Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

It was widely reported he was looking for a career break which included a European summer. He thought that meant he needed to resign. No reason to think there is something that isn't adding up.

I hope that’s the case

Hopefully he comes back

But the “meeja” seems to think he won’t or it will be a different role.

Yeah his record off the field is as good as anybody in footy.
On the field he was highly underrated IMO. If I remember correctly:
  • Burst onto the scene kicking 21 goals in his first 7 games from a wing in 1988, (including a bag of 6 at Waverley against the Dawks).
  • Highly skilled and rarely beaten in a contest at half-back through his career. Always used to look for him when there was a loose ball in the backline, and would usually say, "It's all right cos it's Wright!"
  • Runner-up in the Brownlow (by one vote) in the 1990 premiership year, despite Millane winning the Coaches MVP award, and Tony Shaw winning the Copeland. Note this team also included Gavin Brown and Peter Daicos, so a pretty fair achievement.
What a magnificent centreline

Millane Shaw wright

None better ever for us

It’s reported he wants or prefers to take a CEO role which will be extremely difficult for him as he has been a footy boss for the most part.

I can see the club offering him a role under Kelly working closely perhaps as a grounding and learning to eventually become a CEO somewhere if not with us down the road.

If he doesn’t want to continue as a footy boss with us he won’t just leave to do the same role elsewhere as such.

It was widely reported he was looking for a career break which included a European summer. He thought that meant he needed to resign. No reason to think there is something that isn't adding up.

No one ever returns to their job after long service leave ...

It’s reported he wants or prefers to take a CEO role which will be extremely difficult for him as he has been a footy boss for the most part.

I can see the club offering him a role under Kelly working closely perhaps as a grounding and learning to eventually become a CEO somewhere if not with us down the road.

If he doesn’t want to continue as a footy boss with us he won’t just leave to do the same role elsewhere as such.
Create what ever role he wants and stick him in it, worth his weight in gold and would not want to see him plying his trade elsewhere.

Maybe as part if succession planning. Wasn't
It reported that Ned in time will take over from Browne?

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m more puzzled by the fact that Wright wanted to resign in the first place?

He had only been with us 3 seasons when he made the call and we won the flag in his third season.

So he was happy to be at Hawthorn for 15 years with no break but the. Wants to leave us after 3?

Something isn’t adding up
His wife was keen to go on an extended Summer holiday to Europe. They’d never had an opportunity in the past due to GW’s work commitments.

It’s that simple.

He understood it was big ask to take leave for 6 months so he offered his resignation.
But thankfully a compromise of a sabbatical was reached.

Nothing to see here.

It's now being reported that we are in negotiations to have him return to the club instead of jumping ship on return.

I thought he was on leave not that he has left...
Negotiations would relate to internal issues and ideas about improvement rather whether he stays.

If we wanted to cut ties completely he’d have declined the sabbatical.
Which would then allowed the Club to seek a replacement.
I doubt he’s the type of bloke to string us along, and then dump us.

His wife was keen to go on an extended Summer holiday to Europe. They’d never had an opportunity in the past due to GW’s work commitments.

It’s that simple.

He understood it was big ask to take leave for 6 months so he offered his resignation.
But thankfully a compromise of a sabbatical was reached.

Nothing to see here.
Occam's razor, but i guess there's no sexy story in that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has ruined us like he ruined the Hawks after their flags

I suspect that the Hawks would have some good words for the man.

We're ordinary, but there's a few things which have put us in this position. Hold onto perspective.

I mean it’s crazy it’s taken this long for someone in the media to mention it. But also, the club let him go. They’re more to blame than Wright..

It was an arrogance at the time, they’ve been arrogant all off season and it’s shown.

But specifically, what moves did he make that you feel ruined us? Genuine question.

I think he got the the decision wrong around Shultz v Ginnivan, and we should seriously never ever trade away a future first pick again since the first time (in fact, I think we need to never trade away any first rounder for a good amount of time). Like never ever. I'm so p!ssed at this one.

We are in a lot of trouble with a very old list, limited young talent coming through, and Tassie and Gold Coast looking like they'll hoover up all the young talent for a while. Big risk we waste the next 5+ years of Nick the way we did with Bucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back