Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

The Geelong League. No player payments and I’m sure they would get
Some form of sponsorship to cover other costs.
Hampton league have pulled the pin tonight as well. 16 leagues within Victoria have now pulled the plug on season 2020. When do we move on and reset for season 2021. By all means play round robins, hybrid comps etc, but their has to come a time when enough is enough. We all love the game and want it back, but need to make sure every side we have currently is able to come back in 2021. If some leagues get up and a mass of players leave a league, how do you get them back. Some clubs will never be able to come back from that

Is that half the leagues in the state?

Hampton league have pulled the pin tonight as well. 16 leagues within Victoria have now pulled the plug on season 2020. When do we move on and reset for season 2021. By all means play round robins, hybrid comps etc, but that has to come a time when enough is enough.

Hampton league have pulled the pin tonight as well. 16 leagues within Victoria have now pulled the plug on season 2020. When do we move on and reset for season 2021. By all means play round robins, hybrid comps etc, but their has to come a time when enough is enough. We all love the game and want it back, but need to make sure every side we have currently is able to come back in 2021. If some leagues get up and a mass of players leave a league, how do you get them back. Some clubs will never be able to come back from that

Great post,my feelings are the same.Lets get the kids out there,a far cheaper option and they are our future.

Last edited:
For any league who plays AFL Victoria must rule that the current points system remains. Salary caps will be all over the place but points will stop a mass exodus of mercenaries chasing money.

Will there be that much money though silver? I don't think any league that plays will go close to the max salary, AFL Vic need almost a permit system rather than clearances put in, where any player that goes from a league that's stopped to one that's playing so they are still aligned to this year's club.

If there's no country footy could there be a Vic country under 25s play in the vfl comp?
For any league who plays AFL Victoria must rule that the current points system remains. Salary caps will be all over the place but points will stop a mass exodus of mercenaries chasing money.

Sorry to sound like a broken record but if leagues that start up with clubs in debt or borderline risk those clubs going out of existence if the league plays.I also think there is a growing hope of a season but No.1 for me is the same number of clubs supposedly starting this season are back again at the start of 2021
The information I’ve seen or heard doesn’t support your theory of increased financial loss if clubs play .
What I have seen is the results of a survey pre any cuts to salary , based on half a season and all leaguesplaying representing a 5% gap / loss . Whilst I have heard that in this region clubs who don’t play are expecting a $15-$18k within a $200 k so 7.5% - 9 % loss .This loss also doesn’t include any loss that leagues may incur .
There is also the real potential that clubs in leagues who do start , now that others are opting out , will enjoy increased crowds.

There is also the increased threat of player loss , from not playing , and not just due to recruitment from other leagues but also loss of interest in playing the game .
Unlike metro this regions players numbers are fragile in top age juniors and also reserves , whilst similar applies within netball.

If some clubs in leagues lose players in these grades then they will not have enough numbers to field teams and if there is enough teams in this position within a league it will in-turn make those grades not viable within their league .

If leagues start loosing 3rds and reserves and similar in netball , all of their clubs financial sustainability not just for one season , but the remainder of their short lived existence is gone.

When a club or league loses a grade it is a very tough gig to regain it and there’s enough evidence that leagues who have lost these grades don’t exist for long.

I don’t think it’s any secret that the GVL in recent years has had clubs struggle with 3rds and reserve numbers and along with increasing financial strain it is a reason the league has rightfully IMO looked to introduce 4ths . Similarly u15 netball being introduced a couple of years ago .
It’s a similar situation in the KDL .

Clubs who now have to recruit players to fulfil these sides , including from local junior leagues in the case of thirds , are going to have to double that number in 2021 as well as deal with the new habits potential players will have adopted and loss on interest in the game. If they don’t play .

I can’t see how clubs can financially exist into 2021 and beyond , without 3rds and reserves and IMO it is a very highly likely outcome that whose who don’t play are going to endure and have to overcome .

The other point which I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned yet is most vulnerable in th GVL and local region is umpires who I believe were already looking to roll back what they could offer due to numbers . We may disagree with their decision making at times but if leagues don’t have a 2020 they are somewhat going to have to recruit all umpires .

I do also accept some players and umpires may opt out of being involved this year due to their fear of the disease .

Last edited:
Great post,my feelings are the same.Lets get the kids out there,a far cheaper option and they are our future.
I am a strong supporter for junior development and investing in youth however playing devils advocate .

