Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Some good points about a lack of on field leadership.
I think GC need a coach who can think outside the box and top shelf assistants around him to control the on/off field stuff on the Gold Coast which is notorious for failing sporting clubs, not just standard "Rah Rah I'm tough play better" AFL type which Hardwick is.

Oh man, not gonna lie, I'm having some awesome schadenfreuder here. Hardwick really is a creep of a bloke.
Interesting comment from a GC supporter.
The whole anti-Covid/conspiracy thing.
The Mrs Hardwick/staffer while in hub thing.
Referring to the young human's he's going to be leading and guiding as 'toys' thing.

Anything else lately?

Gonna come at this from a different angle.

Their entire list, bar Sam Collins, are basically private schooled first round picks, or academy players.

Every single one of them has never had to fight for their careers. Its been handed to them. They have been put in cotton wool and handed a silver spoon by the football industry.

Check their list, Carey grammar x 2, Haileybury college, Academy players x about 12, Scotch college etc etc. All would probably have trust funds set up so they wont need a real job if footy doesnt work out.

When the going gets tough, they absolutely go to water.

The fighting mentality of these players isnt there. They are soft, Physically and mentally. How they havent played finals this year is beyond appalling.

If im Dimma, im making a statement. Out you go Matt Rowell. Very very replacable.

Also. Dusty is an absolute must.

I wonder if the whole 'Gold Coast sporting black hole' thing is real. The Rollers in the NBL, Titans in NRL etc all floundered. A part of that is just the culture of the Gold Coast: mostly a holiday resort/place for retirees, it doesn't have the same sense of identity as even western Sydney. Not to say a GC team can't do well, but it might be one reason. The real question is why GWS has done so well compared to the GC.

I wonder if the whole 'Gold Coast sporting black hole' thing is real. The Rollers in the NBL, Titans in NRL etc all floundered. A part of that is just the culture of the Gold Coast: mostly a holiday resort/place for retirees, it doesn't have the same sense of identity as even western Sydney. Not to say a GC team can't do well, but it might be one reason. The real question is why GWS has done so well compared to the GC.
It is beginning to change though. You're starting to see more development occurring, plus improvements to the GC train line mean you can live on the coast and commute to central Brisbane in just over an hour, so it becomes appealing to more than just retires or tourists. Especially in the WFH era where you might only go into the office 2-3 days a week.

With regards to other sports. No doubt they've struggled. Although a not inconsiderable part of that imo is likely wider issues with the governing body (think the NBL in the 2000s and early 2010s) and/or Aleague/Football Australia/APL as a whole or poor franchise ownership/administration. I think a GC based NBL team would likely fare much better today than it's previous incarnation.

Their entire list, bar Sam Collins, are basically private schooled first round picks, or academy players.

Every single one of them has never had to fight for their careers. Its been handed to them. They have been put in cotton wool and handed a silver spoon by the football industry.

Check their list, Carey grammar x 2, Haileybury college, Academy players x about 12, Scotch college etc etc. All would probably have trust funds set up so they wont need a real job if footy doesnt work out.

The fighting mentality of these players isnt there. They are soft, Physically and mentally. How they havent played finals this year is beyond appalling.

If im Dimma, im making a statement. Out you go Matt Rowell. Very very replacable.

Also. Dusty is an absolute m
"If im Dimma, im making a statement. Out you go Matt Rowell"

😂😂😂 Yeah because that wouldn't be THE stupidest thing a coach ever did...ever...... in the AFL😂😂😂

Last edited:
Man AFL coaches really do have to churn out absolute tripe to please the masses. How "the next 3 weeks can be defining". If the Suns have 3 brilliant wins in the next 3 weeks that would almost be a spit in the face for their supporters that the team could suddenly win when it's all too late, expectations are shot and the pressure is gone.

Change the kit.

I'm dead serious.

They'll never get anywhere running around in a training kit and pretending they are anything more than a 'franchise' in a competition full of 'clubs'.

Change the kit.

I'm dead serious.

They'll never get anywhere running around in a training kit and pretending they are anything more than a 'franchise' in a competition full of 'clubs'.
They are, the whole kit is getting a complete re-do this offseason. Logo, Jumper, all of it (apparently)

Not an unpopular take though. the big logo in the middle combined with the total lack of creativity in the actual colour design is very uninspiring right now.

9-12 and another year without finals.
10–12 now, which equals their best record so far.

Gold Coast have actually passed Footscray for the third-longest finals drought from entering the competition.

