Gippsland League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to look far away up Northen Victoria, The Bairnsdale and District Junior league implement that exact ruling too from Under 16's downwards.

Under 12's and 14's play it too 30 points, yet all goalkickers and best players are still recorded and entered just the margin stays at 30 points (added onto whatever the losing team scored).

All the players playing in the Under 18's or 16's for Bairnsdale have all came from that system, and it works out very well for the young fellas.

Also the person who is having a crack at the B'dale for not fielding a reserves side.. seriously think about it logically. As mentioned before, really who would be interested in playing for a rep team to play reserve footy 2 hours travelling distance away when they can play reserve or senior footy right in B'dale. Saves money, less effort and more convenient. The Redlegs were contemplating (albeit for a very short time before common sense prevailed) to make a squad of about 50 and those players who were not selected to play Seniors for B'dale play reserves in the same league. What would be the point in that though? It would be the Under 18's scenario all over again, and you would be having a whinge that the reserves are too good and it being unfair. You can't have it both ways... Also, then the EGFL would be forced to fold pretty much having lost so many players, and the standards would drop dramatically, thus ruining all country football in East Gippy because some twit from down the line complains about their poor reserve team getting a week off to have a few cans and support their team.

If you have a logical way for Bairnsdale to field a reasonable reserves side which works out with the Under 16's, 18's and then Senior grades, I'm sure the VCFL would love to meet you and have a chat. Don't complain if you can't contibute ways to fix the problem.

I'm not complaining just stating the facts sport. Ill state it again "every club that plays Bairnsdale have 22 (A RESERVES TEAM) blokes missing out on a game of football". That's not logical/fair to those blokes who enjoy having a game of football on the week end and have done so for many years. Or is it that you are so self absorbed in your self that you cant see that point. I really don't care if you do or don't agree with that statement !!

You'll fix it yourselves, Recon 3 years Bairnsdale be struggling without reserves. Time will tell
Ps Bomber I have feelings, and also not all Reserves players drink

Very short sighted View fellers.
Under 18 country football not AFL.
Don't understand how Bairnsdale think it is OK to flog a junior side by 40 odd goals but hasn't got the courage to field a reserves team. Are Bairnsdale scared of being flogged themselves in the reserves ???
Might be a bit of a problem of how Moe fc is perceived in the local area by the juniors .In Sale ,Maffra or Traralgon for e.g it's just the done thing if you are an above average junior in the area to aspire to play with the club in the GFL thirds, always has been.I don't think that is the case in Moe and i'm not just talking about this year ,i can't remember the last time i saw a bottom age Moe team in the GFL finals.Even when i played 3rds back in the early 80's (showing my age now) i remember thinking that Moe were suprisingly bad given the size of the town and also back then the SEC was in full swing and there were 100's of apprentices relocating to the valley every year and a large number of them at Yallourn W which was supported by the town.They were even getting beaten back then by neighbouring Newborough when they were in the league.It's sad seeing scorelines like that one on the weekend.

It can turn around very quickly. I played Under 14s in 1986 and we were smashed every week, by similar margins. I remember Michael Barrett (what ever happened to him?) kicked 17 and 18 goals against us that year (150-odd all up).
4 years later with 3 or 4 different/new players we played off in the 3rds Grand Final against Sale in 1990, losing by a solitary point. The next year the 3rds won the flag. It can turn pretty quickly if the club works at it.

I'm not complaining just stating the facts sport. Ill state it again "every club that plays Bairnsdale have 22 (A RESERVES TEAM) blokes missing out on a game of football". That's not logical/fair to those blokes who enjoy having a game of football on the week end and have done so for many years. Or is it that you are so self absorbed in your self that you cant see that point. I really don't care if you do or don't agree with that statement !!

You'll fix it yourselves, Recon 3 years Bairnsdale be struggling without reserves. Time will tell

Sorry to ruffle your feathers a little further here Tomm, but last year teams in the GFL had a bye. So what Bairnsdale have done is provide more games of football for the seniors, 3rds and 4ths - not less. The reserves are the only ones who effectively still have the bye. I would have thought that was logical and fair to as many people as possible.

Self absorbed? It seems most posters on here are in it for the betterment of football in Gippsland...Most.

