Golf Golf Course rankings, and general golf course chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldnt mind playing comps, but not sure if like other sports they have comps for different abilities/grades. Happy to play with others around my level, but would be embarrassed playing comps against single digit guys, even with handicap advantage it's just not the same.

"Juss has won today's comp with a cracking 106 off the stick, he beat out ScrappyCoCo who couldn't get it done with his 77"
Golf has a handicap system. Everyone is testing their ability to par. How you play to your own handicap is all your playing against. You can easily win with 106 if you have a 28 handicap. Good golf requires consistency and a home course gives you that.

Golf has a handicap system. Everyone is testing their ability to par. How you play to your own handicap is all your playing against. You can easily win with 106 if you have a 28 handicap. Good golf requires consistency and a home course gives you that.
78 not winning many comps

106 - 28

Unless SFord and there is 3 holes all 10s 😀

I love playing comps
Every round I play, no matter where it is I try to play in a comp. I don’t know just don’t get the same enjoyment just having a social hit.
I’ve also played with a few guys who are a bit loose with the rules and if playing in a comp you can call them out on it. It definitely improves Golf etiquette by playing in comps.

Dones the Sth Mornington Peninsula have the best collection of golf courses in Australia? If not, the World.
Portsea
Sorrento
The Dunes x 1.5
St Andrews Beach
Moonah x 2
Eagle Ridge
Rosebud CC x 2
National x 3
Cape Schank
Flinders

Thats 14.5 courses all within a 20 min drive of where I live, I think 10 in the top 100.
I feel blessed.

Like where you're going but to my mind a better list would be:

PKGC North
National Gunnamatta
PKGC South
St Andrews Beach
Frankston GC
National Moonah
The Dunes
Portsea

Some quality there across the board.

Sorry I could not include the "Seminole of Australia" (Eagle Ridge)!!

PKGC North
National Gunnamatta
PKGC South
St Andrews Beach
Frankston GC
National Moonah
The Dunes
Portsea

I see you’ve left off Old course. Fair enough.
Personally my fave course but understand it is not for everyone.

Pk is just a joy

PKGC North
National Gunnamatta
PKGC South
St Andrews Beach
Frankston GC
National Moonah
The Dunes
Portsea

Yeah i was talking about the Southern Peninsula, hence i didn't include the Franga courses.
I'm with you on Eagle Ridge, can't stand it, but some seem to love it.

10 Victoria
9. NSW
8. The National - Gunnamatta
7. Royal Melbourne - East
6. Peninsula Kingswood CGC - North
5. Kingston Heath
4. Lost Farm
3. Barnbougle Dunes
2. Cape Wickham Links
1. Royal Melbourne - West

Anyone got an opinion on a good golf club to join, preferably in Melbourne's north? eg. Have been looking at Heidelberg, Eastern, Northern, etc but I know very little about each course and membership profiles etc.

Anyone got an opinion on a good golf club to join, preferably in Melbourne's north? eg. Have been looking at Heidelberg, Eastern, Northern, etc but I know very little about each course and membership profiles etc.

Eastern is fairly east!

Rosanna was a good option a while back (they were doing a lot of improvements under Ogilvy Clayton at the time) but I'm not sure how they have been going in recent years. They have a series of different membership offerings and the course is at least decent.

They have reciprocal deals with other courses in that area as well.

I'd keep clear of somewhere like Yering Meadows. I'm not much of a fan of Latrobe either (miles too many trees which impacts the experience).

Played a golf weekend at Tocumwal on the weekend.

There are two courses there - the Presidents and Captains. Of these the Presidents is the better. The Captains is quite long with a large number of holes seemingly playing the same/asking for the same type shot on repeat.

Given how many golf trips these places must get it's quite frustrating the courses aren't better. The Presidents in particular would be infinitely improved with some very basic tree removal with some howlers on the inside of doglegs. Presumably like most however they are terrified of making the courses "easier".

Played a golf weekend at Tocumwal on the weekend.

There are two courses there - the Presidents and Captains. Of these the Presidents is the better. The Captains is quite long with a large number of holes seemingly playing the same/asking for the same type shot on repeat.

Given how many golf trips these places must get it's quite frustrating the courses aren't better. The Presidents in particular would be infinitely improved with some very basic tree removal with some howlers on the inside of doglegs. Presumably like most however they are terrified of making the courses "easier".
R. Hobart has undergone a huge tree and bunker removal. We have a feature in an upcoming golf magazine so it will be interesting to read. Likely positive of course, but still. The club is trying to get the course back to what it is originally designed to look like before someone in the 60's planted trees everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R. Hobart has undergone a huge tree and bunker removal. We have a feature in an upcoming golf magazine so it will be interesting to read. Likely positive of course, but still. The club is trying to get the course back to what it is originally designed to look like before someone in the 60's planted trees everywhere.
Great stuff Bicco.

I wish more country courses had access to some basic architectural advice to allow them to make simple incremental improvements to their facilities. Good to see RH is on the right track.

Heidelberg.

More interesting than Rosanna and has reciprocal rights to Rosanna, La Trobe, Kew, Green Acres and Eastern.

No joining fee either.

Heidelberg.

More interesting than Rosanna and has reciprocal rights to Rosanna, La Trobe, Kew, Green Acres and Eastern.

No joining fee either.
la trobe, kew and green acres should merge and become a super club!

also, theres an eastern, southern and northern. no western?!

Australian Golf Digest Top 25 (@ Apr 2022)

1. RM West
2. Kingston Heath
3. Cape Wickham
4. Barnbougle
5. PK North
6. New South Wales
7. Lost Farm
8. RM East
9. Victoria
10. Royal Adelaide
11. National Moonah
12. Metropolitan
13. Ocean Dunes
14. Cathedral Lodge
15. National Gunnamattta
16. PK South
17. Lake Karrinyup
18. The Lakes
19. National Old
20. Kooyonga
21. Joondalup (Quarry/Dune)
22. Woodlands
23. Barwon Heads
24. The Dunes
25. St Andrews Beach

l

1. RM West
2. Kingston Heath
3. Cape Wickham
4. Barnbougle
5. PK North
6. New South Wales
7. Lost Farm
8. RM East
9. Victoria
10. Royal Adelaide
11. National Moonah
12. Metropolitan
13. Ocean Dunes
14. Cathedral Lodge
15. National Gunnamattta
16. PK South
17. Lake Karrinyup
18. The Lakes
19. National Old
20. Kooyonga
22. Woodlands
23. Barwon Heads
24. The Dunes
25. St Andrews Beach
link?

1. RM West
2. Kingston Heath
3. Cape Wickham
4. Barnbougle
5. PK North
6. New South Wales
7. Lost Farm
8. RM East
9. Victoria
10. Royal Adelaide
11. National Moonah
12. Metropolitan
13. Ocean Dunes
14. Cathedral Lodge
15. National Gunnamattta
16. PK South
17. Lake Karrinyup
18. The Lakes
19. National Old
20. Kooyonga
22. Woodlands
23. Barwon Heads
24. The Dunes
25. St Andrews Beach
Golf Australia Magazine much more in line with my opinions.

I love NSW don't get me wrong but seriously above Lost Farm?

National Moonah above Gunnamatta a bit of a head scratcher too but many would disagree with me there.

Golf Australia Magazine much more in line with my opinions.

I love NSW don't get me wrong but seriously above Lost Farm?

National Moonah above Gunnamatta a bit of a head scratcher too but many would disagree with me there.

I feel old is the best course of ours. But I can see why it’s not rated so. So all things equal Moonah would be an acceptable top ranking course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Golf Golf Course rankings, and general golf course chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back