslanders into the elite systems as a result of the move? (especially if the team becomes a dominant one)
Don't think it will make that much of a difference ,East Gippy has always been a traditionally strong junior area anyway and i think the recruiters are well aware of that ,Sean Dempster was from Mallacoota i think who don't even have a club and he still managed to get drafted even without playing with Maffra or Sale in the GFL underage comps as did Xav Ellis from Lakes and Dean Polo from Wy Yung.The guys from Bairnsdale who are in the gun at the moment -Smith ,Wyatt ,Deery have all played for Maffra at some stage over the last couple of years so they have been in the higher competition all along too.

Think over the last 5 years its been proven that doesnt matter what junior club you play for if your good enough you will make it. Back about 10 years ago i reckon 80% of kids at power were from gippy latrobe or west gippy (drouin and warragul). These days there is probably more from the smaller leagues.

Look at mumford, ross x 2, west, blair, hansen, davenport etc that have come from smaller leagues and made it in recent years. Mumford is probably so good now because he didnt play for power and rucked against men as a 16-17 year old.

Anyone been to Vale Street to see the new facilities, oval etc. Would love to see some photos etc - I've heard that the oval was a bit patchy still?

Sale were without Dylan McLaren ,Peter McFarlane ,Taylor Collins and Rodney Love all senior players still to come back and had 3 thirds players in Scott ,McIntyre and Josh Martyn in the lineup which made the 100pt win all the more impressive.

Sale were without Dylan McLaren ,Peter McFarlane ,Taylor Collins and Rodney Love all senior players still to come back and had 3 thirds players in Scott ,McIntyre and Josh Martyn in the lineup which made the 100pt win all the more impressive.

can someone tell me how Kallan Killoran goes as a player, where he plays.

can someone tell me how Kallan Killoran goes as a player, where he plays.
When fit ,an absolute gun ,can play anywhere really but tough as nails when he's on the ball. Was an inspiration for Maffra for many years but that was his home town and club so that might wane a bit playing somewhere else.Was a major reason why Maffra were able to keep winning so many GF's even when it was thought that their lineup may not have been quite as strong as the past.I'm from Sale too and we despise Maffra but always admired the way Killa played and wished we'd had him.

When fit ,an absolute gun ,can play anywhere really but tough as nails when he's on the ball. Was an inspiration for Maffra for many years but that was his home town and club so that might wane a bit playing somewhere else.Was a major reason why Maffra were able to keep winning so many GF's even when it was thought that their lineup may not have been quite as strong as the past.I'm from Sale too and we despise Maffra but always admired the way Killa played and wished we'd had him.

Thanks.

Interleague this week ,hopefully everyone will be available.No way should the GFL be sitting as low ranked as they are.The Murray league is a collection of clubs from towns no bigger than Heyfield or Stratty if we don't beat them the league needs to have a good look at how they approach the interleague games.A good result and high ranking gives the league a strong reputation so the better players will be attracted to play in the comp.

If only the GL was playing Murray 71!
They're playing off for seventh and eighth rankings with the Hampden League. We're playing Central Murray which boast such bustling metropolises like Lalbert, Woorinen, Manangatang, and Nyah, which all make Stratty look like Melbourne.
Will be interesting to see how the new format of picking the actual side four weeks out works. Agreed that something had to be done. Looking at a map and census data the lay-person would be dumbfounded to know that a league that has the ten largest populations represented over such a large defined area with six minor league surrounding it would be the ninth -ranked country leauge in the state. It's embarassing, and I agree that something different had to be attempted to make sure we had close to our best players representing us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back