It can turn around very quickly. I played Under 14s in 1986 and we were smashed every week, by similar margins. I remember Michael Barrett (what ever happened to him?) kicked 17 and 18 goals against us that year (150-odd all up).
4 years later with 3 or 4 different/new players we played off in the 3rds Grand Final against Sale in 1990, losing by a solitary point. The next year the 3rds won the flag. It can turn pretty quickly if the club works at it.

Yes fully agree club needs to work at it.

VCFL needs to put something in place where Kids just cant pack up and and move to outlying clubs in minor leagues which must be happening down Moe way. Questions must be asked at Moe why the kids are leaving or not playing footy in Moe. I hope its not a cash thing surly it hasn't come to this.
If anyone thinks its acceptable for a junior or senior team to be belted by 20 goals plus each week and just accept it as part of the game needs to relies boys will be lost to football. Or maybe its F**k you Jack im all right mate attitude.

it's illegal to pay players in junior footy.

I'm guessing most of the talented thirds players at Moe could probably pick up some cash playing seniors in the mid gippy and such.

I don't think Bairnsdale or anyone giving them six or so players each weekend is the solution. These kids signed up at Bairnsdale to play for their club with their mates, not to put a Moe or whoever jumper on for a half.

The point I see is that these Under 18 kids want to play a higher grade of football, and rather then having to travel to Maffra like most were forced to do at least twice a week they can now play much closer to home. Some of these players come from as far out as Orbost and further, its an hour and 20 min trip just to the Dale, add on the extra hour or whatever to Maffra and thats a bloody long round trip just for training. You just have to listen to Nick Heyne about being forced to board just to enable him to play Power, thus also forcing him to change schools. It is an inconvenience not only for these kids to play at a higher level, but also their families. If you're gonna have a go at them for absolutely trouncing a poor Moe outfit, then it speaks more of your own "self-absorbed" mindset and not realising how hard it is just for these guys to play in the first place for their team. What they are doing is not wrong, they want to play together with their mates, not for Moe who they (presumably) know no-one.

Also about the reserves, SwansRampage is on the money. More people are benefitting out of Bairnsdale entering the league, and the reserves are in the same boat as they were last year. Was it such a big issue last year that you kick up a fuss about the bye?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the problems gone away. I understand The under 18 team at Moe has Folded. But hay who gives a F**k our teams right. We Kicked their arse by 44 goals we must be the best coached side in the comp to do that Hey. The kids are the the real victims in this, now when clubs play Moe another side miss out of a game of footy.

The point I see is that these Under 18 kids want to play a higher grade of football, and rather then having to travel to Maffra like most were forced to do at least twice a week they can now play much closer to home. Some of these players come from as far out as Orbost and further, its an hour and 20 min trip just to the Dale, add on the extra hour or whatever to Maffra and thats a bloody long round trip just for training. You just have to listen to Nick Heyne about being forced to board just to enable him to play Power, thus also forcing him to change schools. It is an inconvenience not only for these kids to play at a higher level, but also their families.

It must be really worth the hour and 20 drive and innconvenice to there families for these kids to play at the "higher level" so they can win by 40 goals. I can see how that would be really benefiting their footy. Playing agaisnt such quality opposition.

Not the fault of Bairnsdale that Moe are so bad,the Moe fc has to work harder at attracting the best juniors in the area to the club with the help of the league.It's u/18 GFL FFS not the local junior league U/10's.If they can't field a team then they should forfeit and the club should be held accountable.In sale we have 2 clubs both with U/16 and u/18 grades neither struggle and the better players obviously want to go to the stronger league ,we are not strong every year but i can't remember a time when we have had to "borrow" players from the opposition and Sale definitely doesn't have as bigger area to draw from as Moe does.The Bairnsdale lads shouldn't be forced to play for the other team if thats the case then they may as well be back playing for wy yung or lindenow or whoever least they would get a fair dinkum game.

Looks like the problems gone away. I understand The under 18 team at Moe has Folded. But hay who gives a F**k our teams right. We Kicked their arse by 44 goals we must be the best coached side in the comp to do that Hey. The kids are the the real victims in this, now when clubs play Moe another side miss out of a game of footy.
They're not really kids they're U/18 some of them might even be driving themselves to the game.There would be a number of strong footballers in that age group in a town the size of Moe ,the problem is ,the club has got to work out why it is that they don't seem to want to play for them and fix the problem.There is something fundamentally wrong when Moe a town of what 15,000 people with a historically strong football culture can't field a U/18 team in the strongest comp in the region.

