Review Grade your team’s draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide is a solid 'B' for me this draft period.

Read the tea leaves for the Michalanny bid, meaning we picked up a late-first round prospect (rated by the best in the business in Sydney) with loose change which is the major driver for this grade. Dowling and Bond seem to also fit that "ultra-tough" profile of footballers we've loved in this rebuild and we didn't pay much in trades for either, so seems like a pair of pass marks at this point. All in all, a solid draft.
B is too high imo

B is too high imo

Nah they deserve it for saving a 2nd round pick instead of having it eaten by a bid.

If that bid comes in at 25 though, it'd probably be a low C considering it was a tad paint by numbers post that point and that move removed a pathway to Barnett/Ryan etc.

Adelaide is a solid 'B' for me this draft period.

Read the tea leaves for the Michalanny bid, meaning we picked up a late-first round prospect (rated by the best in the business in Sydney) with loose change which is the major driver for this grade. Dowling and Bond seem to also fit that "ultra-tough" profile of footballers we've loved in this rebuild and we didn't pay much in trades for either, so seems like a pair of pass marks at this point. All in all, a solid draft.
Good draft, yet the best pure midfield prospect from 4 years of rebuilding is…Berry? Soligo? maybe Dowling himself?

Certainly of the strangest rebuilds I can remember

Good draft, yet the best pure midfield prospect from 4 years of rebuilding is…Berry? Soligo? maybe Dowling himself?

Certainly of the strangest rebuilds I can remember

For the position we were in, and noting we'd exited the draft to pick up someone on the cusp of superstardom in Rankine (and really we were lucky gold coast hadn't begun to run him in the midfield as that would have added another first round pick), it's a solid to good draft. The key though is through protecting that 2nd rounder. No point burning it with a F/S if you can avoid it.

Probably Soligo at this point with Berry as a close 2nd. Hard to turn down that first year. Raw talent, probably Pedlar then Rankine/Rachele, but all three have some sort of transition ahead of them. However that transition has always been a common pathway for players, especially the offensively gifted ones.

I don't know if it's been that strange either. The name of the game for rebuilds have always been get talent in and build a culture that doesn't **** them up. The rest tends to sort itself out at this phase.

For the position we were in, and noting we'd exited the draft to pick up someone on the cusp of superstardom in Rankine (and really we were lucky gold coast hadn't begun to run him in the midfield as that would have added another first round pick), it's a solid to good draft. The key though is through protecting that 2nd rounder. No point burning it with a F/S if you can avoid it.

Probably Soligo at this point with Berry as a close 2nd. Hard to turn down that first year. Raw talent, probably Pedlar then Rankine/Rachele, but all three have some sort of transition ahead of them. However that transition has always been a common pathway for players, especially the offensively gifted ones.

I don't know if it's been that strange either. The name of the game for rebuilds have always been get talent in and build a culture that doesn't * them up. The rest tends to sort itself out at this phase.
I understand the priority is to accumulate talent but big body, contested possession mids are the most important players in the game and have been the basis for most, if not all, flags. They aren’t easy to get either, like key forwards they usually go really early in the draft.

Rankine and Rachele will go in to the midfield at least part time but they won’t ever be big bodies. It looks a significant risk of building something like Essendon (with far better defensive pressure and coaching).

I get that Rankine probably is too good to be pass up, but geez Bailey Humphrey was exactly what the Crows midfield needed.

Those of us in the Blue and Gold half of the West would probably give our recruiters an A.

Ginbey wasn’t the unanimous pick, especially when Mattaes Phillipou was available, but drafting Ginbey paired with Hewett as opposed to Ed Allen was the right call as far as we’re concerned and helped mitigate any disappointment in flushing away the Poo
No one disapproves of Harry Barnett being taken with our third, and Cody Burgiel seems a proper bargain.
Noah Long was a minor surprise but those in the know reckon it’s a great end.
Couple that with the Cat B rookie signings of Dewar and Baker, a very solid few days.
The slight disappointment was re-rookie drafting Zane Trew when many of us thought there were superior options available- we were all happy to keep Winder

North - A

Very happy with who we got, but feel we went into the test with the answers.

• Wardlaw and Sheezel were no brainers
  • George fell into our lap
  • Harvey we had committed to with our last pick.

Including our first rookie pick, 4 out of the 5 picks are medium/small forwards. A bit of a concern when we have holes in other areas. We clearly went best available at every pick by the look of it.

