Gippsland League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if anyone else has already seen this, but YouTube user Starman4811 has uploaded the broadcast of the 1986 GF between Morwell and Sale. I tried to embed the videos, but it didn't work, so these links will have to do:

1st Quarter

2nd Quarter

3rd Quarter

Final Quarter

I wonder if there are any other old LVFL GF broadcasts/TV segments still in existance?

I wish he'd left the old ads in though :(

Saddened to hear the rumours flying around about Moe. Latest one i heard last night is they intend for this to be their last year in the Gippsland League. I would be glad to have someone from Moe come on here and tell me that's complete crap.
I know their junior grades aren't strong atm, but they missed out on the finals in the seniors by a kick last year, they now have the best facilities probably in the state outside of the AFL. I understand that some of their older senior players have gone to Newborough, but surely the move down's a bit drastic isn't it. they've been on the top flight competition since the 1800's for christ sake!
This competition took a giant stride last year IMO and is probably one of the most even anywhere. it would be so bloody frustrating to take a step back and lose Moe.
My question is, what can we do as local footy followers to make sure this doesn't happen and in some way help the lions.

My question is, what can we do as local footy followers to make sure this doesn't happen and in some way help the lions.

I'm not sure what local footy followers as a whole can do (buy memberships?) but I know what the greater Moe and district community (both people, and businesses) can, and should, do... really get behind the club, the same way the Bairnsdale community has really gotten behind the Redlegs in the last year (yes, I know there's a difference between one club stepping up from a minor comp, and another club potentially dropping down to a minor comp, but the same solution applies to both).

I'm not sure what local footy followers as a whole can do (buy memberships?) but I know what the greater Moe and district community (both people, and businesses) can, and should, do... really get behind the club, the same way the Bairnsdale community has really gotten behind the Redlegs in the last year (yes, I know there's a difference between one club stepping up from a minor comp, and another club potentially dropping down to a minor comp, but the same solution applies to both).

Maybe Trafalgar or Newborough could swap with Moe - both are financially sound and well supported although the Bulldogs still bear a grudge from when the Gippsland League ratted them out back in 1988.

Maybe Trafalgar or Newborough could swap with Moe - both are financially sound and well supported although the Bulldogs still bear a grudge from when the Gippsland League ratted them out back in 1988.

They'd need to merge to get a competitive side, any MGFL side would struggle.

Saddened to hear the rumours flying around about Moe. Latest one i heard last night is they intend for this to be their last year in the Gippsland League. I would be glad to have someone from Moe come on here and tell me that's complete crap.
I know their junior grades aren't strong atm, but they missed out on the finals in the seniors by a kick last year, they now have the best facilities probably in the state outside of the AFL. I understand that some of their older senior players have gone to Newborough, but surely the move down's a bit drastic isn't it. they've been on the top flight competition since the 1800's for christ sake!
This competition took a giant stride last year IMO and is probably one of the most even anywhere. it would be so bloody frustrating to take a step back and lose Moe.

If you believe that rumour you would believe any thing, is dissapointing no one from Moe have quashed the rumor. Whats the story Moe ?

If you believe that rumour you would believe any thing, is dissapointing no one from Moe have quashed the rumor. Whats the story Moe ?

Moe were very unlucky not to have made or won a premiership in the last 5 or 6 years they have been a very competitive side and have got good quality people involved in the club. All the rumors are rumors they will be okay and I have heard they are talking too a couple of A grade players that are keen to return to the club. Back in 1997 they had no players and got smashed every week in 2000 they played off in the grany. They are a proud club.

Seems to fairly quiet around the clubs in terms of recruiting players this year. Has anyone heard of any big name signings around clubs?
I think both Wonthaggi and Leongatha have probably been the most active club from what I have heard.

Ladder Prediction 2012
Sale
Traralgon
Maffra
Wonthaggi
Drouin (the loss of Andy Soumalis will drop them back a few spots)
Leongatha
Bairnsdale
Morwell
Warragul
Moe

What are your thoughts?

