Good bye top four goodbye season...

Remove this Banner Ad

What a idiot.
If we play like that yesterday then yes. If we play like we did in the first four rounds then we will win against all the usual suspects and then go close or win (if any team has had the prior 4 weeks that we have just had we will beat them).
I'm not saying there arn't problems but you people are overreacting. Take the whole year in context not just one half of footy.

or how about we go one step further and take the last couple of years in context....we will see the same reoccuring trend. So before you start hurling abuse, your word isnt exactly gospel either.

HAHA! under clarko you would see dunstall kicking to platten!! :D:D :eek:

hahahaha...pisser...you would have Dunstall playing HBF / midfield...

Clarko needs to stop trying to get ideas from other sports...all he needs to do is watch one of Geelong's games and see how they play their forward structure...

hahahaha...pisser...you would have Dunstall playing HBF / midfield...

Clarko needs to stop trying to get ideas from other sports...all he needs to do is watch one of Geelong's games and see how they play their forward structure...

Clarko has no idea what his doing anymore, Geelong has Hawkins and Pods, Collingwood had Dawes and Cloke. And once upon a time we had Roughead/Franklin. Why doesnt he bring that back, that excellent forward structure we had, I used to remmeber in 2008 as soon the ball when in our 50, it was danger for the other team. Clarko better pull his socks up, otherwise he will go at the end of the year

I had a rant in the autopsy thread. Not going to have another one. We have had a tough start and it showed on Sunday. The boys looked spent. They played the first quarter like millionaires and then fell away badly. If I recall the thread when the draw came out posters suggested we could drop this game. It goes with the territory. Despite being 2-2 before the Swans game we have been 'up' for four gruelling weeks and with a few more things going our way could have been 4-0. I really hope this was just a a small mental and physical let-down.

Look at the Cats after our game they got pumped by North. The following week North got belted by Sydney as well and they struggled to shake Gold Coast on the weekend.

Hope the boys are given time to freshen up this week as the next few weeks will be challenging as well.

it's just round five, we have talented players, the draw has been difficult, we'll be right once our entire list is uninjured ... wake up, people! we are going backwards! the passage of time and progression of rounds is no guarantee that we will make up the ground we have lost.

seriously, it should be panic stations around the hawks battle room, right now. time to re-evaluate every plan and every player...

Our biggest mistake was not recruiting Joel Selwood when we had the chance.We got Burgoyne across but although he has played some really good games ,he is never going to be that "x-factor",the missing link that is going to get us across the line in a GF as many would've hoped.We've got to face facts that our so-called best 22 at the moment have some deepseeded bad qualities that result in them capitulating far too often.That can't be rectified with a movie and a good talking to.We need to axe ruthlessly until we find a combination with the right amount of hunger to win our 11th flag.There are some worrying signs with our so-called superstars.They frequently keep failing to deliver in big games.As for the game plan ,it is what it is, AFL 2012 style, checkout the ANZAC day clash ,how many times did Essendon win the ball in the midfield only to have no one to kick it to in their forwardline.

Beaten by a better, more determined side, again.

Worrying signs.

This is what worries me the most. We all know the Hawks are good enough to beat anyone on their day, but that Swans game, we were miles away from Sydney in the 2nd half.

Could it just be that the first 4 rounds were so taxing that it caught up to the team?

This is what worries me the most. We all know the Hawks are good enough to beat anyone on their day, but that Swans game, we were miles away from Sydney in the 2nd half.

Could it just be that the first 4 rounds were so taxing that it caught up to the team?

Reckon there's probably a fair bit of truth to it.
As mentioned, the cats were rolled by North after out tough encounter.
And last week we had a tough, wet match against a strong Eagles side all the way over in Perth, and while the Eagles managed to win their match, they were taken all the way by Richmond who are a class below which I think shows the game was taxing on both teams. Players legs are usually pretty heavy after a wet match and it can take an extra day or two to recover.

The reality of it is and i have been saying this for few years now is that we are a mentaly fragile team and forget all about 08 that is history now and what we have achneived since then is nothing but heart ache...
I couldn't agree more macdaddio. :thumbsu:

2008 has been the players' and coach's undoing.
They got ahead of themselves and began believing what the journos were writing about them. Egos swelled to match reputations.

As a club, our hunger for success has been pitiful ever since. "Its okay, we almost got there but lost to a better team" has basically become our mantra.

Angry Clarkson has been replaced with Thoughtful Clarkson. Unsociable Football has been replaced with Precision Football. (no surprise which holds up better under pressure)

Deep down I have a really really bad feeling that further success (and premierships are the ONLY kind of success that matter) will be impossible with this current crop of players because they're simply too self satisfied to give that extra 1% needed to get past a team like Geelong.

Speaking of Geelong, there couldn't be a bigger gap between how the two clubs have handled their success in recent years. I don't know how the Handbaggers managed it but they've managed to keep their feet on the ground and maintain their hunger.
We've let success go to our heads and most of our 2008 premiership players have gone backwards, those that are even still in the side. Eerie parallels to the "baby bombers", the dangers of success coming too early before the kids know how to cope with it....

I couldn't agree more macdaddio. :thumbsu:

2008 has been the players' and coach's undoing.
They got ahead of themselves and began believing what the journos were writing about them. Egos swelled to match reputations.

As a club, our hunger for success has been pitiful ever since. "Its okay, we almost got there but lost to a better team" has basically become our mantra.

Angry Clarkson has been replaced with Thoughtful Clarkson. Unsociable Football has been replaced with Precision Football. (no surprise which holds up better under pressure)

Deep down I have a really really bad feeling that further success (and premierships are the ONLY kind of success that matter) will be impossible with this current crop of players because they're simply too self satisfied to give that extra 1% needed to get past a team like Geelong.

Speaking of Geelong, there couldn't be a bigger gap between how the two clubs have handled their success in recent years. I don't know how the Handbaggers managed it but they've managed to keep their feet on the ground and maintain their hunger.
We've let success go to our heads and most of our 2008 premiership players have gone backwards, those that are even still in the side. Eerie parallels to the "baby bombers", the dangers of success coming too early before the kids know how to cope with it....

Absolutely in a nutshell. Its the whole "Nearly is good enough" attitude.

And PLEASE, some of you saying that we may be a little tired, cmon turn it up its Rd 5, hate to see our effort at rd 15 if we are already spent.

If, and geez its a massive if, but if we get into the top 4 this year, then I will stand up and applause. But after Rd 5 and the crap they showed on the weekend, then, well, what do you say....?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good bye top four goodbye season...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back