Toast Graham Wright not Mucking around at the Trade Table

Remove this Banner Ad

His comments around the cap opening up after ‘23 suggest there’s truth in the rumours around Grundy’s contract being 1 year upfront and nothing ongoing. The hawks chipping in for Mitchell helps offset our contribution too.

Mentioned Bobby Hill as a Sam all forward winger that wants to go through the midfield eventually. Sounds like we have allot more ambition for him than just as a forward.

Mentioned Bobby Hill as a Sam all forward winger that wants to go through the midfield eventually. Sounds like we have allot more ambition for him than just as a forward.
Interesting - that lines up with the things manicpie has said about him.

His comments around the cap opening up after ‘23 suggest there’s truth in the rumours around Grundy’s contract being 1 year upfront and nothing ongoing. The hawks chipping in for Mitchell helps offset our contribution too.

Except one offsets the other to some extent .. if we are paying 700 upfront for Grundy and recieving 400 for Mitchell…. That frees up just 300 which would need to be allocated towards Mitchell from 2024 onwards, assuming he’s not signed up for peanuts.

Except one offsets the other to some extent .. if we are paying 700 upfront for Grundy and recieving 400 for Mitchell…. That frees up just 300 which would need to be allocated towards Mitchell from 2024 onwards, assuming he’s not signed up for peanuts.

Mitchell had 800k owed with only 2023 remaining. It’s highly likely he has spread that out over 3 years on about 400k
So 3x400 which is significant unders and a win for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell had 800k owed with only 2023 remaining. It’s highly likely he has spread that out over 3 years on about 400k
So 3x400 which is significant unders and a win for us.
We don’t know what he’s on from 2024 onwards. He’s on 800 next year and hawthorn are paying half. If he’s on more than 400 per annum in the following two years which is quite likely, then we will need to fund the extra in the cap.

Which is all I’m saying.

It’s good that we are paying grundy upfront and it’s good that Mitchell is being subsided. But in terms of freeing up cap in 2024, these two things ( plus finding a bit more for mitchell) will largely net out to not much.

I

We don’t know what he’s on from 2024 onwards. He’s on 800 next year and hawthorn are paying half. If he’s on more than 400 per annum in the following two years which is quite likely, then we will need to fund the extra in the cap.

Which is all I’m saying.

It’s good that we are paying grundy upfront and it’s good that Mitchell is being subsided. But in terms of freeing up cap in 2024, these two things ( plus finding a bit more for mitchell) will largely net out to not much.

I

He’s owed 800 next year but similar to the Bowes deal, when you extend the years (1 year deal out to 3 in Mitchell’s case) you can smooth the money over and that’s exactly what we’ve done.

Therefore over the 3 years it must contain at least 800, and usually the trade off is a bit more than the 800 over the length of the deal. My guess would be 1.2-1.4 mil over 3 years.

He’s owed 800 next year but similar to the Bowes deal, when you extend the years (1 year deal out to 3 in Mitchell’s case) you can smooth the money over and that’s exactly what we’ve done.

Therefore over the 3 years it must contain at least 800, and usually the trade off is a bit more than the 800 over the length of the deal. My guess would be 1.2-1.4 mil over 3 years.

Probably going around in circles but we only get the hawthorn subsidy next year, regardless of how we structure Mitchell’s package.

So in 2024 the tpp goes down by 700 with removal of the Grundy subsidy which apparently has been negotiated up front, and up by 400 with the Mitchell subsidy finishing given he only had one year left on his hawthorn contract. Net we free up “ only” 300k, some of which might need to go towards Mitchell depending on how his salary is structured.

Probably going around in circles but we only get the hawthorn subsidy next year, regardless of how we structure Mitchell’s package.

So in 2024 the tpp goes down by 700 with removal of the Grundy subsidy which apparently has been negotiated up front, and up by 400 with the Mitchell subsidy finishing given he only had one year left on his hawthorn contract. Net we free up “ only” 300k, some of which might need to go towards Mitchell depending on how his salary is structured.
Hawthorn's payment towards Tom Mitchell isn't his entire contract - It's probably more like the difference between what he's owed next year ($800k) and what we'll be paying him the following two years ($400k), so that Mitchell's salary remains constant for the three year deal we have him.

Mitchell's going to get 3 years, $1.6m, but we're paying him $400k in each season, so his salary never "goes up" from our perspective.

Hawthorn's payment towards Tom Mitchell isn't his entire contract - It's probably more like the difference between what he's owed next year ($800k) and what we'll be paying him the following two years ($400k), so that Mitchell's salary remains constant for the three year deal we have him.

Mitchell's going to get 3 years, $1.6m, but we're paying him $400k in each season, so his salary never "goes up" from our perspective.
That’s only true if we are “ only” paying him 400k in 2024 and 2025. It looks light on to me. I’ve been assuming he’d be getting a bit more than 400. Nowhere near 800 of course.

Sorry if my messaging wasn’t clear.

What about the rest of the money freed up from 2024 by getting off the books? The subsidy is only relevant for a year no?

What about the rest of the money freed up from 2024 by getting off the books? The subsidy is only relevant for a year no?

Not sure I understand the question And everybody time I reply I confuse things even more.

My basic point is that the grundy and Mitchell subsidies ( If all paid in 2023 as assumed) will net out and we will only free up cap by the net amount .

So when people assume we have all this money for a free agent when the grundy subsidy is gone.... it’s not 100 percent true .

I understand your logic in that we have to pay Mitchell from ‘24 onwards. As others have said that’s a new contract and I’m not sure of the $. Grundy was rumoured to be on closer to $1 million though, albeit we’re rumoured to be contributing much less for one season only. Using the 400k you said for Mitchell, with Grundy’s 1 mill we’re looking at 600k difference.

Another aspect is money put aside for a Henry contract extension, which have been factored into ‘23. Unless we bring in a delisted player or preseason rookie I assume we’ll bring some money forward from other contracts. At a guess there’s potentially 250-300k between extending Henry and a draftee.

Obviously there’s a stack of other contracts in the mix too.

Edit: looking at it another way using the figures in here (could be different)

2023 -
Grundy - we pay 650k / 1 mill
Mitchell - we pay 400 / 800k

Effectively Grundy and Mitchell are all but cost neutral for next year.

Grundy - we pay 0 / 1 mill
Mitchell- we pay 400 / 400

Last edited:
Well probably never know but my understanding is that Melbourne is paying 700 and Collingwood 150. Grundy also took a pay cut so he’s only on 850 ( whether that’s down from 900 or from 1m is something we’ll also never know)

Back on thread topic... GW has done a great job but the real proof will be when we see how our recruits go.

My basic point is that the grundy and Mitchell subsidies ( If all paid in 2023 as assumed) will net out and we will only free up cap by the net amount .

So when people assume we have all this money for a free agent when the grundy subsidy is gone.... it’s not 100 percent true .
That is what I thought when I posed the question in another thread. I just couldn't see the more 'money' angle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright not Mucking around at the Trade Table

Remove this Banner Ad

Back