Footscray took until 1938 after joining in 1925, which is now the fourth-longest. Also joining the VFL in 1925, North Melbourne took until 1945 to reach the finals, and Hawthorn until 1957. North and Hawthorn actually would never have survived the Depression but for league and local government handouts, and it was clear by 1931 that Footscray was the only viable new team for the VFL.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keen to know from GC fans what role they think Rioli is playing next year.

Surely he's not replacing Flanders as the HBF option.
Flanders has been back to playing mid/half forward rotation since the bye. More likely he would take Lachie Weller's spot at half-back and Weller moves to the wing

Trading away first round picks for Rioli is Hardwicks apology to RFC for Taranto/Hopper
There is truth to the way he was allowed to operate in his last couple of seasons at the tigers, over riding the list manager on trade calls and playing old favourites while leaving younger players to rot in the vfl.

Dimma has similar if not greater power at GC. There’s no doubt if he wants Rioli and we demand the earth he will ensure the club do whatever to takes to get him.

There is truth to the way he was allowed to operate in his last couple of seasons at the tigers, over riding the list manager on trade calls and playing old favourites while leaving younger players to rot in the vfl.

Dimma has similar if not greater power at GC. There’s no doubt if he wants Rioli and we demand the earth he will ensure the club do whatever to takes to get him.
Clarkson last years at Hawks vibes

Clarkson last years at Hawks vibes
Possibly. But I do know for a fact the power Hardwick had in those last two years at Richmond made some unable to make decisions in their role like they were supposed to.

Personally I think Rioli would be amazing off HBF for the Suns.

I’m note sure they need much else personnel wise? Perhaps it’s just their commitment and ability to execute an effective game style. Easier said than done.

Nobody should feel any obligation to this team being good. Bouncing between the wooden spoon and no-mans land is fine by me. Why should anyone other than Gold Coast fans cheer for Andrew Demetriou's legacy?

Far more than any drafting and recruiting decisions, they kept Dew in the chair at least two seasons too long.

Look at Dew's win percentage and who's around him on the all-time list of coaches. Dew's 121 games coached for 30% winning record is ridiculously long next to 21st century coaches with a similar win percentage: Rhyce Shaw (29, 34%), Brendan McCartney (66, 30%), Matthew Primus (34, 28%), Brendon Bolton (82, 26%).

There's patience and there's backing a loser at the expense of your club and the Suns did the latter for at least 40 if not 60 games.

Last edited:

Also. Dusty is an absolute must.
I'm not sure how much it has to do with that, it may be a factor, but I see the same in Brisbane. Or even Port. They are just downhill skiiers in the regular season but just usually lack a certain killer instinct in big pressure games and finals when it gets tough. Could add Carlton and Essendon to that list but they're not contenders. All teams that routinely lose to Collingwood by under a goal.

This year is the first time in our history we have a coach that has any creditability
Takes time to undo damage from the past 10 years from the Dew and Eade years.
Players are too used to having their way in fear of them requesting trade back home.
Dew would never have the guts to drop the amount the amount of players that Hardwick has this year.

This year is the first time in our history we have a coach that has any creditability
Takes time to undo damage from the past 10 years from the Dew and Eade years.
Players are too used to having their way in fear of them requesting trade back home.
Dew would never have the guts to drop the amount the amount of players that Hardwick has this year.

Rubbish.

Guy McKenna was one of the highest rates assistants in the game and a great choice for the inaugral coach. If not for Ablett's shouler he would have taken this team to finals.

Rocket Eade was also very credible having taken multiple clubs to multiple finals campaigns.

Dew was a mistake. The Suns then doubled down to avoid a revolving door and kept him longer than needed.

Hardwick comes in with premiership credentials BUT also a hugely level of skepticism given the way he arrived at the club. More than a few would say he's a mercenary taking an irresitable payday and that he doesn't have any real desire to succeed. He will present the public face as needed but ultimately he's only in it for the money.

IMO the two biggest factors that limit the Suns are the kit/brand and the plethora of top end draftees.

Change the kit. Put in something more traditional. There's heaps of options out there to be inspired by.

Stop loading up with highly skilled top 10 picks. You need some late picks and rookies. Guys on second chances, desperate to succeed. More Ben Long types that will bust arse for the jumper rather than super talents juniors who haven't had to fight for their spot.

The Suns should be going after the likes of Baker and Graham, not Rioli. I appreciate the 'go home' factor with the first two names but that's the type of player they need more of I rekon.

So we end up winning 7 games out of 9 at Carrara, and 4 games away (2 in darwin and 1 each at mcg and marvel) for 11 wins all up. Our best win-loss record in history.
And so could have easily won 2-3 more if not for brain farts.
We are close. Another pre-season of strategy, fitness and strength work plus a few mature age recruits and draft some locals.
Lets see where we are in a years time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back