In a rural community structure like the GVL , who has 1 side per age group and playing away means high amount of travel , junior football on its own may well cost less , but it’s all cost.
Go to the elite NAB cup game or a junior interleague training or game . Aside from parents , coaches , trainers and water carriers there is no one there . Often the amount of parents in attendance is based on the amount the designated parents can fit in their car.
The community spirit of rural community football which includes sitting around having a beer , taking the piss out of a well known opposition player, the umpires , encouraging some belt someone or reminiscing of years gone bye just doesn’t occur at junior games and rightfully so giving the era we live in . Nor does the discussion on crops, rainfall, milk prices , water prices , cattle / sheep prices , how families are going or who did what or with who last week on the booze , which occurs with multiple different people and comes from hours spent at the footy on Saturday .
We may not all agree with it all but it is the fabric which makes country footy what it is .
Junior football leagues who play at the one venue every week cater for the parents who simply see sport as a child care centre and where they can drop their kid off go get their coffee and stroll the local streets admiring the latest designer jeans whilst awaiting the text from their kid to go pick them up , it’s not what makes country community football / netball .
Then you have the repercussion when clubs don’t have a junior side and the potential impact on players whose interest in top age junior footy is heavily weighted by the wish and opportunity to play seniors.
Junior sport is of high importance and one well worth investing in , however in a stand alone format within community clubs like those that exist in this region IMO it would come with a very significant financial loss.

Last edited:
There is also the increased threat of player loss , from not playing , and not just due to recruitment from other leagues but also loss of interest in playing the game .
Unlike metro this regions players numbers are fragile in top age juniors and also reserves , whilst similar applies within netball.

I think this risk of this is also present though even if a season gets up. If some leagues do go ahead, there will be an influx of players into the league for certain. We have seen it start already in the Picola league. Then, as soon as one club goes down this path, others sin the league are forced to follow suit if they want to compete. Local clubs from what I have seen and for the most part have plenty of points room given the number of locals that they have playing in their sides. There is plenty of room for a car load of recruits in most instances. If this is the case, a car load comes from elsewhere to a club for this season, pushing the loyal, local fringe players out of the side for a quick tilt at a flag. The risk of losing theses players to the club and game is just as high, if not higher, in this scenario. Just my opinion but I think this scenario leaves a far more sour taste in the mouths of these players than having a year off due to a pandemic ever will, and it has the exact same result on the club in future years that you talk about in the post. Interesting debate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this risk of this is also present though even if a season gets up. If some leagues do go ahead, there will be an influx of players into the league for certain. We have seen it start already in the Picola league. Then, as soon as one club goes down this path, others sin the league are forced to follow suit if they want to compete. Local clubs from what I have seen and for the most part have plenty of points room given the number of locals that they have playing in their sides. There is plenty of room for a car load of recruits in most instances. If this is the case, a car load comes from elsewhere to a club for this season, pushing the loyal, local fringe players out of the side for a quick tilt at a flag. The risk of losing theses players to the club and game is just as high, if not higher, in this scenario. Just my opinion but I think this scenario leaves a far more sour taste in the mouths of these players than having a year off due to a pandemic ever will, and it has the exact same result on the club in future years that you talk about in the post. Interesting debate.
A car load of recruits who have previously had no association, for most clubs is going to come at a cost of 16-20 points . Given the season was suspended only 2-3 weeks before it was due to kickoff , I doubt many who were keen to get as many new players into their clubs as they can would have that much point space ?
Clubs who go ahead are likely to have greater access to players who have played with their club preciously ( if the players new club doesn’t play ) and they are likely to come at lower points .

Last edited:
My 2 cents worth....clubs going out recruiting now will compromise the culture of the club , unless short on numbers or there is player 'buy in'.
Don’t disagree ringo1 , but it provides a massive opportunity for clubs to get players back on the cheap who the club wanted to keep and were a good fit for that clubs culture .
I’m sure most clubs/ coaches would at same stage of a year think how good would it be if player ‘x’ was still here .

GOTAFE GVL Season 2020 Update

The GOTAFE Goulburn Valley League’s (GVL) number one priority continues to be the health and wellbeing of its supporters, players, umpires, officials, partners, volunteers and committees and everyone across all our local communities.
Both AFL Victoria and Netball Victoria have issued statements and a series of recommendations in relation to return to small group training for community football and netball in recent weeks. Both organisations continue to work with key stakeholders and State Government to try and map out a possible return to play for Community football and netball.
The GVL Board and Presidents of all twelve of its member clubs met last night to review State Government advice so far, as well as the advice of AFL Victoria and Netball Victoria, and discuss next steps. At that meeting, the best way forward was discussed at length.
GVL Board Chairman David Roff said, “The GVL is aiming for a return to play date of 18 July for all grades of football and netball. However, we will continue to await the announcements from State Government, which are expected on 22 June, in relation to the easing of restrictions, including those around crowd numbers, the numbers of people at outdoor gatherings, whether contact training and play can resume and numbers in a hospitality setting. These announcements will be major deciding factors as to whether the 2020 season goes ahead or not.”
Another President’s meeting will be scheduled to happen the week commencing 22 June 2020 at which point expected announcements made by State Government up to that date will enable member clubs and the league to make a final decision around whether the 2020 season will commence or not.
GVL Operations Manager Josephine Spencer said, “We are continuing to work with all twelve of our member clubs and are exploring alternative fixture and competition options. It is our aim to be able to facilitate a season in some form, but this is of course dependent on the easing of restrictions by State Government.”
The GVL understands that this is a trying time for everyone and would like to take this opportunity to thank all our club volunteers, club executives and committees, players and community members for their patience and ongoing support as we navigate through these unprecedented times.
For the latest news from the GVL please visit our website www.gvleague.com.au or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Last Modified on 11/06/2020 09:41

