Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think there's a person who wouldn't.

I think there may be one.

Clap Applause GIF by Adelaide Crows

My Monday morning prayer..
Comedy Pray GIF by Beauty and the Geek Australia

Dear lord 😉, please bring Pedlar in for Crouch, seeing you have blessed us with a one match suspension and clearly removed obstacles that Nicks could not do himself, please just play Luke as a pure midfielder and stop Nicks from hurting his career any further. While we are praying can Billy Dowling get a spot in our team instead of McHenry as Ned must surely find a place in AFL purgatory..
Thanks Big Guy
Ps... how about giving our number one draft pick a good run, like maybe at least 10 games to find his feet. Butts also needs a rest and I suspect he's falling apart, so speedy healing to Muzza

20 seconds around the ground went out with button up boots, ump gives them the hurry up after 5s and calls play on after 7secs.

Keays took the mark at 23s, took awhile to get up, ump was giving him the hurry up as he moved back off the mark.
Ump called play on and Keays kicked it at 13s - he did the absolute best anyone could have done.

As the other poster said the issue was down the ground, ball should have been spoiled over the line.

But Nicks hasn't drilled our team for these scenarios.
Yeah...at the game I didn't notice he was called to play on...seems they always call us to play on extremely quickly....

I actually think he’s got a similar potential to Soligo. They’re both the live-wire types who can defend and attack, hard at it with some neat skills.
He’s some funny chance to play in midfield in the near future if he can build on his engine.
I’m starting to wonder if our coaches actually watch the sanfl replays at all. Blind Freddy could see that Nank is a unique talent by watching a few of our sanfl games but he was overlooked for waaay too long.

I’m starting to wonder if our coaches actually watch the sanfl replays at all. Blind Freddy could see that Nank is a unique talent by watching a few of our sanfl games but he was overlooked for waaay too long.
It’s a real concern how long they’ve kept him out, whilst persisting with the likes of Ned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what my issue with the coaching panel is. The necessary changes feel forced and are a last resort.

This game showcased all the changes we have been calling for, and how we can play if structured up differently.
This!

Saturday night's game plan and midfield-rotation mixes were (finally!) very different from what Nicks rolled out in the 0-4 shemozzles.
I'm not going to praise Nicks for trying something that worked well 5 games into the season. He's well-paid to come up with something that works from Round One.
Someone said something. Someone (or several people) finally got through to him, enough for him to say "OK, we'll give that a go".
Your "last resort" call shows a Head Coach bereft of ideas, trying something different in desperation.

What a load of horseshit.

So.. What are you saying?.. that the other three blokes that jumped up off the bench to celebrate did so because they weren't stuffed and hadn't been giving their all so they had the energy to do so?

Laird barely even claps.. and its clear its cause he’s sulking about the fact he’s been dragged to the bench at a crucial time in the game and his replacement just kicked the winner. Stop fxxkn excusing this s**t.

The lengths some in here go to support their little favourites is just pathetic..

He’s a poorly skilled, panic merchant that has bulit a s**t career based on making sure he gets 30+ possessions a game.. thats his KPI.. what he does with those 30+ possessions doesnt matter to him. He couldn't care less if they actually damage the opposition.

A complete hack..

Should be dropped.

Along with his mate Smith..
That's complete speculation. He may have been just nervous like the rest of us.

-Ball movement, when we move it quick we are a completely different side. It takes the entire team to do this, hopefully we click from now on.
-Soligo, since is first couple of games everyone has been on board with this guy, just a continual, linear improvement from a winger having a good game now and then to someone who absolutely damages opposition... how did he go pick 36?
-Jones should make a huge mistake every week, as soon as he fresh aired that ball which cost us a goal he got stuck in and was great across the wing and HB.
-16.4 and missed 4 set shots (2 were easy, 1 was gettable)
- Rankine and Soligo should be the only ones disposing of the ball from centre bounce, huge difference compared to Laird bombing the ball to half forward.

-I don't mind our players getting done for HTB taking the game on, its breeds the ability to think better under pressure.

-We got exposed by a side with 2 dominant key forwards, probably our weakness. Not many sides have that though (Brisbane comes to mind).

-Nankervis has something, he sort of gets the ball and has that turn out of trouble thing where nobody goes near him.

-Fogarty is off a cliff career wise. Spends so much time trying to wrestle that he just exposes himself to any small defender coming over the top, not sure what the solution is, perhaps staying down and trying to play more like a smaller forward?

We have the opportunity to be 3-4 after round 7 but being Essingtons female dogs its hard to feel super confident.

Watching the replay and Laird looks soooo much better coming off half back. Reads the play well and he is good at spotting up short 15-20m kicks that keep our ball movement flowing (even pushing up to the next play and getting involved in a handball chain). There is a reason he won AA selection there, it's his best position.

Watching the replay and Laird looks soooo much better coming off half back. Reads the play well and he is good at spotting up short 15-20m kicks that keep our ball movement flowing (even pushing up to the next play and getting involved in a handball chain). There is a reason he won AA selection there, it's his best position.
He also hit a picture perfect I50 to Tex over a Carlton player's head when he had a bit of space outside the contest, IIRC.

-Ball movement, when we move it quick we are a completely different side. It takes the entire team to do this, hopefully we click from now on.
-Soligo, since is first couple of games everyone has been on board with this guy, just a continual, linear improvement from a winger having a good game now and then to someone who absolutely damages opposition... how did he go pick 36?
-Jones should make a huge mistake every week, as soon as he fresh aired that ball which cost us a goal he got stuck in and was great across the wing and HB.
-16.4 and missed 4 set shots (2 were easy, 1 was gettable)
- Rankine and Soligo should be the only ones disposing of the ball from centre bounce, huge difference compared to Laird bombing the ball to half forward.

