Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

So one of the architects of our flag has pressure from his wife to finally have a Summer European holiday, and offers his resignation, knowing its a big ask for the Club to give him the time off.
You suggest we should have told him to &%uk off, and not offered a compromise.

Man - you have no idea how to manage valuable employees.
Nonsense. If he had asked for time off the Club would never have hesitated for one moment in giving him whatever time he needed to refresh himself. He did not ask for time off- he resigned.

If it was a simple matter of more money or a more comfortable office, I'd be happy to negotiate. He said I want to quit.

It was clear to most on this forum that he was not coming back and we were proven correct. As Leigh Matthews rightly said, the moment you start contemplating retirement or quitting the job you are in, it is time to go. You might equivocate and postpone the inevitable, but it is done.

You don't want to be here? No worries. Thanks for everything and all the best. Now let's look for someone who wants to be a part of this club/business/band and move on.

I disagree on the "BS from the start" part. It seems entirely reasonable for the club to have said, "take the sabbatical, and if on your return you are still of the mind to resign, so be it". They were just leaving the door open for a return.

And maybe the AFL Tas job has surfaced in the meantime. Maybe your mate was bought off by the suits at head office?

+ we’ll pay you some holiday spending money for consulting to us remotely.

Fly said in a recent interview that he had been catching up with Wright regularly. Fair to assume he’s been a useful resource this year despite being away.

So basically we just wanted to give him extra time hoping he'd change his mind.

Not sure it's bigger than that. We obviously value him highly.

Some you win, some you don't.

Provides an opportunity for someone else to fill the role.
I’ve had a bit of back and forth re how it’s been communicated, but I do feel the crux of the issue is ultimately what this looks like. If we revert to the 2021 structure where for a brief time we had Selwood as list manager and GW as the GM of footy with the right candidate to replace GW I think most can let it all go. I’ve suggested Daly and McCartney, but I’m sure there’s other strong candidates out there. One point though is we need someone with the training wheels off. Imagine Dodorro or heaven forbid Lethlean 🤮

I’ve had a bit of back and forth re how it’s been communicated, but I do feel the crux of the issue is ultimately what this looks like. If we revert to the 2021 structure where for a brief time we had Selwood as list manager and GW as the GM of footy with the right candidate to replace GW I think most can let it all go. I’ve suggested Daly and McCartney, but I’m sure there’s other strong candidates out there. One point though is we need someone with the training wheels off. Imagine Dodorro or heaven forbid Lethlean 🤮
Lethers would be a great get.

Nonsense. If he had asked for time off the Club would never have hesitated for one moment in giving him whatever time he needed to refresh himself. He did not ask for time off- he resigned.

If it was a simple matter of more money or a more comfortable office, I'd be happy to negotiate. He said I want to quit.

It was clear to most on this forum that he was not coming back and we were proven correct. As Leigh Matthews rightly said, the moment you start contemplating retirement or quitting the job you are in, it is time to go. You might equivocate and postpone the inevitable, but it is done.

You don't want to be here? No worries. Thanks for everything and all the best. Now let's look for someone who wants to be a part of this club/business/band and move on.
If he was committed to resigning then he would not have accepted a sabbatical.

It's because he did not expect to be given a sabbatical that he offered his resignation - only then to be pleasant surprised with the offer to take leave.

I reiterate, you give latitude to valuable employees - that's the way the world works today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure of the origin of this idea of members being akin to shareholders, but it's bonkers. Might be more accurate to call members "subscribers".

Both members and shareholders (as a collective) have the authority to call an EGM?

Both members and shareholders have the authority to vote at AGM’s?

Surely we don't have to concern ourselves with those options 🤢

Lethers would be a great get.
Sorry mate I threw that out to see if you’d bite hah. In all seriousness though we could definitely do worse. Only a gut feel, but my guess is it’s Maxwell’s if he wants it. My gut is pretty rough though so my take doesn’t count for shit on that front.

Sorry mate I threw that out to see if you’d bite hah. In all seriousness though we could definitely do worse. Only a gut feel, but my guess is it’s Maxwell’s if he wants it. My gut is pretty rough though so my take doesn’t count for shit on that front.
Hadn't thought about it - but it could work. A bit of a step down from Club CEO, but Kelly is good mates with him, they'd work well together and he'd be a decent succession plan down the track.

How do we attract quality to our club when our boss won't even return to the club after a holiday. This is a very bad look and sets us back many years to be considered a destnation club.

Many.

Sabbaticals are a thing, and in some industries a very common thing (such as academia)

It’s a way of providing high performing talent with an opportunity to take a break and refresh without having to resign.
Heads of organisations do not, especially 9 months and especially during the most active time for the business.
This is also on the club.

I reiterate, you give latitude to valuable employees - that's the way the world works today.

There’s latitude and then there’s latitude.

At an AFL club which should have/could have been contending for its 17th flag, that’s a helluva lot of latitude.

But I’ve said enough, what’s done is done, I’m very grateful for Wright’s time with us, and I look forward to the next stage of Fly’s tenure, which could look a little (a lot?) different in terms of the structure which supports him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back