Oppo Camp Graham Wright (Once loved, now loathed).

Remove this Banner Ad

well he is officially a blue-bagger, which is such an odd term for a club to embrace. The first time that I heard it, it conjured up images of a little old lady carrying a bag of veggies down lygon street. When you think about it, there is a connection between that image and their list....
Carlton image
1728526746907.jpeg

I think that GW is not a fan of trading draft picks for experienced players to stay at the top. He thought we should renew quickly after the 2023 flag. His last 2 pieces of work, while I think the right decisions, we were essentially r*ped of what we paid for Shultz and received for Ginivan. It makes me wonder whether it was his mini revenge.

Who knows for sure who is right, but he may be underestimating the quality of Naicous, Moore and JDG. If all three fit and firing, as good as any top three going around. Expect we all underestimated the quality that are veterans have continued to produce.

Time will tell if GW is a magician, who was fantastic with the 2023 trades and free agents, brought in Fly, so we have a lot to thank him for. I just hope that bluebaggers continue to be almost a bride …

I am guessing Kelly’s mantra is to trade to keep up the top, and that management have bought into this. No proof, but just what I have surmised from the media reports.

I think that GW is not a fan of trading draft picks for experienced players to stay at the top. He thought we should renew quickly after the 2023 flag. His last 2 pieces of work, while I think the right decisions, we were essentially r*ped of what we paid for Shultz and received for Ginivan. It makes me wonder whether it was his mini revenge.

Who knows for sure who is right, but he may be underestimating the quality of Naicous, Moore and JDG. If all three fit and firing, as good as any top three going around. Expect we all underestimated the quality that are veterans have continued to produce.

Time will tell if GW is a magician, who was fantastic with the 2023 trades and free agents, brought in Fly, so we have a lot to thank him for. I just hope that bluebaggers continue to be almost a bride …

I am guessing Kelly’s mantra is to trade to keep up the top, and that management have bought into this. No proof, but just what I have surmised from the media reports.
Isn't that exactly what he did at Hawthorn? Many Hawk fans blame him for overpaying at the trade table to stay on top, with him and Clarkson seemingly responsible for their position before Mitchell came in to re-build the list and find some young talent.

"his mini revenge"? For the personality difference he was planning on having/growing over this season? Try again.

my vision involves some old lady with pearls and an overcoat holding a blue bag....staggering down lygon street falling into the gutter...

I grew up thinking it was Blues + brown paper BAGS = bluebaggers. I was disappointed to discover I was under the wrong impression and it was a term of endearment.

Last edited:
....I am guessing Kelly’s mantra is to trade to keep up the top,..m
This is Football dept stuff - maybe run it past the CEO who should ask the hard questions but if the CEO establishes the trade - draft strategy then I would imagine the FD might be less than enamoured

Isn't that exactly what he did at Hawthorn? Many Hawk fans blame him for overpaying at the trade table to stay on top, with him and Clarkson seemingly responsible for their position before Mitchell came in to re-build the list and find some young talent.
I agree with that, but I thought I read that he thought at Hawthorn they should have renewed their list more quickly and was the main point of difference with the board, possibly Kelly.

I find the manner in which he has left indicative of someone who has not happy. On top that his last two actions, which I think were the right moves overall, were his worst two ‘public’ results achieved in terms of what we paid and received.
It points to someone who was disgruntled.

Read my response to Vinnie, might help you out a bit
You are seriously suggesting Wright deliberately entered into(what you see as) sub-optimal trades because he was disgruntled?

Effectively, he was sandbagging the club?

That is possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read on BF, including the stuff I have written myself.

Congratulations. Quite an achievement.

I agree with that, but I thought I read that he thought at Hawthorn they should have renewed their list more quickly and was the main point of difference with the board, possibly Kelly.

I find the manner in which he has left indicative of someone who has not happy. On top that his last two actions, which I think were the right moves overall, were his worst two ‘public’ results achieved in terms of what we paid and received.
It points to someone who was disgruntled.
This is Football dept stuff - maybe run it past the CEO who should ask the hard questions but if the CEO establishes the trade - draft strategy then I would imagine the FD might be less than enamoured

I am just guessing. Kelly is a football person, and would have thought as CEO would bring his football knowledge and influence to bear on the overall strategic direction of all the departments, including the football department. As CEO he should be influencing strategy and vision, while taking input from the football department. A decision to sustain the list with top ups appears to be a clear strategic direction talked up by the Chairman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Graham Wright (Once loved, now loathed).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back