Going to an NBA game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
HAWTHORN
Just wondering if anybody can help me. In mid January next year I'm heading over to New York for a couple of weeks. I was hoping I could get along to catch a Nicks game while I was there. I have looked on their website and seen they are playing a few games in NY during this time (e.g. Suns) and have tried to find info about obtaining tickets but it is quite confusing.

So does anybody know my chances of getting tickets to a Nicks game (where to get them, how much, etc)?

Cheers

Yeah, have a similar question. Will be in LA early Janurary, hoping to catch a Lakers game. Do their games usually get sold out? I.e. should I be booking tickets soonish or could you get tickets at the gate?

I usually use www.ticketsnow.com as my site for getting tickets. I usually get them a week or so before the game. The site has a chart showing the prices for each section in the stands and the number of tix available. Prices are reasonable as well.

Yeah, have a similar question. Will be in LA early Janurary, hoping to catch a Lakers game. Do their games usually get sold out? I.e. should I be booking tickets soonish or could you get tickets at the gate?
Yes, their games almost always sell out. Put simply, people in LA are weak gloryhunters and support teams just because they're good. If you wanted to watch a team with real fans, you could go to a Clippers game. But if you want to be around plastic celebrities and bandwagon-hoping douches, the Lakers game is probably for you.

Ranting aside, Lakers single game tickets go on sale according to this information: http://www.nba.com/lakers/tickets/individual.html
There isn't really anything that should be too confusing about that. Just follow their links on the day they go on sale and buy them, and you should get good seats for January games without any issues. If they somehow sell out, you can easily buy them off StubHub or scalpers outside the venue on the day of the game, and the prices wouldn't be too bad at that point in the season.

Yes, their games almost always sell out. Put simply, people in LA are weak gloryhunters and support teams just because they're good. If you wanted to watch a team with real fans, you could go to a Clippers game. But if you want to be around plastic celebrities and bandwagon-hoping douches, the Lakers game is probably for you.

hai

Pau+Gasol_+Kobe+Bryant_+and+Lamar+Odom+Lakers+Championship+photo.jpg

So does anybody know my chances of getting tickets to a Nicks game (where to get them, how much, etc)?

Cheers

Hey mate,

I caught 2 Knicks games in December last year. The easiest way to get tickets as an international fan is to sign up to the Knicks Insider on their website. They have some special deals for international fans coming to NY - a small number of tickets are actually released here thorugh the club before they are available to the public (as a presale through ticketmaster). I saw the Knicks take on the Heat on xmas day and the Spurs two days later - got tickets for both through the international fan pre-sale.

Whatever you do, don't buy tickets from scalpers outside the garden - they are mostly fake and we saw quite a few pissed off tourists getting turned away at the door!

Probably also worth checking out the Nets schedule if you are in NY - it's WAY easier to get tickets and pretty easy to get across the river on public transport. I saw the Nets play the Cavs and got to see pre-Decision LeBron in full flight. Might be slightly tougher now that they have moved away from the IZOD center, which was like a giant, freezing cave.

Also went to a Celtics game in Boston - just jumped online the minute tickets went on sale and got some sweet seats. Just check the team websites and ticketmaster etc - you should be able to see when tickets go on sale.

For those that have been to a game is it better to pay extra and sit as close as possible, or do you still get a decent enough view from further back? I want to attend a few games. In general I think I will just get the cheapest seats, but am thinking about spending more and getting close for a magic at nets game. Any advice appreciated.

For those that have been to a game is it better to pay extra and sit as close as possible, or do you still get a decent enough view from further back? I want to attend a few games. In general I think I will just get the cheapest seats, but am thinking about spending more and getting close for a magic at nets game. Any advice appreciated.

I went on a bit of a basketball tour of the US about 5 or so years ago and sat in a variety of different spots. To be honest, it kind of depends on the city you are in. Having said that, there is a distinct improvement in view from the upper deck to the lower deck, and it is worth paying the extra amount to get better seats - the rub here is that these are usually owned by the season ticket holders, so you'll probably need to buy them through a reseller like StubHub or even ebay (I picked up two courtside seats for a Nuggets game on eBay).

Good luck and enjoy - if you love your basketball it's definitely worth doing!

Just checking dates, home games and whatnot I could either see a Lakers vs. Knicks game OR Clippers vs. Warriors game. Ideally would want to see the Lakers game (sorry kagij) but the price differences are amazing. Going through sites like 'Ticketsnow' and 'Stubhub', ~$100 would get me a ticket way up high (top level) at the LA-NY game, however at the Clippers game that cash could get me a ticket 15 rows from the floor.

Decisions. Would I rather have a very good seat at a game or see two teams with quality players?

Anyone been to a game where they sat on the top level, do you still get a good view etc.?

Booked my tickets to Golden State vs Sacramento the other night for 21/1...tickets for LA Clippers vs Minnesota go on sale Sunday for 19/1.

My trip has coincided with two of the bigger match ups of the NBA season.

Has anyone ever gone to Oracle Arena in Oakland? I was reading a bit about where it is, and it's in an area known for violence and drugs...

Ticketmaster is the best option, in my own opinion. You can select international will call (which is just a window at the arena) to pick up tickets.

I have got tickets for the following games next year (all at cost price through ticketmaster):

10 Mar 11 - Lakers @ Heat
18 Mar 11 - Warriors @ Suns
30 Mar 11 - Magic @ Hawks
1 Apr 11 - Celtics @ Hawks
10 Apr 11 - Hornets @ Grizzlies
11 Apr 11 - Jazz @ Hornets

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just checking dates, home games and whatnot I could either see a Lakers vs. Knicks game OR Clippers vs. Warriors game. Ideally would want to see the Lakers game (sorry kagij) but the price differences are amazing. Going through sites like 'Ticketsnow' and 'Stubhub', ~$100 would get me a ticket way up high (top level) at the LA-NY game, however at the Clippers game that cash could get me a ticket 15 rows from the floor.