The GOTAFE Goulburn Valley League’s (GVL) number one priority continues to be the health and wellbeing of its supporters, players, umpires, officials, partners, volunteers and committees and everyone across all our local communities.
Both AFL Victoria and Netball Victoria have issued statements and a series of recommendations in relation to return to small group training for community football and netball in recent weeks. Both organisations continue to work with key stakeholders and State Government to try and map out a possible return to play for Community football and netball.
The GVL Board and Presidents of all twelve of its member clubs met last night to review State Government advice so far, as well as the advice of AFL Victoria and Netball Victoria, and discuss next steps. At that meeting, the best way forward was discussed at length.
GVL Board Chairman David Roff said, “The GVL is aiming for a return to play date of 18 July for all grades of football and netball. However, we will continue to await the announcements from State Government, which are expected on 22 June, in relation to the easing of restrictions, including those around crowd numbers, the numbers of people at outdoor gatherings, whether contact training and play can resume and numbers in a hospitality setting. These announcements will be major deciding factors as to whether the 2020 season goes ahead or not.”
Another President’s meeting will be scheduled to happen the week commencing 22 June 2020 at which point expected announcements made by State Government up to that date will enable member clubs and the league to make a final decision around whether the 2020 season will commence or not.
GVL Operations Manager Josephine Spencer said, “We are continuing to work with all twelve of our member clubs and are exploring alternative fixture and competition options. It is our aim to be able to facilitate a season in some form, but this is of course dependent on the easing of restrictions by State Government.”
The GVL understands that this is a trying time for everyone and would like to take this opportunity to thank all our club volunteers, club executives and committees, players and community members for their patience and ongoing support as we navigate through these unprecedented times.
For the latest news from the GVL please visit our website www.gvleague.com.au or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Last Modified on 11/06/2020 09:41
Good on them for squashing the speculation and being transparent .
Only shame was the denial when Rochester announced it a couple of weeks ago.

The Geelong League. No player payments and I’m sure they would get
Some form of sponsorship to cover other costs.

Who covers the insurance in a pandemic?

What’s the process of a team that has a player test positive when they have played over that weekend against another VFL side.

What happens the week after to the fixture if a positive result comes up from the weekend before?

Sorry to be a negative nancy but I’d be interested to know the answers to these questions ...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What’s the process of a team that has a player test positive when they have played over that weekend against another VFL side.

What happens the week after to the fixture if a positive result comes up from the weekend before?

Sorry to be a negative nancy but I’d be interested to know the answers to these questions ...

I don't have the answers..I'm only the messenger lol.

AFL’s insurer Marsh ( previously known as JLT) have previously advised the liability insurance cover is the same for covid as any other incident / illness . In basic terms clubs are covered unless they deliberately cause someone to get covid .
The government will determine what occurs if a outbreak occurs anywhere , including at the footy / netball or within a workplace .
No different to attending the supermarket or seeing or being near a child that has returned to school .

Last edited:
Well there are no community transmissions occuring in the state, so we are seeing opening of restrictions, crowds at games allowed, so the landscape has changed significantly from a month ago,

people have now downloaded the app, not going out when they are unwell, I got my temp checked at the dentist yesterday to ensure I had no high temp before I was seen, if people follow the rules and regs community transmissions will stay at 0, if you can a couple thousand at the AFL in a moe dense environment, then 500 in an open Enviro in country footy should be easily managed as long as you shut grandstands and have restrictions for indoor parts then why is going to the footy different to going to Bunnings at the moment?

AFL’s insurer Marsh ( previously known as JLT) have previously advised the liability insurance cover is the same for covid as any other incident / illness . In basic terms clubs are covered unless they deliberately cause someone to get covid .
The government will determine what occurs if a outbreak occurs anywhere , including at the footy / netball or within a workplace .
No different to attending the supermarket or seeing or being near a child that has returned to school .

What about the rest of my questions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn Valley FL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back