Goulburn Valley FL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it that inferior anymore? The gv has dropped right off, yes there's been exodus this year in Bendigo, but strath, gisborne, sandhurst and square, are just as good as ky, Euroa and Seymour

I'd say Moama need to go as well, battle of the bridge and rochy stay in the gv, as they recruit bendigo players and they could recruit some from echuca then too

Exactly... why would they want to go to, an at this present time, inferior competition. They'd be better off going to the O and M.
There appears to be a significant amount of angst with AFLGM / GVFL over numerous matters , whilst the majority of their juniors go off to uni in Bendigo or Ballarat .
The fact their juniors are also now with Bendigo Pip’s gives greater alignment to Bendigo .
There also appears to be a feeling that if Bendigo were to be self administered they would quickly advance in standard and professionalism akin the O&M .
There has been rumours linking them to O&M but I couldn’t see it .

Is it that inferior anymore? The gv has dropped right off, yes there's been exodus this year in Bendigo, but strath, gisborne, sandhurst and square, are just as good as ky, Euroa and Seymour

I'd say Moama need to go as well, battle of the bridge and rochy stay in the gv, as they recruit bendigo players and they could recruit some from echuca then too
It's a mile off IMO. Maryborough will be lucky to make it to the starting line. Square lost most of their top-level players. Gisborne will leave at the end of this year. Rochy and Echuca, despite their rivalry would hate to be separated.

It's a mile off IMO. Maryborough will be lucky to make it to the starting line. Square lost most of their top-level players. Gisborne will leave at the end of this year. Rochy and Echuca, despite their rivalry would hate to be separated.
Where do you rank Bendigo v Murray ? I think there are plenty who believe the gap between the Murray and gvl has never been closer .

Would win games by 10 goals plus most weeks and more others. Right atm Echuca is outgrowing the GV but to go back to a league that is at best just surviving would surprise. For it to work, they would need to have Moama and Rochester go with them.
And is it just me or does this rumour about Echuca, or Rochester, only come up a few weeks before the start of a season... never at the end??
Or do I miss it coz I'm drowning my sorrows post season in the fact the bombers have missed finals for the 20th straight year 🍺😁
#7000daysandcounting

And is it just me or does this rumour about Echuca, or Rochester, only come up a few weeks before the start of a season... never at the end??
Or do I miss it coz I'm drowning my sorrows post season in the fact the bombers have missed finals for the 20th straight year 🍺😁
#7000daysandcounting
It was very prominent for the most of last year as were the rumours of Moama looking to join GVL .

2 cents in here. I don't think it's worth the likes of Echuca and Rochester to join Bendigo. Competition not as strong which will eventually lead to these clubs dropping in standard. You do eventually succumb to your surroundings (Both clubs very proud). What the GV needs is 2 really strong Shep teams. Shep is the Hub and currently has no buzz about it. Players from outer leagues don't want to come into town and get smashed every week. Having 2 strong Shep teams creates some rivalry around town and a buzz back into the hub of the GV.

Response to comment surrounding the gap between Murray and GV being the closet it's ever been. I have to disagree. I think it's further away as a whole. Yea the top 3-4 teams have probably pegged back the bottom teams of the GV but the remaining teams in the Murray have dropped off and at very quick rate. Rumba and United would be down the bottom in the KDFL. Watched a couple of Murray league games this year. Outcomes based on talent/players not system and game plan.

I think echuca and Moama are better off now in Bendigo, that's where the majority of kids would go for work and uni rather than towards shepp. Even bendigo is closer to Melbourne than shepp as well, so there's less travel for players to return and recruit.

I can't see the shepp sides ever getting back to their powerdal days,

I think echuca and Moama are better off now in Bendigo, that's where the majority of kids would go for work and uni rather than towards shepp. Even bendigo is closer to Melbourne than shepp as well, so there's less travel for players to return and recruit.

I can't see the shepp sides ever getting back to their powerdal days,
Echuca
Moama
Kyabram
Seymour
Eaglehawk
Strathfieldsaye
Sandhurst
Golden Square
Tatura
Rochester
Sth Bendigo

Shep United
Shep Swans
Shep Bears
Benalla
Mansfield
Cobram
Barooga
Mulwala
Numurkah
Euroa
Mooroopna

Kyneton
Castlemaine
Maryborough
Gisborne GWS?
Kangaroo Flat
Maiden Gully
Hepburn
Daylesford
North Bendigo
Riddell

Other options obviously

Last edited:
Echuca
Moama
Kyabram
Seymour
Eaglehawk
Star
Strathfieldsaye
Sandhurst
Golden Square
Tatura
Rochester
Sth Bendigo

Shep United
Shep Swans
Shep Bears
Benalla
Mansfield
Cobram
Barooga
Mulwala
Numurkah
Euroa
Mooroopna

Kyneton
Castlemaine
Maryborough
Gisborne GWS?
Kangaroo Flat
Maiden Gully
Hepburn
Daylesford
North Bendigo
Riddell

Other options obviously
Wouldn't be opposed to the first league set up there. Majority of teams there are well established. The remaining 2 would be interesting, might bring some clubs down a peg.

