Toast Graham Wright not Mucking around at the Trade Table

Remove this Banner Ad

if you look at the discussion from last year, he was spoken about as a possible trade for a pick 35.....I think he offers the pies something that they want more of and they're willing to pay in draft picks

Quite a few clubs desperate for a future second pick now and we shipped ours off early. I think this was a premature move for Hill when this pick could easily end up being around 25 next year.

It's all very well to get deals sorted quickly but i think this one was overs for a fringe player. Also I hate trading future picks when there is so much risk on what the pick could be.
I don’t think our second rounder would be anywhere close to 25

Everybody can over pay and undersell, it’s not hard. So no kudos there. He’s picked players that we need, they look like good fits but they are unproven at the outputs we require of them. We over paid for Hill and McStay.

We over paid for Treloar, but you could at least see what you were getting. He is and was a talent. D order to over pay at that top end and get a Taranto, Hopper or a Whitfield and have a proper crack at a premiership than fiddle around the edges. Of course you need to do your due diligence lest you end up with an Beams situation.

Everybody can over pay and undersell, it’s not hard. So no kudos there. He’s picked players that we need, they look like good fits but they are unproven at the outputs we require of them. We over paid for Hill and McStay.

We over paid for Treloar, but you could at least see what you were getting. He is and was a talent. D order to over pay at that top end and get a Taranto, Hopper or a Whitfield and have a proper crack at a premiership than fiddle around the edges. Of course you need to do your due diligence lest you end up with an Beams situation.
Hill may be a ? But fail to see how we overpaid for McStay. Maybe contract length but didn’t cost a thing re draft capital and big mobile forward Don grow on trees so the 500k reported deal seems pretty good to me. FA loading in that of course.

I don’t think our second rounder would be anywhere close to 25

just a matter of opinion. Pick 25 means finishing 11th and it's pretty clear that is possible next year if things don't go right.

It should not be overlooked that we were outplayed for long periods of the games against the likes of North Melbourne and Adelaide this year. In fact, the only comfortable win that jumps out at me was against Freo!

The powerful, locked-in top four teams routinely dish out 40-point wins. We need to improve significantly to be at that stage. This is why I am against gambling with our future picks at this stage.

Hill may be a ? But fail to see how we overpaid for McStay. Maybe contract length but didn’t cost a thing re draft capital and big mobile forward Don grow on trees so the 500k reported deal seems pretty good to me. FA loading in that of course.
Up to $650k reported 5 year deal is pretty big. We won’t be paying Mihocek that sum, McStay doesn’t kick enough goals to be worth that much, 25 goals in a prelim making side is not good enough. We might be thinking he’s a better fit for our system, and will perform better as a focal point but you don’t pay for that in negotiations. Cap space is almost more valuable than picks in todays environment.

Up to $650k reported 5 year deal is pretty big. We won’t be paying Mihocek that sum, McStay doesn’t kick enough goals to be worth that much, 25 goals in a prelim making side is not good enough. We might be thinking he’s a better fit for our system, and will perform better as a focal point but you don’t pay for that in negotiations. Cap space is almost more valuable than picks in todays environment.
Read on here somewhere the compo band the Lions received puts his salary much less than that. No other big forward on the market I’m aware of either, I think he’ll be worth it.

Read on here somewhere the compo band the Lions received puts his salary much less than that. No other big forward on the market I’m aware of either, I think he’ll be worth it.

+ if our coaching panel can get the most out of him (see Darcy Cameron, Ash Johnson) then he could be excellent value

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might turn into a roast thread depending on the Henry trade..

Let’s hope the tag stays green by the end of trade period.

It better not. The man who wore the number 19 was my idol growing up. I couldn't handle the roasting of my favourite player of all time. He can do no wrong in my book. :blush:

It better not. The man who wore the number 19 was my idol growing up. I couldn't handle the roasting of my favourite player of all time. He can do no wrong in my book. :blush:
I was a huge pudgy fan as a kid too. So I’m with you!

Peoples assessment on over/under pay are largely guess work. We won’t be able to properly assess until at least the players have had a chance to show what they offer to the team dynamic.

Peoples assessment on over/under pay are largely guess work. We won’t be able to properly assess until at least the players have had a chance to show what they offer to the team dynamic.
Yes but my point is that in a negotiation you shouldn’t be paying for said player becoming a star in your system, but more on historical performance…or at least that should be the case for McStay. Younger players I agree there is a development aspect, and that needs to be accounted for.

Amazing how posters with a more negative spin on the recruitment of McStay gravitate to the $650k 5 year claim, those more positive the $500-550k 5 year deal.

I didn’t want him, don’t really have a dog in the fight, but the weight of evidence seems to support the $500-550 claim IMHO. Now he’s here, he has my full support and I look forward to him delivering toward our long term success.

Last edited:
Yes but my point is that in a negotiation you shouldn’t be paying for said player becoming a star in your system, but more on historical performance…or at least that should be the case for McStay. Younger players I agree there is a development aspect, and that needs to be accounted for.

That’s just hyperbole.

Amazing how posters with a more negative spin on the recruitment of McStay gravitate to the $650k 5 year claim, those more positive the $500-550k 5 year deal.

I didn’t want him, don’t really have a dog in the fight, but the weight of evidence seems to support the $500-550 claim IMHO. Now he’s here, he has my full support and I look forward to him delivering toward our long term success.
If it was towards the $650 k mark, I’d imagine the compo pick would have been better than a second rounder

The media still wants to push the 650k line. And still can't mention the potential Grundy deal without adding that the Pies are willing to pay 300k a year to get him off our books.

yeah as if wed pay 650k!
its not like he's chris mayne!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright not Mucking around at the Trade Table

Remove this Banner Ad

Back