Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Supporters aren’t owed continuous disclosure on career options being considered by execs or footballers

If you sit on corporate boards, c-level execs often have confidential conversations with you as they contemplate what next

Nothing is served by a public running commentary

It would merely give you less options to retain high quality people as they would confide in others outside the board

I don’t disagree with most of what you’ve written, but aren’t members more like shareholders than supporters? Therefore deserve to be kept a bit more in the loop? Or at least have some transparency and accountability around major decisions.

Shows how Terrible the Club Handled last years Off Season

Seriously Dave. Twitter as a source? Clickbait. Be proud of the club and the success we are having.

Please find some positiveness instead of taking every opportunity to bag the club.

Wright has been brilliant for us. Browne and the board are stable and have delivered us a flag.

This is not an unusual executive decision. It goes down like this in many companies.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t disagree with most of what you’ve written, but aren’t members more like shareholders than supporters? Therefore deserve to be kept a bit more in the loop? Or at least have some transparency and accountability around major decisions.
Not sure of the origin of this idea of members being akin to shareholders, but it's bonkers. Might be more accurate to call members "subscribers".

If the club was to inform members on every major decision being discussed within the club, they may as well just release a statement to the media and tell everyone.

Well that’s disappointing. Only stuck around for 3 years. Not sure you count this year though.

This was - or would have been - his fourth year. Was in the role from about the start of 2021.

Supporters support

Members support and pay to be formally affiliated to the club via a membership - this causes higher stress levels

Stakeholders have a stake in the place which has been known to put a stake in their heart

Whingers complain and make others stressed

Long term supporters suffer and try to make others suffer with them

Lots of posters happily (unknowingly?) post sh#te here

It's nearly springtime so it's footy finals and some old b#stards who should know better are getting their old MG sports cars out, polishing the red duco and thinking of driving to the Portsea pub to relive the old days....

The way I see it is that GW offered his resignation after being involved at the highest level as a player, coach and administrator for 36 years before heading off on a holiday for 6 months.
We value him big time because of the success he had at Hawthorn and then with us so we didn’t want to lose him.
We made him an offer in the hope he would come back to the Pies on his return from holiday.
It was worth the risk but ultimately it hasn’t paid off.
Move on to the next best now.

I think the club should have cut ties the moment he said he wanted out. It's simple- you don't want to be a part of us-there's the door. I don't care who you are. It clearly means you are not invested be it a player or boot studder. See ya later! Next up please.

And surely he isn't in line for any key role in the AFL given their new guidelines for those who broadcast the game? He is the perfect example of the type of person they are wanting us to see less of in the AFL administration and commentary boxes. Unless they are still basing their decisions on merit for the really important jobs.
So one of the architects of our flag has pressure from his wife to finally have a Summer European holiday, and offers his resignation, knowing its a big ask for the Club to give him the time off.
You suggest we should have told him to &%uk off, and not offered a compromise.

Man - you have no idea how to manage valuable employees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not really understanding the consternation about his sabbatical among some of our fans and the media.

Wright tried to offer his resignation in December last year, citing burnout. Jeff Browne, recognising that Wright is an elite football manager, devised the plan to have Wright take the year off and travel overseas in the hopes it would refresh him.

It was a gamble that didn't pay off. But I like the club attempting something left-field (for a football club) to try and retain good staff.

And frankly, Wright was instrumental in us getting #16 - first with recruiting Fly and then with our list decisions to bring in key cogs. He earnt the right to take leave.

Not sure of the origin of this idea of members being akin to shareholders, but it's bonkers. Might be more accurate to call members "subscribers".
I believe what you’re referring to is actually a “donor” where there’s no obligation of content being provided. A “subscriber” is due content for their subscription payment which has possibly been withheld here if the scenario you mapped out is true.

A shareholder receives voting rights at an organisations AGM as does a member of the Collingwood football club hence the linkage of the two. At least from me.

I believe what you’re referring to is actually a “donor” where there’s no obligation of content being provided. A “subscriber” is due content for their subscription payment which has possibly been withheld here if the scenario you mapped out is true.

A shareholder receives voting rights at an organisations AGM as does a member of the Collingwood football club hence the linkage of the two. At least from me.
Most members sign up for their tickets to attend games - that's their content. How many members can or do vote? Bugger all.

100%! I cannot fathom how people are so forgiving.
You allow a major leader in the business to just take off for the year,
Destabilising the whole coaching hierarchy, and it’s ok?
How many other professional organisations would this happen in?
Do you remember Mick saying star players get more leeway?
Same applies to star employees - good organisations know this in the 21st Century.

100%! I cannot fathom how people are so forgiving.
You allow a major leader in the business to just take off for the year,
Destabilising the whole coaching hierarchy, and it’s ok?
How many other professional organisations would this happen in?
If you have 36 years worth of long service leave, any organisation would allow it. They don't have a choice.

In my opinion the club was happy to foster the narrative among the supporter group that allowing Wright his 6 month sabbatical was a way to retain his services as GM of Football.

Effectively we allow him to take long service leave and he returns come September to resume a position within the club for future seasons.

In reality he quit but we begged him to hold off making an absolute final decision for 6 months so we could spin the story and we hoped we could convince him to change his mind.

That didn't work and nor did our season.

Not our finest hour.

In my opinion the club was happy to foster the narrative among the supporter group that allowing Wright his 6 month sabbatical was a way to retain his services as GM of Football.

Effectively we allow him to take long service leave and he returns come September to resume a position within the club for future seasons.

In reality he quit but we begged him to hold off making an absolute final decision for 6 months so we could spin the story and we hoped we could convince him to change his mind.

That didn't work and nor did our season.

Not our finest hour.
So basically we just wanted to give him extra time hoping he'd change his mind.

Not sure it's bigger than that. We obviously value him highly.

Some you win, some you don't.

Provides an opportunity for someone else to fill the role.

Seriously Dave. Twitter as a source? Clickbait. Be proud of the club and the success we are having.

Please find some positiveness instead of taking every opportunity to bag the club.

Wright has been brilliant for us. Browne and the board are stable and have delivered us a flag.

This is not an unusual executive decision. It goes down like this in many companies.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Been Mentioned on SEN

It”s disappointing news,but not surprising.Many people have been saying all year that he wouldn’t return to the club,and that is exactly what’s happened.

I can’t understand why he agreed to the six month sabbatical idea when his heart clearly wasn’t in it.And why the club offered him the sabbatical idea when they must have known that he wanted out at the end of last year.

Anyway,there’s going to be big changes in the administration now.The most important job at the club is clearly going to be list management with so many players about to retire in the next few years,and a major rebuilding of the list required.Let’s hope Leppitsch is up to the task,if in fact he gets the job,as rumoured,

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back