Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

another development year.

2020 - development year
2021 - development year
2022 - development year
2023 - screw development, finals or bust
2024 - finals or bust, oh wait...........development year.

I think I see a problem.
Great post.

Puts the 'wry' into 'the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry'. :sneaky:
Except our mouse seems to have no 'plan' :expressionless:.

Btw, 2020: bottom-out year. NO development.

So Rankine had 20 CBA, 23 disposals, 3 goals and 453m gained

Have we had a better midfield performance since the rebuild started?
Imagine if he'd have kicked straight, he might have got all 6 Brownlow votes for the match. Him and Soligo in at CBAs made for much more composed F50 entries.

I mean, I am still haunted by the CBAs of Sloane Laird and Crouch, that was a joy to watch, I re-watched the game again today, focusing on the second half in particular that I missed most of on game day, even given Rob was the ruck, we did really well.

Not exactly. He talked a lot about 'balance', and the line was 'shape off ball'. Here's the quote, in the context of a question about forward connection and how much they 'got it right' compared to previous weeks.

At other times he did say the ability to move the ball quickly was important, just that it wasn't about going fast all the time etc. Most of the other answers were about teamwork and connection, usual coach stuff.
That from Nicks almost sounds like

We did vs Carlton what we did vs Melbourne, difference being Melbourne are a better team.

I see it as more of a gradual change they've been working towards. Laird and Crouch have been spending less time in the middle collectively, attending fewer CBAs and spending more time on the bench or pinch-hitting in other roles, while Soligo has had more midfield time each week up until the Melbourne game where he was in there as much as anyone.

Obviously no argument on things changing, they have changed dramatically. I just don't think it was a sudden shift this week.
Sanders is right. This:
  1. Jake Soligo - 22
  2. Izak Rankine - 20
  3. Crouch - 18
  4. Dawson - 16
  5. Laird - 16
is a radical change, not gradual.
If Nicks was making subtle changes as you suggest, he had a full pre-season to do that and start Round One with the numbers above.
Not Round Five.

Is it better late than never? Well, yes, but a 0-4 start on the back of Nicks' ridiculous defensive chip-chip game was a massive shatshow.

Agree.
Pedlar is the missing link for now but until something improves with him, he's destined for the magoos for a while.
With Crouch rubbed out this week, and a home game, surely we roll the dice on a debutante. Charlie Edwards would add to our exciting youth. Play him in the guts and just let him run.
Pedlar was playing a role not suited to him to start this year.
He is one of our best clearance winners last year in CBA (Around the ground he struggled, but was nearly unbeatable in the middle) and he's dangerous up forward and reliable for 1-2 goals a game (as long as he's not playing a stopping role)

I want him back, but I want him playing with the freedom of last year.

Truth Or Dare Wow GIF by Step

Don’t be coy now, full feedback was given in the outcome notice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great get for a pre season draft selection
Didn't we take him in the pre-season draft because we didn't think he'd last to our rookie draft selection? (Collingwood rumours or something)

Imagine if he'd have kicked straight, he might have got all 6 Brownlow votes for the match. Him and Soligo in at CBAs made for much more composed F50 entries.

I mean, I am still haunted by the CBAs of Sloane Laird and Crouch, that was a joy to watch, I re-watched the game again today, focusing on the second half in particular that I missed most of on game day, even given Rob was the ruck, we did really well.
I liked Soligo's clearance in the third quarter where he lowered the eyes and hit Tex which led to Dawson's goal. Less than a minute later Laird gets a clearance in the same spot but bombs it and turns it over, only for Carlton to rebound it and score a goal. Not long after, Crouch was streaming forward in the same spot and he also turned it straight over.

Chalk and cheese.

He looked deflated at the training run on Friday as well. Might be reading too much into it, but doesn’t seem to like less time in the mid. Started the game in the goal square and I thought ah yes something is on here.
He looks deflated because he knows inside his best position to serve the club is half back or even back pocket, however his ego says no, I wanted to see Laird in the midfield years ago, he's done his job, now it's time to pass the torch on IMO

Nank is a really interesting player. Very balanced and a natural footballer. Skills are neat. He's tough and strong over the footy. Good size. That's a pretty high ceiling.
I actually think he’s got a similar potential to Soligo. They’re both the live-wire types who can defend and attack, hard at it with some neat skills.
He’s some funny chance to play in midfield in the near future if he can build on his engine.

Sandy, you can't take me out to dinner and then drop me like this. Don't make me take you out of the Jake Soligo Fan Club.

If you’re being taken in by imposters, that’s not something we here at the Entourage can concern ourselves with.

Like the fireman, you’ll just have to wait for another round of applications to open up.

Might be awhile though, just sit tight

McHenry bumping the player of the ball for Fogarty to spot up someone in the middle was great too.
I wish that was the case, but no. McHenry's not that smart.

The high mis-kick from Tex goes wide to the pocket; 2 Carlton players get confused, yours/mine/yours and an easy defensive mark is spilled.
McHenry runs in late from the left and does his usual huff-n-puff expecting the Carlton player to mark and runs into him.
1713102085719.png

The ball has spilled, but that's nothing to do with McHenry. Fog is on the R, but McHenry cannot see him:

1713102134611.png

The ball bounces up to Fog's R hand. McHenry's momentum has taken him into the Carlton player, to whom McHenry gives a belated 2-handed half-push, but it's an afterthought because Fog all ready has the ball and is off.

1713102605679.png

At full-speed and slowed down (AFL replay) it's clear that McHenry sees Fog after the ball has spilled (as McHenry gets there) and bounced up (after McHenry runs into the Carlton defender).

I had big hopes for McHenry but they evaporated last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back