They're not really kids they're U/18 some of them might even be driving themselves to the game.There would be a number of strong footballers in that age group in a town the size of Moe ,the problem is ,the club has got to work out why it is that they don't seem to want to play for them and fix the problem.There is something fundamentally wrong when Moe a town of what 15,000 people with a historically strong football culture can't field a U/18 team in the strongest comp in the region.

Fully agree with that statement. Something is very wrong.

Yes fully agree club needs to work at it.

VCFL needs to put something in place where Kids just cant pack up and and move to outlying clubs in minor leagues which must be happening down Moe way. Questions must be asked at Moe why the kids are leaving or not playing footy in Moe. I hope its not a cash thing surly it hasn't come to this.
If anyone thinks its acceptable for a junior or senior team to be belted by 20 goals plus each week and just accept it as part of the game needs to relies boys will be lost to football. Or maybe its F**k you Jack im all right mate attitude.

Lets compare Moe with Newborough and Traf- who in recent years have had regular success in the GF (or at least go deep into finals in the fourths and Thirds). Also won a lot of the Central Gippsland juniors flags. There must be more than a few guns in these sides. So what is wrong with Moe that they cannot tempt some of these youngsters to come play in a stronger comp. Its okay to say "poor us" but if you have the right junior coaches in place then the kids will want to play for you.

It's a pity Moe can't field an under 18's side. There is clearly something wrong. I'm not close to the club so all I can do is speculate!

When I played 3rds in the same league years ago (for Warragul) some clubs were having the same problems and it tends to go in cycles. One of the main problems I found was that the higher leagues want too big of a commitment from there 3rds players. They want them to train a couple of nights a week, play and be involved in the club in general (functions etc). Many of these kids/adults are doing VCE, at uni, working etc etc and find the 'major league' too much effort. It's easier to play in the minor leagues who generally allow some leeway. They also get a greater oppuntunity to play senior football.

It's great to hear that Bairnsdale currently has good numbers in the thirds/forths. The test will be maintaining the numbers after the enthusiasm of rejoining the major league wears off. Clubs (paticularly Bairndale) will always struggle to attract strong juniors who are willing to travel long term (I remember Warragul to Bairndale was always a killer).

Hopefully all clubs can sort the juniors/seniors out because the area needs a strong major league with as many teams as possible.

What happened to the proposal of clubs at the extremities of the league (ir bairnsdale, warrigul, wonthaggi) playing at a central location like Morwell or Moe when they played each other?

I read Warragul are playing regulary 2 16 year olds in Jarryd Drew and Ryan Buttner and when not on Gippsland power duty, 2 others in Tom Muir and Tom Fusinato. Drew has featured in the best in both rounds this season and kicked 3 against morwell last week. Buttner played his first home and away senior game against morwell and i dare say has secured his spot being second best on, playing on the half forward flank in their on ball rotations. Warragul would have to be pretty confident for the future having 4 16 year olds playing senior footy consistently, and featuring in there best players.

Thoughts???

I read Warragul are playing regulary 2 16 year olds in Jarryd Drew and Ryan Buttner and when not on Gippsland power duty, 2 others in Tom Muir and Tom Fusinato. Drew has featured in the best in both rounds this season and kicked 3 against morwell last week. Buttner played his first home and away senior game against morwell and i dare say has secured his spot being second best on, playing on the half forward flank in their on ball rotations. Warragul would have to be pretty confident for the future having 4 16 year olds playing senior footy consistently, and featuring in there best players.

Thoughts???

I would say that you are probably one of these four kids on school holidays who is bored and looking for a bit of praise on this site.

What else can we say?

Thoughts???
I know the 2 tom's Muir and Fusi ,quality young guys both of them ,it's particularly pleasing to see Tommy Muir finally playing at a level he belongs rather than Neerim .The gulls are definitely on the right track by giving these young guys a go ,if they don't get drafted knowing these blokes they will be the future of the Warragul fc and play 200+ games.There is no reason why Warragul can't become a force in the comp again in years to come ,being so close to Melbourne ,they are in a lot better situation than almost every other club (except Drouin of course) in the GFL to attract quality players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back