Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

I do agree though that if GW is not fully committed to the cause then both parties should agree to part ways.
Same applies to any employee at any organisation.

Do we know for sure that is the case with Wright? Or are we just presuming?

I haven't seen any evidence he offered to resign. He planned 6 month sabbatical with the club's approval.
He offered to resign and the club convinced him to take a sabbatical instead. It's common knowledge.

Might explain why he did the Schultz future first trade. One last gamble to be a hero if it resulted in another premiership, maintain good relationships with player agent/freo by making sure the trade gets done but also not his problem if it's mortgaging Collingwoods future list cause he won't be around and won't be his problem.

I haven't seen any evidence he offered to resign. He planned 6 month sabbatical with the club's approval.
Mentioned numerous times he offered his resignation and Browne talked him out of it. Together they came up with the 6 month sabbatical/consultancy role until his return in late August.

He probably offered it because he wanted a break and didn’t think it to be fair in the club to ask for leave.
Exactly. It would be a very arrogant person to ask for 6 months off from your job during the peak period & expect them to cover for you.

He did what most decent people would do if they needed extended time off & had long planned something like this with their family. Likely something they had planned after he left the Hawks & before COVID.

No doubt we over paid for Shultz, but he was one year away from FA where Freo would have likely got a much earlier pick anyway if they had kept him than last year’s first rounder.

Our error was:

1. Thinking that he was a key piece for a premiership defence

2. Not thinking we could fill the role internally

3. Not considering who was coming out of contract that we could target with a 2024 first rounder.

"Claims" never substantiated. Even Fox attributes the "claims" to The Age, rather than stating this as fact.

You are correct in that the Fox article refers to the The Age:

'According to The Age, Wright offered his resignation last December before Collingwood president Jeff Browne declined it...'

Not unusual for media sources to quote each other.

I and many others read that as Wright resigned.

But I'm not gonna die on this hill.

Not sure its all that pertinent now - or at least until we understand Wright's intentions on returning.

He did great things at the end of 22 when he recruited five players from opposition teams that improved our list immeasurably.We wouldn’t have won the premiership last year without those players,pure and simple.But he blotted his copybook somewhat by getting Schultz in last year for a first round player, a trade that just can not be justified,except for hubris,perhaps.It’ll be interesting to see if he does come back to the club in September,and in what capacity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s for the best. Did a wonderful job early days in helping orchestrate the appointment of Fly, helping sooth the salary cap mess + some key player movement in and out.

Looking forward to someone like Leppa heading up list management.
Looking forward to someone who doesn’t have experience in list management heading up list management ?

How did that turn out for us last time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back