With 2 first rounders next year, hopefully we’re in a position to grab a tall forward and back.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You have up a lot to get Weddle

In terms of points it well may be the equivalent of pick 4 if you have a disappointing season next year

I'd be a tad disappointed with the off season if I were a Hawks fan. I just think they have little to show for getting rid of Mitchell, O'Meara, F2 amd F3

We are only guessing at the minute though, maybe Weddle turns out to be a gun and Hawthorn have a better than expected year
Equivalent of Pick 4? What are you on about

We have a pick in each round next year with a top 20 f/s

Equivalent of Pick 4? What are you on about

We have a pick in each round next year with a top 20 f/s

Will be a win-win trade both clubs tend to do it the right way. Hawks wanted Wedlle, they went and got him. Sydney were happy to take the kid at 27, plus a f2. How people grade drafts 2 days after I have no idea especially with how unknown this draft was, every recruiter was guessing more than usual.

Will be a win-win trade both clubs tend to do it the right way. Hawks wanted Wedlle, they went and got him. Sydney were happy to take the kid at 27, plus a f2. How people grade drafts 2 days after I have no idea especially with how unknown this draft was, every recruiter was guessing more than usual.
Yeah looking at the swans draft it seemed like they had no interest drafting vic suburban kids. Went with the more rural country selections Echuca, Gippsland etc... So would make sense to trade out high picks when the best selections aren't right because go home factors or what not.

I can see why the swans did it even if they did rate Weddle or some other guys at that pick. If they can get the guys that are absolutely right for them with lesser picks and improve future draft hands what's the risk.

Also considering you guys already have a very strong young core I can see why they wouldn't want to invest time onto guys who they weren't 100% sure wanted to be there and risk the groups continuity as they push for the 🏆

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have up a lot to get Weddle

In terms of points it well may be the equivalent of pick 4 if you have a disappointing season next year

I'd be a tad disappointed with the off season if I were a Hawks fan. I just think they have little to show for getting rid of Mitchell, O'Meara, F2 amd F3

We are only guessing at the minute though, maybe Weddle turns out to be a gun and Hawthorn have a better than expected year

At worse (if we finish dead last) it was giving up roughly 27 + 15 for pick 18. No where near 4. A heavy price to pay but for a guy we rated in the top 10, you have to give up quality.

If we finish around 6th, similar to this year, it would be 27 + 23 for 18.

Not sure where you pulled that number from.

Yeah looking at the swans draft it seemed like they had no interest drafting vic suburban kids. Went with the more rural country selections Echuca, Gippsland etc... So would make sense to trade out high picks when the best selections aren't right because go home factors or what not.

I can see why the swans did it even if they did rate Weddle or some other guys at that pick. If they can get the guys that are absolutely right for them with lesser picks and improve future draft hands what's the risk.

Also considering you guys already have a very strong young core I can see why they wouldn't want to invest time onto guys who they weren't 100% sure wanted to be there and risk the groups continuity as they push for the 🏆

Also when you are contending as we’d like to be our selections are very needs based and specific.

At worse (if we finish dead last) it was giving up roughly 27 + 15 for pick 18. No where near 4. A heavy price to pay but for a guy we rated in the top 10, you have to give up quality.

If we finish around 6th, similar to this year, it would be 27 + 23 for 18.

Not sure where you pulled that number from.
That was a confusing post. I'm not sure you actually no what the deal was?

"That could be an incredible deal for the Swans, given most expect the Hawks to be a wooden spoon contender in 2023. Sydney may end up giving away 18, but getting roughly 20, 27 and 40 – which would be a huge return."

20, 27 and 40 would equate to 2029 points

Pick 4 = 2034 points

That was a confusing post. I'm not sure you actually no what the deal was?

"That could be an incredible deal for the Swans, given most expect the Hawks to be a wooden spoon contender in 2023. Sydney may end up giving away 18, but getting roughly 20, 27 and 40 – which would be a huge return."

20, 27 and 40 would equate to 2029 points

Pick 4 = 2034 points

I know what the deal was.

I don't think any recruiter worth their salt is going to equate pick 4 to pick 20, 27 and 40 outside of bid matching. This isn't AFL 2005 where you can bundle a bunch of average picks for rolled gold.

But lets assume it matters.

With Pick 18 in return (for a bloke we allegedly rated in the top 10) in a worst case scenario we have lost out on pick 17 worth of value (2023-985 = 1038, equivalent of pick 17).

If we rated Weddle at 10 we essentially gave up the equivalent of pick 30 to obtain him. Looking at the body language of the recruitment team they looked absolutely ecstatic that we nailed the deal especially considering we were phoning around as early as the Dees pick to look to move up the boards.