While I've got time. Have a crack at ranking the current top 10 players/most influential in the league. Personally, I feel the last 2 seasons the league medal hasn't represented our best players. I would argue the past 2 winners would struggle to make the top 10. No offense to both players just my opinion. For perspective Will Hayes polled once or twice in the first 10 rounds.

1. Sam Reid
2. Will Hayes
GAP
3. Mick Mattingly
3. Joe Atley
4. Sam Willoughby
5. Ethan Penrith
6. Jett Trotter (When on-can be argued struggles against good teams)
7. Z Norris
8. Ryan Pendlebury
9. Riley Smith
10 L.Smith-C.Valentine-D.Koenen (All do the same thing)

Honorably mentions.
Patty Marks
Kaine Herbet
Ben Rigoni
Liam Tenace
Keelin Betson
Frazer Dale
Lachlan Murphy Dale

Would be interesting to see how of these players played interleague last year.

Echuca
Moama
Kyabram
Seymour
Eaglehawk
Strathfieldsaye
Sandhurst
Golden Square
Tatura
Rochester
Sth Bendigo

Shep United
Shep Swans
Shep Bears
Benalla
Mansfield
Cobram
Barooga
Mulwala
Numurkah
Euroa
Mooroopna

Kyneton
Castlemaine
Maryborough
Gisborne GWS?
Kangaroo Flat
Maiden Gully
Hepburn
Daylesford
North Bendigo
Riddell

Other options obviously
With Ky , Echuca and a Rochy now aligned to Bendigo Pio’s don’t think them joining the Bendigo league would be the craziest idea . Also think Ky’s had their issues similar to Echuca .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 cents in here. I don't think it's worth the likes of Echuca and Rochester to join Bendigo. Competition not as strong which will eventually lead to these clubs dropping in standard. You do eventually succumb to your surroundings (Both clubs very proud). What the GV needs is 2 really strong Shep teams. Shep is the Hub and currently has no buzz about it. Players from outer leagues don't want to come into town and get smashed every week. Having 2 strong Shep teams creates some rivalry around town and a buzz back into the hub of the GV.

Response to comment surrounding the gap between Murray and GV being the closet it's ever been. I have to disagree. I think it's further away as a whole. Yea the top 3-4 teams have probably pegged back the bottom teams of the GV but the remaining teams in the Murray have dropped off and at very quick rate. Rumba and United would be down the bottom in the KDFL. Watched a couple of Murray league games this year. Outcomes based on talent/players not system and game plan.
Believing Shepp is the ‘HUB’ appears to be the cause of many clubs angst .
Your comments regarding rumba and United is probably warranted although IiRC United beat ‘ Cobram ‘ who played off in the granny , which they led for most of , the year before .
IMO ‘ talent ‘ will always outplay ‘ systems and game plan ‘ at non professional level .

Believing Shepp is the ‘HUB’ appears to be the cause of many clubs angst .
Your comments regarding rumba and United is probably warranted although IiRC United beat ‘ Cobram ‘ who played off in the granny , which they led for most of , the year before .
IMO ‘ talent ‘ will always outplay ‘ systems and game plan ‘ at non professional level .
Hence why it’s important to have good shep teams.

Yea that’s fair but that’s an outlier. A good way to determine an actual clubs performance is their points for and against. You’ll find more info in that than the ladder it’s self.

I’ll challenge you on the talent beats game plan at non professional levels. Would Echuca have won their flags without the press they play? Would you agree euroa have more a graders than Echuca?

Hence why it’s important to have good shep teams.

Yea that’s fair but that’s an outlier. A good way to determine an actual clubs performance is their points for and against. You’ll find more info in that than the ladder it’s self.

I’ll challenge you on the talent beats game plan at non professional levels. Would Echuca have won their flags without the press they play? Would you agree euroa have more a graders than Echuca?
Only seen one coach dismantle the press and that was Lamont last round 2022.

You've gotta beat echuca in the contest and move the ball constantly. Euroa should have won in 22, their bottom 6 skill level let them down in the last qtr. Echuca are a super talented side too, their talent is head and shoulders above the rest.

You need contested ball winners and fanatical Pressure and outside run to beat echuca

You've gotta beat echuca in the contest and move the ball constantly. Euroa should have won in 22, their bottom 6 skill level let them down in the last qtr. Echuca are a super talented side too, their talent is head and shoulders above the rest.

You need contested ball winners and fanatical Pressure and outside run to beat echuca

Statistically Echuca aren’t the greatest at the contest. They apply pressure on the ball constantly which creates turnover. Once ball in hand they have terrific runners and set up quickly to lock the ball in. I would almost say the contest doesn’t matter too much (it will help) but the ball must move constantly and shift their defence. Eliminate their time to setup and you can score.

Name Echuca’s talent that are above the rest of the league

Echuca and rochy always aligned to pios, I remember playing under 15s with a few echuca boys back in 97. Micky Braun drafted at of the pios, ash Watson was a pio in 2001
I think johnno#7 was alluding to that fact in his earlier post.... In my memory Rochy and Echuca were always aligned with the Pioneers. Oliver, Anderson, Aitken et al all played with Pioneers. Hence the Bendigo connection in relation to recruiting with Rochy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn Valley FL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back