Moe were very unlucky not to have made or won a premiership in the last 5 or 6 years they have been a very competitive side and have got good quality people involved in the club. All the rumors are rumors they will be okay and I have heard they are talking too a couple of A grade players that are keen to return to the club. Back in 1997 they had no players and got smashed every week in 2000 they played off in the grany. They are a proud club

James Blaser has returned and the club has signed ex VFL onballer Nathan Tiberi. I've also heard Ben Morrow could be returning to the club after a year at Cowwarr which would help fill void left in the Ruck by Hancock.

3 or 4 of Traf's better players are close to committing to the Lions also.

I agree they've turned over some players but still have some quality in Donaldson, Johnson, Airdrie, Long, Ainsworth, Stuey Robbo and Makepeace is a strong chance to line up again despite retiring last year.

Heard also Rob Michaelides from Morwell is a good chance to line up for Newborough next season.

Seems to fairly quiet around the clubs in terms of recruiting players this year. Has anyone heard of any big name signings around clubs?
I think both Wonthaggi and Leongatha have probably been the most active club from what I have heard.

Ladder Prediction 2012
Sale
Traralgon
Maffra
Wonthaggi
Leongatha
Bairnsdale
Morwell
Warragul
Moe

What are your thoughts?
Drouin will also lose a few more of their better players,at least 6 good players leaving im told..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ladder Prediction 2012
Sale
Traralgon
Maffra
Wonthaggi
Leongatha
Bairnsdale
Morwell
Warragul
Moe

What are your thoughts?
The maggies will be good but we've been saying that for the last couple of seasons ,don't want to give them the kiss of death again.Maffra are getting a few players return to the club this year and will be strong particularly if a fit daniel stubbe decides not to follow his heart North and sticks around. On the other hand ,they are putting their hopes it seems in a lot of players returning that may be getting a bit old in the tooth anyway.Can't fathom why Leongatha replaced Campbell with Thursfield as coach unless he didn't want the job anymore.Saw them against Maffra in the final at Sale and they reminded me of a young Maffra team of ten or so years ago just before they hit their straps and started winning all those flags and AC was very impressive the way he addressed the young lineup when end result was a forgone conclusion. Can't go past Traralgon again though ,they'll get their usual influx of Power players who failed to get drafted and will be hard to beat.I've been involved a bit in the U/16-U/18 scene over the last couple of years and the current group of juniors ready to step up to senior level in Traralgon would be one of the best for a number of years.

The maggies will be good but we've been saying that for the last couple of seasons ,don't want to give them the kiss of death again.Maffra are getting a few players return to the club this year and will be strong particularly if a fit daniel stubbe decides not to follow his heart North and sticks around. On the other hand ,they are putting their hopes it seems in a lot of players returning that may be getting a bit old in the tooth anyway.Can't fathom why Leongatha replaced Campbell with Thursfield as coach unless he didn't want the job anymore.Saw them against Maffra in the final at Sale and they reminded me of a young Maffra team of ten or so years ago just before they hit their straps and started winning all those flags and AC was very impressive the way he addressed the young lineup when end result was a forgone conclusion. Can't go past Traralgon again though ,they'll get their usual influx of Power players who failed to get drafted and will be hard to beat.I've been involved a bit in the U/16-U/18 scene over the last couple of years and the current group of juniors ready to step up to senior level in Traralgon would be one of the best for a number of years.

If Moe have picked all the players that have been mentioned in previous posts they will not finish on bottom of the ladder. They will be better than last year and last year they beat Traralgon, Sale & Maffra and were very unlucky to just miss out on the finals. You could nearly pencil in all games at Vale street for wins.

Dwayne Holt back to Leongatha?? Any truth in that??

Mayhem & Roota#6 - In regard to Dwayne Holt. Have heard Leongatha, Stratford and even a team up near his hometown mentioned as possibles. His current Melbourne VAFA club also think he has committed to them for 2012. Does anyone know definitively? Would expect Leongatha to perhaps be favourites for his services but really hope he stays with De La Salle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back