Oppo Camp Graham Wright (Once loved, now loathed).

Remove this Banner Ad

How about the fact that he ran his own business which was one of the largest talent management agencies for 20 years?

Wright has no experience whatsoever in the business side of things or an organisation.

It’s why nobody has offered him a role …

How the Blues have run this “search for a successor” and landed on the guy who knows nothing about being a CEO is laughable really.
Carlton hierachy
1728442007958.jpeg

A lot of people are pointing the finger at Kelly but this is the 2nd time in a short time that GW has left a club with rumours of him being unhappy with someone at the club.

A lot of people are pointing the finger at Kelly but this is the 2nd time in a short time that GW has left a club with rumours of him being unhappy with someone at the club.
He disliked Nathan Buckley and Ned Kelly.

First things first: Carlton suck.

OK, now we’ve gotten that out of the way …

… Wright has done a fantastic job at Collingwood …

The mark of a good tenure is leaving the joint in better shape than when you joined.
  • Premiership count went from 15 to 16
  • Objectively better onfield results with the resources at our disposal
  • Salary cap apparently in better condition

… and he achieved all that in very tumultuous times. In the 3 years he was with us we had 3 Presidents, 2 CEO’s and a transition of senior coaches and wholesale changes to the FD staff. Most organisations would point to such instability as an excuse for failure. But Wright was a steady hand.

And he did it serving multiple roles. He was effectively the list manager for most of the time. And served a stint as interim CEO. Can’t blame him for wanting a six month sabbatical after all of that.

I guess we’ll never really know what happened behind the scenes …

- I just hope that our board didn’t do something stupid like overlook Wright for the CEO role simply because they thought he was too valuable in the footy department.

- I just hope that our board did their fair due diligence on Wright for the CEO role and concluded that he would be the worst CEO in the world.

IMG_0795.gif

I'm dissatisfied with the news, but there's no denying that Wright did a good job with us over the last couple of years. We wouldn't be so wound up by it otherwise.

Some of his notable achievements at the club:
  • Got our salary cap issues in order.
  • Exited Buckley in a dignified manner.
  • Appointed Fly, and restructured our football department and coaching panel.
  • List manager and recruited subsequent premiership players in Lipinski, Hill, Frampton, Mitchell and Markov.
  • Acting CEO for a brief period of time inbetween Anderson and Kelly.
The disappointing nature of the situation is the manner of the exit and the way it was handled by both parties, and the fact that he's joining an arch-rival.

It's well known Wright harboured ambitions to become a CEO one day. Whether he's up to the CEO role at Carlton is another question. However, there's no sugarcoating the disappointment of losing him in the first place.

Last edited:
If we get Houston ahead of Carlton this week and beat them in the GF next year then the angst of Wright to Carlton will fade away....

Wright has been employed twice by the club and in both cases performed admirably. Pity about the sabbatical business but there is a background here I have no idea about & from what I read I'm in good company.

Loyalty cuts both ways. Can't expect Loyalty from all players & staff but show zero should they choose to move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying really hard to be mature about this. To recognise the good things Wright did for us. To thank him for helping to steady the ship when he joined us during a very difficult period. To wish him all the...

No, can't do it, terrible choice of club.

But I'm looking forward to the renewal of the CFC board and president, to Wright's replacement, and to stablity.

What a disappointing end result by GW. Carlscum of all clubs. What also amazes me is he spent years at the hawks to assist with their success since 2007. 4 Flags. Yet only manages to last 2 years at Collingwood and I am not counting this year.

Carlton will win it next year, they will have another soft draw playing the bottom 4 teams twice again along with minimal injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Graham Wright (Once loved, now loathed).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back