• Yep, GTFO

Votes: 129 63.9%
  • Nah, gun. Keep him in.

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Send him to the SANFL to find form

Votes: 61 30.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

After all these years though, I’ve finally understood the “logic” behind his continued selection.

The club has banged on about elite standards for so long. And obviously the one area Mackay is elite at is training / preparation. I imagine he is the guy that’s first to the club in the morning and last to leave at night. Gives 100% effort on the training track. Eats healthier than anyone else.

These are all admirable things but they just don’t compensate for the fact that he just isn’t physically skilled enough to be good.

The club has continually painted itself into a corner by sprouting a requirement for elite standards. In order to send a message to the younger players, they feel compelled to play Mackay because he epitomises those standards. Regardless of being a shite footballer!

After all these years though, I’ve finally understood the “logic” behind his continued selection.

The club has banged on about elite standards for so long. And obviously the one area Mackay is elite at is training / preparation. I imagine he is the guy that’s first to the club in the morning and last to leave at night. Gives 100% effort on the training track. Eats healthier than anyone else.

These are all admirable things but they just don’t compensate for the fact that he just isn’t physically skilled enough to be good.

The club has continually painted itself into a corner by sprouting a requirement for elite standards. In order to send a message to the younger players, they feel compelled to play Mackay because he epitomises those standards. Regardless of being a sh*te footballer!
To be fair he had some very good games this year so he is a good 22nd player in a team aiming to play finals but not when we are rebuilding, he should playing in the SANFL and helping the younger players as there isn't enough experience players in our reserve side right now.

Lol. It was not a difficult handball to take hold of. Sure it could have been perfect to his chest if the Collingwood player wasn’t in front of Jones.

It was a classic Mackay fumble. I’d back 80-90% of players to take it.
Running backwards one way and the handball coming at your feet on the other side, that's certainly not easy to grab a hold of. If it was one of our love child players nothing would be said.

And I agree, he's played 150 games more than he should have but outside of the ball remaining in and the second effort, not much to look at.

Running backwards one way and the handball coming at your feet on the other side, that's certainly not easy to grab a hold of. If it was one of our love child players nothing would be said.

And I agree, he's played 150 games more than he would have but outside of the ball remaining in and the second effort, not much to look at.
He knows his limited skill, should have stopped running backward. Does he think he is Andrew McLeod?

It really need to be to the left of Mackay but instead it's ended up on his right and right down at his feet, really hard to expect Mackay to gather that cleanly.

Would like to see the footage just before as I half recall Jones running himself into trouble but if he didn't and that's all he could do, then I don't think we can fault Mackay too much for running backwards one way, the ball coming the other side at his ankles and not taking it cleanly.

Might not have been the easiest collect, but the game is full of those. And there's a difference between not collecting it and nearly falling over. And it's not like the line of travel deviated, it was really a rudimentary collect. If it was from a 50m kick, yeh, difficult. But it was an 8m handball FFS.

It really need to be to the left of Mackay but instead it's ended up on his right and right down at his feet, really hard to expect Mackay to gather that cleanly.

Would like to see the footage just before as I half recall Jones running himself into trouble but if he didn't and that's all he could do, then I don't think we can fault Mackay too much for running backwards one way, the ball coming the other side at his ankles and not taking it cleanly.

Also, left brings the player pressuring into more of the play and you don't want to miss inboard. Under pressure going along the boundary line to an experienced player is a no-brainer. Worst case is a fumble across the boundary line. It's impossible to blame Jones for Dmac literally falling over himself. But kudos to you, you've had a fair crack at it.

It couldn't be to the left of Mackay because of the opposition player

If he gets it on a platter under zero pressure he's fine, anything else he can't handle

But, by gum, he's a little trier though. I can handle lazy players doing shit things, but not guys that are selected solely because they give it their all. I remember banning a worker (not first ****up) from using the forklift after dropping a pallet of wine. He was very apologetic and after I told him of his banning, he said, "but I was being really careful". "Mate, if yountold me you were under the pump, rushing and wasn't being careful, I'd have something to work with. The fact that you ****ed up so badly whilst being careful is the issue." Ended up sacking him after a few receivers told me he was complaining about doing deliveries to the people he was delivering to. And then re-employed him when running another business when we were desperate for someone. I don't miss running a logistics based business in Alice Springs.

