Gippsland v Calder

Remove this Banner Ad

averaging 7 kicks and 4.5 handballs 5 marks and 14 hitouts. im sorry footyman but hes definately not worth pick twenty. a most a rookie. i admit the kid has potential but until he actually shows it he will have no hope of getting drafted. hes only got in the best twice this year and over 20 possies only once, against the jets who didnt have rowe or lesko playing that day. please tell me hes not going to draft camp.

I went yesterday and was almost pulling my hair out with where neaves was putting himself. For a ruckman, he wasnt positioning himself in the hole at all and was far too close to the contest so the ball kept going over his head, it was annoying!
Yes footyman, i think you will have to rethink your positioning with him...

The Opposition said:
I went yesterday and was almost pulling my hair out with where neaves was putting himself. For a ruckman, he wasnt positioning himself in the hole at all and was far too close to the contest so the ball kept going over his head, it was annoying!
Yes footyman, i think you will have to rethink your positioning with him...
Agree on the positioning, too short or too wide yesterday he was.

Freak - he is only going to screening.

Good win from Gippsland.
West, Delphine and Hansen lead from the front and Ellis had countless clearances from the defensive 50.
The forwards all stood up at different times with Neagle marking strongly and finishing well - good to see has got his form back. And Thomas flying for the screamers is always a good site - will hold one soon.
As a team all 22 players are in reasonable form whether it be this week or over the last few weeks.

As for the 'incidents' I don't think any players or coaching staff will be dwelling too much on them. Both the Dore collision (unfortunate for Farrelly) and the patting on the head (after 50m penalty and also after a Calder defender kicked straight to Neagle 20m out directly in front) are in game events that happen every week and the only people who are dwelling on them are spectators. As others have said Dore is a ball player and yesterday was an unfortunate accident involving two players with eyes only for ball. Yes he can lose his temper sometimes but first and foremost he is competing for possession.
And the head patting? The only inspiration the players will get from this is to not make the mistakes that lead to them. You see head patting and ribbing of players after mistakes every week at every level!
Not sure who you are referring to as the smug player footyman but if it is only for a gentle head patting then it is a bit rich.

Pretty certain that Calder will get more inspiration from the scoreboard than from any run of the mill onfield events.

After being thrown around a bit this year, it appears that Gippsland have finally determined that Lachlan Hansen's best postion is CHB. He has played the past three games in that possie and collected over 30 marks and averaged 17+ possessions. Has allowed players such as Brett Dore and Nathan Lieshout to play a role up forward.

Where do people think that he is best suited? What will be his role for 2006?

Couldnt be there on Saturday and just wanted to know how a few of the calder boys went in the demolition job handed down by the power.. such as douglas, caruso, neaves, wall and last weeks bog allen.

Also if anyone has some news as to the health of farrelly that would be good

Jimmyjess said:
After being thrown around a bit this year, it appears that Gippsland have finally determined that Lachlan Hansen's best postion is CHB.

Driving the bus toward the No:1 draft pick. Mind you the bus will have a few passengers in 2006 the way things are shaping up ;)

footyman said:
Michael Farrelly was cleaned up midway through the last quarter, I think it was by Brett Dore (who I'll be glad to see the back of from this competition to be honest) QUOTE]
Footyman, I'm glad you are not a selector!!! Did you see how many votes Brett Dore got in the Morrish Medal?? I'm sure you did, 15 votes, looks like a few other people out there don't share your view of what types of footballers are "worthy of the AFL" . Also noticed only 2 players were suspended this year in the TAC Cup, one being the above, the other being B. Scalzo of the Stingrays, who I might add also collected 15 votes!!!! Good to see that Aussie Rules still has some of the "old school" type players that a lot of the "oldies" like!!! ;)

saintlynewby said:
Footyman, I'm glad you are not a selector!!! Did you see how many votes Brett Dore got in the Morrish Medal?? I'm sure you did, 15 votes, looks like a few other people out there don't share your view of what types of footballers are "worthy of the AFL" . Also noticed only 2 players were suspended this year in the TAC Cup, one being the above, the other being B. Scalzo of the Stingrays, who I might add also collected 15 votes!!!! Good to see that Aussie Rules still has some of the "old school" type players that a lot of the "oldies" like!!! ;)
Morrish Medal votes go to players who stand out to umpires, there is plenty of Dore to see thats for sure.

Hahaha thought I'd get a bit better response!!!!! I actually agree with you, I don't think the Morrish Medal really picks out the "Best" players in the TAC, but it's a great boost to the kids and congratulations to young Forte. It's always a good thing to get positive recognition!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fazza's gonna b alright... but use that dont know him have no idea what happened in hospital, or in the clubrooms. His parents were just concerned, upset and probably in a state of shock, and people do all sorts of things when in shock.

Jimmyjess said:
After being thrown around a bit this year, it appears that Gippsland have finally determined that Lachlan Hansen's best postion is CHB. He has played the past three games in that possie and collected over 30 marks and averaged 17+ possessions. Has allowed players such as Brett Dore and Nathan Lieshout to play a role up forward.

I don't know if they have decided that Hansen is best suited to CHB, or if it is a case of trying to accomodate Neagle, Fraser and Dore in the forward line.

As good as he is at CHB he looks a CHF to me. I would expect him to play most of 2006 up forward. Pretty standard for the juniors to spend one year down back and then go forward.

79Vintage said:
Subtract 20 kicks and you've got it right. ;)
mate I'm going by the TAC website stats. I was there and he deserved the kickouts being counted as possies because he didn't miss a target even though Calder gave him more than enough opportunities.