Decisions. Would I rather have a very good seat at a game or see two teams with quality players?

Anyone been to a game where they sat on the top level, do you still get a good view etc.?
Obviously I'm biased, but being in good seats without the pathetic plastic fans for a much cheaper price would be much better than paying ridiculous prices to sit with gloryhunters.

The 300s at Staples are better than a lot of other 300s around America (Honda Center, for example) but the difference between being up there and being on the lower deck is massive. If you're going to multiple games I'd probably suggest doing both (although if you've got a bit of cash, the San Miguel Club in the 200s at Staples is pretty sweet too). But if you've just got one game, the Clippers one in the lower deck is without a doubt your best bet.

Also a tip, never buy Clippers tickets through Ticketmaster unless they're playing the Lakers. You'll always get much better prices on StubHub or from the scalpers outside the venue on the night of the game.

If you do decide to go to the Clippers game PM me and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have or give you tips on what you should do before/after games. If you're going to see my team in my home town (well, sorta), I want you to have a good time!

Obviously I'm biased, but being in good seats without the pathetic plastic fans for a much cheaper price would be much better than paying ridiculous prices to sit with gloryhunters.

The 300s at Staples are better than a lot of other 300s around America (Honda Center, for example) but the difference between being up there and being on the lower deck is massive. If you're going to multiple games I'd probably suggest doing both (although if you've got a bit of cash, the San Miguel Club in the 200s at Staples is pretty sweet too). But if you've just got one game, the Clippers one in the lower deck is without a doubt your best bet.

Also a tip, never buy Clippers tickets through Ticketmaster unless they're playing the Lakers. You'll always get much better prices on StubHub or from the scalpers outside the venue on the night of the game.

If you do decide to go to the Clippers game PM me and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have or give you tips on what you should do before/after games. If you're going to see my team in my home town (well, sorta), I want you to have a good time!

Thanks for all the help mate, to be honest I'm leaning towards going to the Clippers game with the better seats as I'm only going to one game and want to get the best view possible. On 'Ticketsnow' I saw tickets for $100 about 15 rows from the floor (section 112), decent value?

Hmmm, that's decent value, but I'd look at Stub Hub. There's some pretty good deals there. The premier seating (which is the San Manuel Club, which comes with in-seat food service and a pretty good restaurant to eat at before games) is going for around $80 a ticket. But the seats you were going to get are at a pretty similar price to the one you saw. It depends what you're after really, if you want less of an atmosphere and more luxury, go the Club seats, but if you want to be closer to it and more involved (which can make a boring Clippers loss in January much more interesting) take the tickets you saw or the equivalents on Stub Hub. Both represent good value.

Also, beware with ticket sites. StubHub charge around $10 of fees per purchase, a lot of those ticket agencies (Ticketsnow or 714 Tickets, for example) do similar things.

Ticketmaster is the best option, in my own opinion. You can select international will call (which is just a window at the arena) to pick up tickets.

I have got tickets for the following games next year (all at cost price through ticketmaster):

10 Mar 11 - Lakers @ Heat
18 Mar 11 - Warriors @ Suns
30 Mar 11 - Magic @ Hawks
1 Apr 11 - Celtics @ Hawks
10 Apr 11 - Hornets @ Grizzlies
11 Apr 11 - Jazz @ Hornets

I'll see you there brother!!!

Where are your seats for this one?

Yesterday I booked my tickets for Lakers vs Atlanta. Am sitting in the 300s like last time but its still pretty good watching from up there.
Was keen to go see the clippers and the celtics but the prices are ver high. I guess everyone wants to see Shaq.

Hmmm, that's decent value, but I'd look at Stub Hub. There's some pretty good deals there. The premier seating (which is the San Manuel Club, which comes with in-seat food service and a pretty good restaurant to eat at before games) is going for around $80 a ticket. But the seats you were going to get are at a pretty similar price to the one you saw. It depends what you're after really, if you want less of an atmosphere and more luxury, go the Club seats, but if you want to be closer to it and more involved (which can make a boring Clippers loss in January much more interesting) take the tickets you saw or the equivalents on Stub Hub. Both represent good value.

Also, beware with ticket sites. StubHub charge around $10 of fees per purchase, a lot of those ticket agencies (Ticketsnow or 714 Tickets, for example) do similar things.

Ahhh, this is so frustrating. Trying to make an account on StubHub and it keeps giving me something that is invalid, for 'Phone' I've typed in my mobile number, it says invalid so I type in my home number and it says invalid. Am I doing it wrong? Do you need to put in like (03) for Melbourne? Really battling here... :confused: :eek:

Ahhh, this is so frustrating. Trying to make an account on StubHub and it keeps giving me something that is invalid, for 'Phone' I've typed in my mobile number, it says invalid so I type in my home number and it says invalid. Am I doing it wrong? Do you need to put in like (03) for Melbourne? Really battling here... :confused: :eek:

Had that problem yesterday. We just put in the number of our LA hotel including the area code in brackets.

Had that problem yesterday. We just put in the number of our LA hotel including the area code in brackets.

Don't know where I'm staying in LA yet, so can't do that. :(

Surely if they have Australia as a country option then you could put in an Australian number.

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to an NBA game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back