It all depends now on how Weddle progresses and how Hawthorn finish their season to truly realise the cost.

I know what the deal was.

I don't think any recruiter worth their salt is going to equate pick 4 to pick 20, 27 and 40 outside of bid matching. This isn't AFL 2005 where you can bundle a bunch of average picks for rolled gold.

But lets assume it matters.

With Pick 18 in return (for a bloke we allegedly rated in the top 10) in a worst case scenario we have lost out on pick 17 worth of value (2023-985 = 1038, equivalent of pick 17).

If we rated Weddle at 10 we essentially gave up the equivalent of pick 30 to obtain him. Looking at the body language of the recruitment team they looked absolutely ecstatic that we nailed the deal especially considering we were phoning around as early as the Dees pick to look to move up the boards.

It all depends now on how Weddle progresses and how Hawthorn finish their season to truly realise the cost.
As I've said numerous times, if he ends up being as good as Hawthorn rate him than it's obviously a great trade.

Doesn't change the fact that Hawthorn gave up A LOT to get him. In points value it's the value of pick 4, no matter what way you spin in.

Clearly they rate him higher than any other recruiter. Time will tell whether it's a genius move or another Liam Stocker.

No idea how you've ended up with the equivalent of pick 17? You used 18 for Weddle so you can't claim to have got that pick along with him.

As I've said numerous times, if he ends up being as good as Hawthorn rate him than it's obviously a great trade.

Doesn't change the fact that Hawthorn gave up A LOT to get him. In points value it's the value of pick 4, no matter what way you spin in.

Clearly they rate him higher than any other recruiter. Time will tell whether it's a genius move or another Liam Stocker.

No idea how you've ended up with the equivalent of pick 17? You used 18 for Weddle so you can't claim to have got that pick along with him.

We gave up hypothetically pick 4 (points value, in reality we gave up a mid 2nd rounder and hypothetically an early 2nd and 3rd, shit I think most people would take pick 8-10 before those bundled picks let alone 4) in a worst case scenario and in return gained pick 18 (which was used on Weddle).

On a point based system it the difference is around pick 17 in value that Sydney have added. We didn't give up all those picks for free. If we valued Weddle around the tenth best available talent, we have given up around pick 30 in value which sounds a lot nicer.

We gave up hypothetically pick 4 (points value, in reality we gave up a mid 2nd rounder and hypothetically an early 2nd and 3rd) in a worst case scenario and in return gained pick 18 (which was used on Weddle).

On a point based system it the difference is around pick 17 in value that Sydney have added. We didn't give up all those picks for free. If we valued Weddle around the tenth best available talent, we have given up around pick 30 in value which sounds a lot nicer.
Haha 🤦‍♂️

No, where he was rated is irrelevant to what you gave up

Even if he ends up being the number one player in the draft, you still gave up the equivalent of pick 4 in points

What you are suggesting now is that you have up 17 and 30 for him...

Haha 🤦‍♂️

Even if he ends up being the number one player in the draft, you still gave up the equivalent of pick 4 in points

We gave up the equivalent of pick 4 in points (assuming we are spooners in this hypotehtical) and in return received 18 (Weddle).

2044 - 985 points = 1035 which is the equivalent of pick 17.

It was a trade. We didn't give those picks for free.

Give it a solid B for Carlton at this stage (no plus or minus)

Lemmey is most likely a long term prospect who may get one or two games late in season (esp if Charlie or Harry get injured/suspended) but I think we are happy to see him ply his trade mostly in the VFL.

Cowan is the one that intrigues the most.

We gave up the equivalent of pick 4 in points (assuming we are spooners in this hypotehtical) and in return received 18 (Weddle).

2044 - 985 points = 1035 which is the equivalent of pick 17.

It was a trade. We didn't give those picks for free.
I have not once suggested you got nothing back

What I am saying is that for Weddle you gave given up the equivalent of pick 4 in points

Just like every trade, you get something back, does change the fact you have given up that for him.

Just like Richmond gave up the equivalent of pick 4 to get Taranto

If Richmond value him at pick 4 it doesn't mean they got him for free, they still had to give up those picks to get him.

I am now stupider for having this conversation with you

Haha 🤦‍♂️

What you are suggesting now is that you have up 17 and 30 for him...
That's just proof that the points weighting is rubbish.

Serious question.... How did you rate the saints drafting?

Another question, your thoughts on Ross Lyon playing youth next season?

aussierulesrules and joop and projectv thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grade your team’s draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back