Powers manager said:
mate I'm going by the TAC website stats. I was there and he deserved the kickouts being counted as possies because he didn't miss a target even though Calder gave him more than enough opportunities.
I thought you might say that. No surprise at all actually.

Kick outs counted in stats? If the fwits at TAC are going to do that, then fine, put an asterix next to his stats and state that there are 20 kicks from kick outs. Otherwise, regardless of effective kick outs, it's sheer misrepresentation.

79Vintage said:
Kick outs counted in stats? If the fwits at TAC are going to do that, then fine, put an asterix next to his stats and state that there are 20 kicks from kick outs. Otherwise, regardless of effective kick outs, it's sheer misrepresentation.
I agree that kick outs certainly don't deserve on the stat sheet but he was impressive considering he was shoved once again in the back pocket. Delphine was very exciting early on but slowed down a bit towards the end. Why is it no suprise footyman that i gave Ellis a rap? Sure i'm on his banwagon now, but only since the U18 comp.

Powers manager said:
Why is it no suprise footyman that i gave Ellis a rap? Sure i'm on his banwagon now, but only since the U18 comp.
Because virtually every one of your posts talks up Xavier Ellis. You seem to know exactly what he's done in a match too.

footyman said:
Because virtually every one of your posts talks up Xavier Ellis. You seem to know exactly what he's done in a match too.
Are you implying that HE is Xa......... ;)

footyman said:
Cannons let themselves down really badly today losing by 77 points.

Gippsland Power 6.5 9.7 14.11 19.14 (128)
Calder Cannons 1.3 4.9 5.15 5.21 (51)

BEST:
Gippsland Power: West Hansen Ellis Delphine Dore Dunne
Calder Cannons: Douglas McErlain Scott O'Dwyer Allen McGough

GOALS:
Gippsland Power: Neagle 5 Delphine 4 Thomas 2 Dunne 2 Dore Ross Eddy Goldsack Fraser O'Bryan
Calder Cannons: Bowes O'Dwyer Caruso Gazzo Douglas

By the end the constant missing of shots at goal became a joke. Blokes were missing from 30m out directly in front. 1.12 after half time for them. Gippsland were fairly arrogant in the way they played, a few blokes more so than others.

West played a great game in the ruck, certainly made people stand up and take notice of his ability. Hansen is going to be something special in 2006 that's for sure, holds his own down back.

Cannons forward line didn't work, seems that Neaves and co just being plonked down there relying on marking all sorts of skyballs just doesn't work. Neaves played like 'Jane' today that's for sure.

Richard Douglas was by far their best player, but too many passengers along with bad kicking let them down.

Michael Farrelly was cleaned up midway through the last quarter, I think it was by Brett Dore (who I'll be glad to see the back of from this competition to be honest) and went to the ground and didn't move for some time before being stretchered off. Adding to the drama, I presume it was his mother who stood at the fence screaming and yelling. Hopefully he's alright anyway, I admire how he plays footy and I've made it known before I do think he's a handy player for the Cannons the way he attacks the footy.
Thanks footy maan for your opinions and i agree all the way and yes that was his mum screamng. I believe she was in shock and more upset at the umpires continouing on while he lay there and the the gippsland runner came passed the parents at the fence and actually laughed in there face which u could imagine would make anyone more angry and i have read some of the comments and they are rediculous especially peple making comments about the parents when they dont know all the facts

Jimmyjess said:
Whilst Brett Dore is no doubt a bit of a hot-head, he generally is the retaliator and not the aggressor. The incident with Farrelly was a fair contest at top pace. Dore hit the pack at top pace with his arms raised to take the mark, which he almost did.

Whilst the parents took exception to the incident, not one of the Calder players appeared to have any problem with Brett. Obviously they saw it as a genuine contested situation. I am sure that if it was an untoward challenge they would have stood up for their fallen comrade.

I myself would not want to be hit by Brett Dore at full pace. Appeared that Farrelly hit his head on the ground following the contest.

His parents actions after the game and the threatening verbal barrage and gestures towards Brett were unwarranted.
Who are you to judge people on things you do not know all about i can tell you now they are lovely people and that was all in the heat of shock and yes they werent happy with him hitting from behind like he did and mostly angry at play still goin on.You obviously dont have children otherwise you would understand and when the runner on the other side is laughing in there face wouldnt you be angry ,i think people should keep there opinions to themselves if they dont know how it feels or the facts to what happens. So i think the verbal berrage was coming both ways

footyman said:
That is fair enough.

To the naked eye from a long way away it looked crude. To the umpire it was fair enough. I haven't see a replay so I won't comment on whether it was allowable or not. One bloke comes steaming at full pace and crunches a bloke standing in front, both going fo the mark - that is fair enough. Like you say Calder players didn't retaliate that much.

Brett Dore will be a good player for some rural Gippsland team, but his type in the TAC Cup don't do much for me. Same with Prior and Murray.

I didn't notice the abuse from Farrelly's parents after the game, I certainly saw the drama just after the incident. I think they were quite close to jumping the fence and going onto the ground. At the same time, I can understand the reaction at that time, Dore is fat and would do quite a bit of damage going at someone at pace, especially a guy like Farrelly who is fairly skinny. But to abuse him after the game was going too far.

As for the Calder players, I hope they remember that incident and also the arrogant pat on the head some smug Gippsland player gave one of them when they gave away a 50m penalty if they happen to meet again this season.
Yes his mum was close to going on the ground only in concern for her son not moving but they refrained themselves which would be hard and as far as the abuse goes well thats what anger does when bad enough to see what happened to there son but to have to runner from the oposition laugh in there face well thats enough to make anyone angrier ,but they do appreciate the fact that the oposition doctor came and told them he had just regained conciosness

Remove this Banner Ad

Gippsland v Calder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back