No one would run facing the other way as they lose their entire vision of what is around them. The fault is that the handball fell too short.

I would have expected most players to fumble that, the only difference is Mackay in his Mackayness managed to fumble it and keep it in play.

The handball was deliberately low to avoid the guy coming in at 90 degrees. It didn't fall short.

Lol. It was not a difficult handball to take hold of. Sure it could have been perfect to his chest if the Collingwood player wasn’t in front of Jones.

It was a classic Mackay fumble. I’d back 80-90% of players to take it.

Or at least not nearly fall over and end up with a stoppage or boundary throw in. It's nearly impossible to end up with the result that we did. And it wasn't Jones' decision or execution that caused it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair he had some very good games this year so he is a good 22nd player in a team aiming to play finals but not when we are rebuilding, he should playing in the SANFL and helping the younger players as there isn't enough experience players in our reserve side right now.

no he hasn't. He's been good once, passable once. crap every other game. We'll never go anywhere whilst we have a culture that selects him. It's been proven in the past and it will remain going forward.

no he hasn't. He's been good once, passable once. crap every other game. We'll never go anywhere whilst we have a culture that selects him. It's been proven in the past and it will remain going forward.
He was good against GWS and Melbourne and had reasonable games against the Tigers, Eagle and Sydney, the R50 tell me he played in the defence for most of the season and not on the wing but seem to be playing forward more in the last few weeks. Given yesterday's game he should be dropped on form.

1622964221816.png

He was good against GWS and Melbourne and had reasonable games against the Tigers, Eagle and Sydney, the R50 tell me he played in the defence for most of the season and not on the wing but seem to be playing forward more in the last few weeks. Given yesterday's game he should be dropped on form.

View attachment 1148406

That's a terribly low bar you're setting for a +80% TOG midfielder. The stats themselves are totally embarrassing, let alone his actual impact with such paucity. I really don't understand why you'd post those numbers in support of your argument that he's been better than ok in more than 2 games. You really need to learn a bit about footy.

That's a terribly low bar you're setting for a +80% TOG midfielder. The stats themselves are totally embarrassing, let alone his actual impact with such paucity. I really don't understand why you'd post those numbers in support of your argument that he's been better than ok in more than 2 games. You really need to learn a bit about footy.
He wasn't playing as a midfielder which is why I told you he was playing in defence with those R50 numbers but only recently moved to play forward and again not in the midfield. I looked them up because I remember he played more than 1 good and 1 passable game like you said, maybe you really need to learn a bit about footy because you seem to lack understanding of the position MacKay has been playing and Sholl wasn't pushed out for MacKay since he's been in the side since round 7.

He wasn't playing as a midfielder which is why I told you he was playing in defence with those R50 numbers but only recently moved to play forward and again not in the midfield. I looked them up because I remember he played more than 1 good and 1 passable game like you said, maybe you really need to learn a bit about footy because you seem to lack understanding of the position MacKay has been playing and Sholl wasn't pushed out for MacKay since he's been in the side since round 7.

He's been playing wing for weeks. And nobody has suggested Sholl has been pushed out of the side. Are you drunk?

Might not have been the easiest collect, but the game is full of those. And there's a difference between not collecting it and nearly falling over. And it's not like the line of travel deviated, it was really a rudimentary collect. If it was from a 50m kick, yeh, difficult. But it was an 8m handball FFS.
Even 50m kicks to his chest have been known to knock the little fella over though.

Wow.

Watch the last 3 games again.

Mackay starts every centre bounce on the wing.

Wow.

Watch the last 3 games again.

Mackay starts every centre bounce on the wing.
What? My comment was we didn't push Sholl out to play MacKay like he said we did because MacKay was already in the side since round 7playing in defence for most the season and apologies I meant moved him to play in the wing recently and not forward.

Last edited:
Back