Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Really dropped a giant turd of a trade period on us last year knowing he waa quitting and didn't have to face the consequences of mortgaging our future.

Looking forward to someone who doesn’t have experience in list management heading up list management ?

How did that turn out for us last time?

I’m sure Leppa has plenty of experience in and around these things.

Also, a criticism of Wright was that he overpaid to get deals done quickly. I’m open to the idea of someone else giving it a crack.

Mentioned numerous times he offered his resignation and Browne talked him out of it. Together they came up with the 6 month sabbatical/consultancy role until his return in late August.
Browne should have accepted the resignation and moved on and appointed someone else
Everyone is replaceable

Hope he enjoyed his full pay sabbatical. Clearly the man lacks integrity. Good riddance.
Horrible take. He clearly desired to move and the club was keen to keep him so rejigged his role to support the fact he was taking the LSL he is entitled to, whether we personally disagree with his decision or not sadly it isn't up to us.

he would have got a godfather offer to be part of of the new Tassie side
should have quit when he went for his 6 month jaunt over in Europe
he knew he was never coming back, left us in limbo
He offered to go but Jeff Browne didn’t accept his resignation

well that is on us then, if you have to convince someone to keep his $600k plus job, there is a problem
seems clear he had no intention to stay though
I think we would have accepted his resignation if GW was definitely moving to the AFL or had certainty about a new role elsewhere.
Obviously the AFL has subsequently made an offer he couldn’t refuse.

On one hand it's a bit sad to see a favorite son go, especially after he was partly responsible for our flag last year. But on the other hand he's made a career of paying overs to get deals done. Good luck to him, hopefully he lands the job in Tassie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty shit form tbh.

Should have done a handover for 12 months.

Well he did actually resign, but the club wouldn't accept it, and told him they will keep a position open for him upon his return.
Obviously the role he thought he may have had, isnt there anymore, and he has decided to move on.
We will get a new footy boss, Leppa goes into list management and Bolton probably goes as well.
We should be thankful for Wrighty for coming in, and cleaning up the salary cap, and the football department by getting in the right people, that ultimately helped us to a premiership.
He has done a fantastic job, a loss for our club, but a gain for the AFL, and he will more than likely be overseeing the incoming Tasmanian team.
Thank you, Wrighty.....

Thanks Wrighty for your service. Came in at a time when salary cap was a shambles and hopefully has helped navigate us through these troubled times.
It surprises me that we didn't accept his resignation at the beginning of the year and simply move on. Everyone is replaceable and now looking forward to the club reviewing list management, recruitment and coaches over the off season.

I've got confidence in Ned and the board finding the right person here. We need some focus on these areas with the upcoming trade / draft period critical.

It's a shame it only lasted three years. Had a great impact and was a big reason for last year's success so for that he has my gratitude.

In hindsight, Browne and the board would have been better off accepting his resignation rather than letting this play out for another 12 months.

I suspect Wright will either work for the AFL or be involved in the new Tasmanian team.

How frustrating is it to see situations like this, it is so very Collingwood. We get everyone into place for one season and win a flag, then fcuk it all up by moving everyone around. Why can't we just lock administrators and coaches in for a few seasons (make some minor adjustments where needed) and have a serious crack at 2 or 3 flags? Oh well.....

We should have found a replacement for him this year, instead of what looks (from the outside) as a very Collingwood-esque half-arsed arrangement that Eddie would have been proud of. As recently as last week, Fly commented publicly about how much he missed Wright this year.

Anyway, moving on, I thank Wright for his three years of outstanding service and his role in helping us to a flag.

No-one is irreplaceable and if we get this right (no pun intended) and make the most meritorious appointment and/or move current people into their best positions, then we may come out better off.

I’m sure Leppa has plenty of experience in and around these things.

Also, a criticism of Wright was that he overpaid to get deals done quickly. I’m open to the idea of someone else giving it a crack.
Not only overpaid but also got unders when we traded out players like Ginnivan, Henry, Grundy, Adams which always puts us in a disadvantageous position to attack the draft.

He was good for when we needed to just top up to put the finishing touches to a premiership list but I don't think he's the right man for the job when we need to regenerate and extract as much draft capital as possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back