-I don't mind our players getting done for HTB taking the game on, its breeds the ability to think better under pressure.

-We got exposed by a side with 2 dominant key forwards, probably our weakness. Not many sides have that though (Brisbane comes to mind).

-Nankervis has something, he sort of gets the ball and has that turn out of trouble thing where nobody goes near him.

-Fogarty is off a cliff career wise. Spends so much time trying to wrestle that he just exposes himself to any small defender coming over the top, not sure what the solution is, perhaps staying down and trying to play more like a smaller forward?

We have the opportunity to be 3-4 after round 7 but being Essingtons female dogs its hard to feel super confident.
Ahhhhhh, Dawson? Out of form, but still easily our best kick.

I wish that was the case, but no. McHenry's not that smart.

The high mis-kick from Tex goes wide to the pocket; 2 Carlton players get confused, yours/mine/yours and an easy defensive mark is spilled.
McHenry runs in late from the left and does his usual huff-n-puff expecting the Carlton player to mark and runs into him.
View attachment 1960008

The ball has spilled, but that's nothing to do with McHenry. Fog is on the R, but McHenry cannot see him:

View attachment 1960009

The ball bounces up to Fog's R hand. McHenry's momentum has taken him into the Carlton player, to whom McHenry gives a belated 2-handed half-push, but it's an afterthought because Fog all ready has the ball and is off.

View attachment 1960012

At full-speed and slowed down (AFL replay) it's clear that McHenry sees Fog after the ball has spilled (as McHenry gets there) and bounced up (after McHenry runs into the Carlton defender).

I had big hopes for McHenry but they evaporated last year.
Yea, I was watching that live thinking people might give McHenry credit for it being a smart play by him, but it was mostly just headless chook stuff running into a contest with no real plans on what he was doing.

Ahhhhhh, Dawson? Out of form, but still easily our best kick.
If I had a CBA with Dawson, Laird and Berry then yes. If it was Rankine, Soligo and Dawson.... Id take the first 2, not that Dawson is in any way bad but he is a better long kick IMO.

Watching the replay, one thing I noticed a lot more the second time was that Smith was very good in the last 10 minutes with the game on the line. Was able to win a few contested balls and drive the ball forward, and helped get us past the dominance Carlton had early in the quarter. After Rankine, Berry and Crouch he was a key part of us being able to get over the line at the end there.
I made notes on my phone as I watched the game live:
"Smith invisible until just before half-time, wide miss for goal".
"3rd 1/4, Smith 13.42 htb awful, slow, no awareness, Carlton goal" = a goal not kicked + an easy goal conceded,
BUT
I watched the last 10.10 on AFL replay (about 15 minutes playing time) at the end of the game, to see if I could see what you saw on replay.
OK, so ...
Until 8.54 to play, Smith unsighted, Curnow kicks goal to put Carlton 16 points up, 97-81.
8.27 Laird handballs to Smith who is under pressure from behind immediately but handballs out to Hamill.
2.42 Smith takes ball on the run off-hands, handballs toward Michalanney but handball is dud, only makes it halfway, but Smith follows up, takes possession again and handballs to Hinge.
1.49, clearance from Michalanney after Carlton player flubs checkside kick for goal and Smith shows terrific awareness to tap the live ball onto Berry (? looks like).
1.19 Berry goal puts us ahead by 2, final score.
[btw, producer cuts to Adelaide bench where it's obvious that Laird although sitting is clearly applauding the goal which is as animated as undemonstrative Laird ever gets. For other posters to say that Laird did not celebrate that goal is just plain wrong. Compared to Laird, a pigeon roosting is beside itself :sneaky:]

Smith had no kicks and 3 handballs, one to nowhere, and that clever tap-on in the last 10.10 of the final quarter.
Useful, yes, but did he "win a few contested balls and drive the ball forward"?
1713143928679.png

Good and needed win after a month where our outside midfield - in particular - was horrifically out of form. That came back in a big way this week.

Also good to see us finally get rid of that nonsense of using Rankine as a 11-30% CBA midfielder. It really does need to be 45-60% for it to work effectively. Equally, it's nice to see a midfielder avoid the third year blues as Soglio seems to have done.

Now to hit the Bombers and Roos, and if we can win both, a record 3-4 coming into the showdown against a team we matched up well against last year in Port looks to be a pretty tasty match up for the AFL purist.

It's more a case that what someone does in the SANFL doesn't matter at all when it comes to forcing selection - it's about making sure that player is the next man up when something does goes wrong. If a sector is working well, changes aren't going to happen, and our outside midfield/half back flankers was lights out in 2023 which stopped Nank from forcing his way in. If a sector is going poorly, there is a chance depending on who is present and where they sit in the pecking order. A Fog will be given a long leash to sort their shit out. A Burgess, not so. It's also why the optimal number of best 22 injuries isn't 0 for a side as it forces some level of change.

That said, in a different world where we didn't have McAdam, Nank may have picked up another 5 or so games when Jones got hit with the Lisfranc stick. However, we had McAdam and he was good enough of a player to force a structural change instead of us running an extra outside midfielder. The next man up (Nank/Cook) loses out, until something goes wrong (right now an LTI to Milera) and the pathway clears up, and now Nank has an opportunity to lock down a best 22 spot. When you're seen as a mid-tier player or prospect, the game is to keep grinding away in the twos, wait until something goes wrong and then when you get that opportunity, make sure you play well enough to rip that best 22 spot away from the incumbent - and if nothing goes wrong for an extended period, go to another club.

You can't play everyone after all, and playing someone far from the roles they've been trained for is just setting them up for failure. Equally, you do have to commit to players being mainstays in a best 22 if you want to be an active participant in September.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back